Celebrity's alcohol policy - strictly enforced

pennstater

I returned from my first Celebrity cruise (and first real cruise) several days ago - Constellation 12/3/05 - and was extremely disappointed to find that Celebrity is indeed enforcing their policy for bringing alcohol aboard. After reading so many posts here stating that this policy is not enforced, I proceeded to tell DH and our friends that we would able to buy some alcohol before boarding and take it on with us. Boy, did I feel crappy when our friends bought some wine (that they wouldn't otherwise have purchased) only to have it taken until the end of the cruise.

Not only did we have all our bottles taken away, we were not allowed to have them brought to dinner. Here is what happened: We arrived around 6:00pm and purchased wine and some liquor from the duty free store at the terminal. We were allowed through security just fine, but at the end of the gangway, there was a table set up with a staff person stopping everyone and asking if we had any alcohol. He even went so far as to stop one woman that was carrying a plastic bag from the duty free store so he could inspect it (she told him it was only soda, but he trotted over and had her open the bag to prove this.) Now, if we had known we needed to be sneaky, we could have put the bottles in our carryons and lied to him, but I'm not much of a 'rule breaker'. I truly had the impression that it wouldn't be a problem. To make matters worse, he said that we would get our bottles back at the end of the cruise - when I questioned this, he very firmly reinforced the ship's policy. So I asked him how there could be a corkage fee in the dining room if no one is allowed their wine until the last night of the cruise. He told me to speak with Guest Relations if I had a complaint. I'll admit I didn't do this because I'd feel strange using Cruise Critic as my resource to counter the posted Celebrity policies.

Even if I had wanted to be sneaky and lie about my alcohol (basically leaving it to drink in our room, not with dinner), what about those folks I have read about that bring special bottles of wine from home to consume with dinner? How would you get around the 'not until the end of the cruise' policy? For all you Celebrity veterans, did I miss something in the previous postings that would have eliminated this misunderstanding?

BTW - they did the same thing when returning from ports - including St. Thomas, which was the last day... they took it for a total of 1 hour before delivering it to our room with the rest of our bottles from San Juan.

Any information would be much appreciated! Thanks!

OH - we did have a nice time overall (despite some rain basically everyday and other bumps along the way) and I'll post a review later.

Might this type of crack down have more to do with the duty free nature of the alchohol? I know that any duty free alchohol purchased on board is held to the end of the cruise as well.

In any case, even on CC, some of us have stated that the X policy is that no alchohol can be brought aboard, even tho' many do.

Sorry you and your friends had yours held. I hope it didn't mar your cruising enjoyment, and I appreciate your posting this information on the boards.

Susan

I returned from my first Celebrity cruise (and first real cruise) several days ago - Constellation 12/3/05 - and was extremely disappointed to find that Celebrity is indeed enforcing their policy for bringing alcohol aboard. After reading so many posts here stating that this policy is not enforced, I proceeded to tell DH and our friends that we would able to buy some alcohol before boarding and take it on with us. Boy, did I feel crappy when our friends bought some wine (that they wouldn't otherwise have purchased) only to have it taken until the end of the cruise.

Not only did we have all our bottles taken away, we were not allowed to have them brought to dinner. Here is what happened: We arrived around 6:00pm and purchased wine and some liquor from the duty free store at the terminal. We were allowed through security just fine, but at the end of the gangway, there was a table set up with a staff person stopping everyone and asking if we had any alcohol. He even went so far as to stop one woman that was carrying a plastic bag from the duty free store so he could inspect it (she told him it was only soda, but he trotted over and had her open the bag to prove this.) BTW - they did the same thing when returning from ports - including St. Thomas, which was the last day... they took it for a total of 1 hour before delivering it to our room with the rest of our bottles from San Juan.

OH - we did have a nice time overall (despite some rain basically everyday and other bumps along the way) and I'll post a review later.

I suspect it was taken because you bought it at the duty free shop...even though this was your embarkation port. There has never been any problem bringing wine aboard if purhased in the states with the tax paid. Almost always they will hold any alchoholic purchases made at ports of call--they are all duty free. I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise! :D

Oh! I see Susan posted just before me and had the same idea about the duty free nature of the purchases.

I suspect it was taken because you bought it at the duty free shop...even though this was your embarkation port. There has never been any problem bringing wine aboard if purhased in the states with the tax paid. Almost always they will hold any alcoholic purchases made at ports of call--they are all duty free. I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise! :D

I wondered the same, but in almost every daily program, Celebrity detailed their policy which stated that no alcohol may be consumed onboard that was not purchased onboard. I kept the programs, so I'll look up the specific wording, but it didn't seem that they were only taking the duty-free stuff. I was just too embarrassed to take up the issue with the staff at the time.

Just got back from RT on Infinity...took on board 6 bottles of wine in our carry-on....no problems...other CC members brought on wine as well from their home state....perhaps it has to do with each embarkation rules? As far as I can tell, most lines state that you can bring on wine...and I would fight that at the embarkation area if they denied you that option! LuAnn

We recently returned from Constellation this month and my husband successfully packed a case of beer (cans) into his checked luggage. It made it through fine. I also packed a plastic bottle of vodka in my checked luggage and had no problems.

