i was injured on board-help-what next!!

searose

My daughter (age 21) slipped on the Voyager. She broke her toe. She went to the infirmary, where the doctor set her toe. The bill was put on our seapass. When we got home submitted to our health insurance and reclaimed every cent. Did I think to sue? No, I was more concerned that her toe was treat right ( which it was confirmed by our doctor at home). We had a wonderful cruise and accidents do happen.

wow-what a mistake this turned out to be. i NEVER said the cruise line was at fault.

Then why would you consider getting a lawyer?

my husband will barely let me out of his sight

Just because you slipped on a wet floor? Maybe the fall was his fault since he wasn't watching you closely enough. Sue him.

Then why would you consider getting a lawyer?

Just because you slipped on a wet floor? Maybe the fall was his fault since he wasn't watching you closely enough. Sue him.

you should really read what the OP posted. She never once said anything about suing anyone. She simply asked if the cruiseline should have charged her for medical care received or for possible future surgery. Royal Caribbean doesn't seem to care that their ships are designed to be pretty instead of safe with fancy wood and tile floors in wet areas. Pretty dumb in my opinion.

i was in a terrible fall on the slippery tiles near the hot tub in the solarium on the radiance last week. got a bill for $866 on my seapass account before i even got back to my stateroom. am going to be o.k. after a lot of pt and,possibly,surgery on my shoulder. has anyone been through something like this? my husband is enraged we were charged, enraged about the lack of safety rails and pretty much enraged about rccl in general. any suggestions about where to start? will rccl deduct the bill and give me some compensation for the awful pain i am still in? i don't know where to start. this fall could have partalyzed or killed me but now that i am the walking wounded i am getting pretty enraged myself. i know they can answer these questions but i am trying to gain info and advice as the best way to start. thanks so much for your time. and....if there are any posters out there who happenend to try to come to my rescue thank you so much....the onlookers were very comforting. regards,searose

Compensation, sue, is there a difference?

OK, apparently we all have forgot what the original post was all about. At somepoint this has turned into a sue/lawyer post. This most likely came about because someone mentioned that the only way that she would get a penny from the cruiseline is to get a lawyer. I am sure that the OP would be completely satisfied just to get her money back from the accident. She would be more happy for some form of compensation as well but will probably suffice with reimbursement.

Yes accidents do happen. That is why we all carry some form of insurance whether it be auto, home, renters, credit card (oh what a bad option) insurance. I am sure the cruiseline has insurance as well and if say 10 people on a cruise actually filed claims through the insurance to cover small stuff that happens from slips then they should be covered.

As I mentioned before, if there are constant slips in the pool area, then maybe the cruiselines can put a less slippery surface to help eleviate the potential for falls. It is amazing how when people go on vacation slipping by the pool becomes a big problem. I don't see this at the county indoor pool. The tiles near the pool are wet and slippery but everyone seems to manage. I guess when you mix people on vacation with alcohol and motion all hell breaks loose.

Do I know the Law, NO all I know is that the supermarket pays the damages for the cars, and they have posted signs stating they are not liable for damages.
No, because there is no such law. If the supermarket CHOOSES to pay such claims, as a way of avoiding bad word-of-mouth, that's their choice and their PR move, NOT a legal obligation.

I don't HAVE to remind my students to do their homework every night; it's just expected, but I usually DO, anyway. :)

It's America, a rather large percentage of our population thinks that we are no longer responsible for our own actions. Let's keep those lawyers busy, let's keep having insurance rates rise, let's keep charging more for cruises to make up for lawsuits.

Ok looks like we need to all argue about something else again.

How about the topic two days ago, how should you break an egg to make an omlette....

This topic is a pretty good one cause at least we all KNOW it is going no where, instead of all of us stabbing each other in the hearts with posts and tearing apart posters for asking questions :)

Big difference between asking for compensation and suing. you're the one that keeps mentioning suing. Not the OP.

Maybe a difference but to me not really one that is of any significance in this case.

