Best DIY Way to Spend the day: Family with 2 kids (ages 2 & 9) + Grandparents?

sailawaybellaluna

Hello!

We'll be in Roatan on board HAL's Rotterdam in April. I've been there before, but it was years ago!

I've been perusing the boards for suggestions, but thought I'd ask here for your suggestions!

We'd like to DIY a day of going to the beach + low key exploring. We're a family of 4 (my husband and I are in our late 30's with kids, ages 2 and 9). We'll also have my parents with us, who are seniors but adventurous.

Ideally, I'd love to find a beach where I can rent beach chairs and umbrellas for my parents and little one, but where I can also take my son to snorkel directly from shore? When I was there years ago, I hopped in a taxi using my rudimentary Spanish and toured the island. We ended up at a beach that also had lots of cute little shops and beach hut bars down the road...along with a church? I know that's a terrible description, but it was 2005 and there have been a lot of cruises since then! ;p

My husband is fluent in Spanish, so I think the communication this time around will be a bit easier!

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

The beach where you were with the shops was most likely West End's Half Moon Bay. West End is a small funky beach village. It is easy enough to snorkel Half Moon Bay, there is a spot to the left which is buoyed off for snorkelers to be safe from boats coming and going.

Or you can go to West Bay Beach... the snorkeling from shore there is also very good though that beach being the premiere on the island maybe busy, course I s'pose Half Moon Bay could be as well.

Taxi on the island are not regulated, your Spanish will help but it is still all about the haggle. sort round trip and pay when you return to the ship.

Other than great snorkeling, the port area at Mahogany Bay (where you will be docked) offers most of what you are looking for. There are even Zip Lines for those interested.

The additional benefit is that anyone can easily return to the ship, if needed, while others continue their activities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is good info to know. I am travelling with a large group on our cruise to Roatan and the ages vary between 6 and 76 years old. I was trying to find info on things to do in the Roatan forum but knowing the port area can give us the things we all like to do can make it a lot easier on those that do not want to go on an excursion.

This is good info to know. I am travelling with a large group on our cruise to Roatan and the ages vary between 6 and 76 years old. I was trying to find info on things to do in the Roatan forum but knowing the port area can give us the things we all like to do can make it a lot easier on those that do not want to go on an excursion.

Be aware that there are 2 cruise ports in Roatan. Check your itinerary and see which port you will be visiting.

Mahogany Bay is the one I was speaking of with all of the amenities within the port. It was developed by Carnival and Carnival owned lines (Carnival, Princess, Holland America, Cunard, Costa, etc.) are the primary users of this port.

Coxen Hole is the older port that is mainly used by the Non-Carnival owned lines - Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, MSC, etc. Maya Key is a great option if docking at Coxen Hole. It is an island just a short boat ride across the harbor. They have a pool, beach, great snorkeling, food, drinks and more. This may only be offered through your cruise ship as an excursion, depending on the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you all so much! I think it was Half Moon Bay where we were years ago! This looks like it would probably be a great fit for all of us this time around too! Just a few questions:

*Approximately how much should we haggle for the taxi, one way? I'm assuming we'll need two taxis, so just trying to get an idea?

*Is there a specific restaurant or hotel you'd recommend where we should plop down at to rent chairs/order food/use bathrooms?

*Approximately how far is the taxi ride from the port at Mahogany Bay, assuming we go directly? Last time I believe we docked in Coxen Hole (we were on NCL at the time).

Thanks again for all of your suggestions!

West Bay for the beach. Bananarama for the chairs. You can buy cheaper items on the beach from vendors than you’ll find at the high priced shops in West End. We go every year and will be staying against Bananarama for. Week in April. Taxis are cheaper if you walk out of the gated area (if at Mahogany Bay).

West Bay for the beach. Bananarama for the chairs. You can buy cheaper items on the beach from vendors than you’ll find at the high priced shops in West End. We go every year and will be staying against Bananarama for. Week in April. Taxis are cheaper if you walk out of the gated area (if at Mahogany Bay).

