Princess Versailles tour

Biloxilady

Hello fellow and prospective Princess cruiser! My DD, DGR and I are scheduled to be on the Royal Princess that departs Southampton on June 18, 2018.

Has anyone taken the ship tour to Versailles? It is pricey and we want to make sure we have sufficient time to tour the palace.

I haven't done a Princess tour to Versailles but have been there when in France. Not sure what time the tour will leave and return to the ship but we spent 6-7 hours there and hadn't seen everything we wanted to. We had books and tried to do it ourselves. It will depend on the tour of Versailles Princess has arranged as to the tour you will get and if it will satisfy what you want to see.

According to the Princess website this is a ten hour tour and five of those ten hours are spent in the motor coach. That will leave five hours to tour Versailles which I do not believe is nearly enough to do it justice. Personally I would not consider any tour to Paris from Le Havre simply because of the driving time to get there. There are so many other options closer to where you dock that would really maximize your time in port.

According to the Princess website this is a ten hour tour and five of those ten hours are spent in the motor coach. That will leave five hours to tour Versailles which I do not believe is nearly enough to do it justice. Personally I would not consider any tour to Paris from Le Havre simply because of the driving time to get there. There are so many other options closer to where you dock that would really maximize your time in port.

I really appreciate your answer. We thought that we would not have much time to tour Versailles if we go on the Princess tour, but thought it best so as not to worry about being left behind by the ship if anything goes wrong. I know it is a lot of money for a long drive on a bus.

This is the only chance that I will ever have to go to Britain. I could skip seeing France, except that I would love to go to Versailles. We could go from London, but then that cuts into our schedule for sites there. I think it takes as long to go from London as from Le Havre. I also think the cost is about the same.

I haven't done a Princess tour to Versailles but have been there when in France. Not sure what time the tour will leave and return to the ship but we spent 6-7 hours there and hadn't seen everything we wanted to. We had books and tried to do it ourselves. It will depend on the tour of Versailles Princess has arranged as to the tour you will get and if it will satisfy what you want to see.

Thank you for your response. I can't decide if it is worse to get to see Versailles for only a short visit or not to see it at all.

If the choice is seeing Versailles for a little bit of time vs not at all, I'd go for it. It truly is amazing. Just make sure that the tour gets you inside right away. The lines are long to get in. Without some sort of tour or skip the line you could easily wait an hour or more. If it is transportation only go into the Versailles website and see if the Kings Apartment tour is available. We did this and it was a great tour of the inside and dropped us off in the Hall of Mirrors.

By the way if your other option of coming from London involves the Eurostar, that trip is amazing as well:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Forums mobile app

My daughter and I did this cruise last summer and loved every minute of it!! If you haven't booked your flights yet, you might consider what we did. We disembarked the ship at Le Havre and took the train on our own into Paris and spent 2 days there before flying home. One day we did the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre and Notre Dame, and the second day we spent at Versailles. We both loved Versailles and would go back in a heartbeat if we ever have the opportunity.

If this is not an option for you, I don't think you will regret taking the ship's tour. For me, Versailles was the highlight of my time in Paris, even with all the other wonderful things to do and see. Five hours at Versailles is certainly enough time to soak in the atmosphere and get a feel for what it must have been like to live there during its heyday. If you haven't yet watched it, there is a mini-series out there called "Versailles" that I wish I had seen prior to going.

Enjoy your cruise!

I've done it on a land trip by ourselves and certainly don't remember spending 6 hours there. Do it, a tour is better than nothing.

I agree. 5 hours is better than never seeing it! If you don't think you will be back, then go.

Hello fellow and prospective Princess cruiser! My DD, DGR and I are scheduled to be on the Royal Princess that departs Southampton on June 18, 2018.

Has anyone taken the ship tour to Versailles? It is pricey and we want to make sure we have sufficient time to tour the palace.

My DH and I, both seniors with knee issues, took the tour in 2013. We thoroughly enjoyed the travel time (as much as one can on a bus) as it let us see the lay of the land. The amount of walking involved, including down the garden path to the included lunch, assured that I didn't want to see any more before reboarding the bus back. As noted by others, having an assured entrance time so you can skip the lines is key and worth the price of the tour in our opinions. Depending upon the ages I suspect you will be satisfied and exhausted. The heat during the summer can be surprising so be sure to take brimmed hats for the gardens.

If the choice is seeing Versailles for a little bit of time vs not at all, I'd go for it. It truly is amazing. Just make sure that the tour gets you inside right away. The lines are long to get in. Without some sort of tour or skip the line you could easily wait an hour or more. If it is transportation only go into the Versailles website and see if the Kings Apartment tour is available. We did this and it was a great tour of the inside and dropped us off in the Hall of Mirrors.

By the way if your other option of coming from London involves the Eurostar, that trip is amazing as well:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Forums mobile app

The Princess tour includes transportation, tour and lunch in the garden. I would hope that we will have quick access, but that is a good point for us to check on. Thanks!

My DH and I, both seniors with knee issues, took the tour in 2013. We thoroughly enjoyed the travel time (as much as one can on a bus) as it let us see the lay of the land. The amount of walking involved, including down the garden path to the included lunch, assured that I didn't want to see any more before reboarding the bus back. As noted by others, having an assured entrance time so you can skip the lines is key and worth the price of the tour in our opinions. Depending upon the ages I suspect you will be satisfied and exhausted. The heat during the summer can be surprising so be sure to take brimmed hats for the gardens.

This trip is a gift from my DD for my 70th and her 50th birthday (how lucky am I?) My teen grandson will also be with us. I am certainly ok with the bus ride, I am a good sitter!

I am a little concerned with the walking in all the ports, am hoping to use HOHO buses alot. I would like to use my rolling walker in the ports (I don't require it to walk-more for being able to sit while in lines, etc.) I fear that the pavements in the villages are not walker friendly. I will have it with me because I have to use it on the ship while it is moving to maintain my balance (it is weird, but as soon as the ship docks, my balance issue disappears).

Anyway, I think your post has convinced me that we did the right thing booking this tour. Thank you for your valuable information.:D

I agree. 5 hours is better than never seeing it! If you don't think you will be back, then go.

Thanks, I think everyone has convinced me that we should not miss Versailles. Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Anyway, I think your post has convinced me that we did the right thing booking this tour. Thank you for your valuable information.:D

You are most welcome and you are a lucky lady. You and I are in the same cohort age-wise. DH, DGD (8 YO) and I are spending my 70th this June on the Grand in Alaska.

Glad you will have the collapsible walker, particular for the gravel in the gardens at Versailles. Enjoy!!

You are most welcome and you are a lucky lady. You and I are in the same cohort age-wise. DH, DGD (8 YO) and I are spending my 70th this June on the Grand in Alaska.

Glad you will have the collapsible walker, particular for the gravel in the gardens at Versailles. Enjoy!!

Have a great 70th in Alaska, June is when we will be in Europe. No better way to celebrate a birthday than cruising!