The whole discussion is not about suing or not but about if the OP should get her bill paid by the cruise line and if she should get compensation for her pain. It´s, at least to me, irrelevant if it´s necessary to sue or not.

But I would be really interested to get my questions to the OP answered why she thinks to be eligible to get compensation from the cruise line while on the other hand stating that she never said the cruise line were at any fault.

JM(not so)HO,

Is it not about time we take responsibility for ourselves? I am so sick of the mentality that expects to be watched after by everyone but ourselves. It is ridiculous that one would want ANY type of compensation for slipping on a wet floor coming in or our of a hot tub. If you can afford to cruise you can afford insurance. Insurance should pay and you should pay the deductible. Lesson learned, floors around pools and hot tubs are likely to be slippery when wet. Next time, be more careful. I am sick of paying over 800 a month for health insurance (self employed) over 4k a year for auto insurance, 2,800 for home owners insurance. My cheapest insurance policy is my life insurance policy.

Quote: "My husband and I are in our third year of law school right now, and our advice to you, if you are serious about getting your money back, is to get a lawyer."

Let's see...accident happened....medical services rendered.....hope for a speedy recovery....won't let that happen again....be more careful next time.....Get money back from who? They simply rendered requested services.

Perhaps your insurance company, not the cruise line, IMHO.

As for shopping cart damage, how are you going to prove your car came into the parking lot without the scratches? In Vegas, slip and fall suits were frequent until they installed cameras.

Can I just tell you people how agrovated I am that all people do on these boards is attach each other. Yes the floor was slippery but she she have to pay the bill NOOOO!!! Just like if you are at the supermarket and someone slams a cart into your car, that supermarket is responsible, even though there is a sign saying they are not. Accidents happen I too would be pissed that they charged me, you think that they would be more concerned for her than charging her. Im not the type of person to sue anyone and have never had the unfortunate experience of even thinking of suing someone, but why are people giving her a hard time??? People get compensation for much less, and who were hurt by their own stupidity, and from what I have read she was being careful. No one who is posting negatively towards the OP was there to see what happened so why are you judging her and stating that she is "fabricating" the events. Posters who attack without seeing events make people not want to post on these boards. The boards are supposed to be for information and support from other cruises not attacking and ridicule to other passengers. That what I think!

Kudos to you! You are absolutely right! Had my car fixed by my local grocery store (with signs posted) because they weren't rounding up the carts regularly. Happens all the time.

BTW, I'm really tired of all the attacks as well. Not once in my previous post did I state that you should "sue" the cruise line. You folks need to calm down and read a little better. My post was meant to give folks some suggestions if they have an accident on a cruise ship. What they do with that information is certainly something they can decide.

And for you folks that think a swimming pool/hot tub are areas with water, therefore everybody should be careful, are you aware that many areas near the hot tub and pool area are wood planks? Have you heard of placing non-slip surfaces near pools/hot tubs to protect folks from slipping??? Geez.

I think I am going to sue all of you for the mental anguish of actually reading all these absurd posts...

Or I might just make myself an omlette

Or you just stop reading;) :D

And for you folks that think a swimming pool/hot tub are areas with water, therefore everybody should be careful, are you aware that many areas near the hot tub and pool area are wood planks? Have you heard of placing non-slip surfaces near pools/hot tubs to protect folks from slipping??? Geez.

Yes I am aware that many areas around pools/hot tub´s are woodplanks or tiles and yes I´m aware that these can be slippery so I take my precaution and know to watch my ste very carefully and I know the risk when stepping on these surfaces with all the results this action may have.

And another yes I have heard of placing non-slip surface near pools/hot tubs to protect from slipping but again I watch my step like everybody should and I can see if there is a slippery or a non slippery surface so I can decide to step on it or not. If there is no such "no-slip" surface, who forces me to step on it if I think it´s to risky for me?

I agree the cruise line might be able to put down a surface that is less slippery, but still then it´s not 100% secure that you won´t slip.

Accidents happen even with the best precautions and sometimes there is simply nobody to blame for.

Archived