There is no duty on beer and wine. Hard liquor, yes.

When one young crew member tried to confiscate my bottle of Moet purchased at the duty free (and for more money than at home btw), I told him when pigs fly and to go get his supervisor. I further stated that there is no duty on wine. etc.,

I just kept on walking...right to the elevator.l

Heck I brought two cases of wine onboard in Chile.. and crew members helped me carry them.

Specifically, I'm wondering about those that say they brought it on without trying to hide it (ie, packed in bags) - and also those that brought wine from home to consume with dinner. I have read several posts stating that this was not a problem. Of course I could have tried to hide it (had I known they were enforcing the policy to the extent they did) but I would also then be forced to drink it only in our cabin and not with dinner.

I'm thinking that Celebrity is now enforcing their policy, at least when the liquor is plainly visible.

On the Celebrity website it clearly states wine is allowed.. and what the corkage fees are.

Am I missing something? This is what I read from Celebrity's website:

"What is Celebrity's liquor and alcohol policy?

Subject: Food and Beverage

No alcoholic beverages may be purchased ashore for consumption onboard.

Onboard purchases from the gift shop of any bottle of liquor will be held until the last night of the cruise when it will be delivered to the stateroom.

Celebrity Cruises will not serve alcoholic beverages while a vessel is at sea to guests under 18 years of age.

In port, the minimum drinking age is 18 or 21, in accordance with local legal age limits.

Is there a corkage fee in the main restaurant?

Subject: Food and Beverage

Wine purchased by or on behalf of our guests from our selection of bon voyage gifts are not subject to a corkage fee. Gifts of wine delivered to the ship by an authorized vendor will be subject to a corkage fee of $15 per bottle.

Please note in accordance with our liquor policy our guests may not purchase liquor ashore for consumption on board. Beer, Wine or Spirits brought onboard by our guests will be placed in storage and returned on the last day of the voyage. Alcohol purchased in our onboard shops will be delivered to the guest stateroom on the final day of the cruise."

Seems to me that they are saying the only wine OK to have brought to dinner and consume with the corkage fee is the stuff they sell as "bon voyage gifts", not something purchased off the ship.

You could have just happened to get a staff person who was not willing to bend any rules, or didn't know the difference between liquor and wine. We have always been allowed to carry on bottles of wine, we have also noticed bottles of liquor being confiscated at the gangway. We have been asked in the past, after our carry on bags go through the scanner, to open the bag so they can make sure it is just wine or champagne.

During our first two cruises, we did smuggle Gin and Vodka aboard in our carry-ons. We actually purchased leak proof plastic bottles and transferred our booze to those bottles. This was strictly for use in our suite. We did not have any problem with boarding on both Mercury and Century.

For our last two cruises, we purchased the Bon Voyage Liquor Packages, and really liked the convenience of having them in our suite shortly after we arrived. During our 10 night cruise on Galaxy in Oct., we ran out and our butler obtained another Bon Voyage Liquor Package for us to have in our suite. Since each package comes with 6 cans of soda, we had a number of unused cans of ginger ale in our cabin :D. For the convenience, the price of $50.00 per package isn't all that bad, because the bottle is a litre rather than the American fifth, you get 6 cans of soda, and the nut and mix package is quite generous. [We have three of those nut packages sitting unopened in our pantry. :D]

We have already ordered our Bon Voyage Liquor packages for our Jan. 2nd. 11 nighter on Mercury. We like the convenience and the fact that we don't have to smuggle and even lie when embarking.

We brought wine onboard at every port on our Med. cruise without hiding it. Our cabin steward brought it to the dining room, we paid a corkage fee, and drank our own wine every night. Truthfully, I wish they'd just have a policy and stick to it. We're sailing with our adult children in July and each couple is planning to bring several bottles for our dinner table. What a pain if it's confiscated and we took up the room in our carry-ons to bring it. We like choosing our own wine and saving some $$ at the same time. We really like Italian wine and there aren't many choices on the menu.

Can someone help me find the "bon voyage" liquor on Celebrity's website. I've looked and can't find anything except wine and champagne.

I know that Princess has it on their website.

We were just on the Mercury and carried our wine on. we also got off in each port and bought a 6 pack of beer and pop for DH. Never had a problem.

But on our next cruise it would just make it easier if I could order on-line.

Can someone help me find the "bon voyage" liquor on Celebrity's website. I've looked and can't find anything except wine and champagne.

I know that Princess has it on their website.

We were just on the Mercury and carried our wine on. we also got off in each port and bought a 6 pack of beer and pop for DH. Never had a problem.

But on our next cruise it would just make it easier if I could order on-line.

Confused, go to the main page of Celebrity's web site. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and click on "Shop Celebrity". On the next page click on "Bon Voyage Gifts", and then on the next page click on "Wines and Champagne". Voila! You have a full listing of wines, liquor packages, etc. You can not place the order on the web site, but print out an order form which can be faxed to Celebrity. We phone our orders in because we like to have some positive feedback. I also check my credit card account on line in order to see that the charge was made.

:mad: There are many reasons why this rule is in effect, especially with more young people cruising these days. Of course, ship sales are one thing, bars, etc. do not appreciate anyone having their own supply of alcoholic beverages. There are many ways to bring booze on board, and many methods have been tried with varying degrees of success, the details of which I will leave to your imagination. However, you cannot go wrong by obeying the rules. Enforcement of these rules is spotty at best, and what one can get away with last week will probably no longer be able to pass the next week. By the way, I never buy booze at "duty-free" shops, especially when after disembarking the ship a person dropped their duty-free package on the sidewalk. Oh, the pain of inhaling the aroma of the good stuff evaporating into thin air!

PREVIOUS CRUISES:

Jun 1989, RIVER CRUISES, -- Paddlewheeler Julia Belle Swain, GD

Sep 1993, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Halsey CG23, HI-CA, EXC

Nov 1997, CAPT. COOK CRUISES, Murray Princess, Australia, EXC

Jan.1993, RCL Majesty of the Seas 1st big cruiseship, we were green

May 1998, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

Apr 1998, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

May 1999, DELTA QUEEN STEAMBOAT CO, Delta Queen, EXC

Sep 2000, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

May 2001, HAL Maasdam. E. Caribbean, VD

Feb 2002, HAL Rotterdam, S. Caribbean, exc. ship decor, EXC

May 2002, CARNIVAL Pride, W. Caribbean, garish decor, VG

Sep 2002, CELEBRITY, Mercury, Panama Canal, Rail & Sail FR

Dec 2002, CARNIVAL Spirit, E. Caribbean, nice decor, VERY GD

Apr 2003, HAL Statendam, CA-HI, good all around, VERY GD

Aug 2003, CARNIVAL Paradise, E. Carib., non-smoking ship, EXC

Sep 2003, CARNIVAL Paradise, W. Carib., non-smoking ship, EXC

Dec 2003, HAL Noordam, E. & S. Caribbean, VG

Mar 2004, HAL Volendam, W. Caribbean Wayfarer, VG

May 2004, MSC, Lirica, West Indies, GOOD

Nov 2004, HAL Prinsendam, 28-day Amazon River Explorer, VG

Feb 2005, CARNIVAL Glory, E. Caribbean, POOR

Mar 2005, CARNIVAL Glory, W.Caribbean, POOR

July 2005, CARNIVAL Miracle, W. Caribbean, EXC

COMING UP

Dec 2005 RCL Mariner of the Seas, E. Caribbean

Sep 2006 CARNIVAL Sensation

What port had the duty free shop, I asked on another thread if there was a duty free shop prior to boarding in Miami. I know the last time I sailed from FLL there was a duty free shop outside the ship and we purchased cigarettes prior to boarding. Is there is duty free shop in Miami that anyone knows of?

We just returned from the Infinity, and had no problems bringing wine on board in San Diego. We had 6 bottels in a 'Whole Foods' bag and and just walked on with it. The security screeners even took special care when running them through the x-ray machine. We also had 2 more bottles of wine, a bottle of vodka, and a bottle of whisky in our checked bags and had no problems. Our butler took wine to the dining room for us almost every night. I wonder if it has to do with where you board, and if it's from the duty free shop. We did not try to hide anything, and had no problems - we even ran into one of the SS United States sommeliers while looking around before we went to our room, and we had a nice conversation about the bottles we were carrying. Who knows what the rules really are...

I just walk right by that table. When I go ashore I usually have my beach backpack. If I happen to buy something and it is in the bag I don't volunteer that there is a bottle of wine in the bag. It is a matter of attitude. Just act like you know what you are doing and ignore the table. Once I was with a woman I met onboard and she had the bottle in a plastic bag and they said drop it off at the table. I said okay and we walked toward the table but went right by it and up the stairs. I noticed most people comply and voluntarily walk to the table unasked and turn it in so if you don't they usually don't notice. Of course I would not get into a confrontation about it and don't advocate that. Maybe I have just been lucky and never did it when a persistant crew member was there. If there was a really persistant crew member there I would comply.

We just returned from the Infinity, and had no problems bringing wine on board in San Diego. We had 6 bottels in a 'Whole Foods' bag and and just walked on with it. The security screeners even took special care when running them through the x-ray machine. We also had 2 more bottles of wine, a bottle of vodka, and a bottle of whisky in our checked bags and had no problems. Our butler took wine to the dining room for us almost every night. I wonder if it has to do with where you board, and if it's from the duty free shop. We did not try to hide anything, and had no problems - we even ran into one of the SS United States sommeliers while looking around before we went to our room, and we had a nice conversation about the bottles we were carrying. Who knows what the rules really are...

You mentioned that you had a butler! Do you think that having a cabin that is cared for by a butler has any advantage over other cabins?

Rick

Probably several things going on now with this issue-1) bureaucratic inconsistency 2) duty-free issues 3) Celebrity would like folks to pre-purchase their liquor packages (which are actually a pretty good deal) 3) other legal issues (e.g., buying for underage drinkers, etc).

Archived