Great information! Thank you!

Thank you all so much! I think it was Half Moon Bay where we were years ago! This looks like it would probably be a great fit for all of us this time around too! Just a few questions:

*Approximately how much should we haggle for the taxi, one way? I'm assuming we'll need two taxis, so just trying to get an idea?

*Is there a specific restaurant or hotel you'd recommend where we should plop down at to rent chairs/order food/use bathrooms?

*Approximately how far is the taxi ride from the port at Mahogany Bay, assuming we go directly? Last time I believe we docked in Coxen Hole (we were on NCL at the time).

Thanks again for all of your suggestions!

From Mahogany Bay ( a healthy 40 mins from West End) I truly believe you are far better off pre-arranging round trip with one of the tour operators, all the drivers are local English speakers. This way they can have a van waiting for your party and you don't waste time haggling. If your party were two, adventurous and in the 30's I may suggest a different course. Then from Coxen Hole if is easier. Ya have to remember, Roatan is an island off the coast of the third world county, many of the locals are working hard to feed their families, they know you just got off a cruise ship, they know you have to be back at a specific time and they will fleece you given the chance. This is why only the taxi fare from the airport is consistent, locals get a different price than the land vacation people and the cruise ship people get a diffent price than all the others. Ok, if haggling is one of your skills... $25 per person.

West End has very little to offer by way of hotel on the beach. Ginger's is on Half Moon Bay, they do Bday Party's perhaps they would be willing to have your group over, they may even sort transport for you. http://gingerscaribbeangrill.com/

Sundowner's is also on Half Moon Bay ~ They offer a cruise option. http://www.roatanonline.com/sundowner/#cruise

If you decide on West Bay, there is a far longer list of options.

One additional question: is it approximately a 40 minute taxi ride from the port in Mahogany Bay? What's the going rate for this ride each way?

You can expect to be charged $30 each way for a taxi. They’re cheaper if you can pull off being a local, but that’s not likely from a cruise port. There are always local taxis lined up outside of the gate. It’s a bit of a walk, but it’s safe.

The ride will take 30 minutes, or possibly slightly longer if traffic is moving slowly. The potholes on the way to West Bay and West End can also slow you down. Expect to pay $10 per chair or free chairs with food purchase.

To snorkel, just l walk to your left when facing the water and get in straight in front of Infinity Bay. Turtles often hang out in the grass, and you’ll see plenty of coral and fish as you swim toward the “wall”

From Mahogany Bay ( a healthy 40 mins from West End) I truly believe you are far better off pre-arranging round trip with one of the tour operators, all the drivers are local English speakers. This way they can have a van waiting for your party and you don't waste time haggling. If your party were two, adventurous and in the 30's I may suggest a different course. Then from Coxen Hole if is easier. Ya have to remember, Roatan is an island off the coast of the third world county, many of the locals are working hard to feed their families, they know you just got off a cruise ship, they know you have to be back at a specific time and they will fleece you given the chance. This is why only the taxi fare from the airport is consistent, locals get a different price than the land vacation people and the cruise ship people get a diffent price than all the others. Ok, if haggling is one of your skills... $25 per person.

West End has very little to offer by way of hotel on the beach. Ginger's is on Half Moon Bay, they do Bday Party's perhaps they would be willing to have your group over, they may even sort transport for you. http://gingerscaribbeangrill.com/

Sundowner's is also on Half Moon Bay ~ They offer a cruise option. http://www.roatanonline.com/sundowner/#cruise

If you decide on West Bay, there is a far longer list of options.

Thanks for your input! I have spent a good amount of time in Central America (my hubs is from neighboring Guatemala) and the Middle East, so I do enjoy practicing my haggling skills when possible. ;p And to be honest, I'm all about supporting hard working local people who are doing their job and offering a service. If I feel the price is fair (even though it may be 5 or 10 times what a local would pay), I'm okay with that. Not to go down a rabbit trail, but as much as I love cruising, this is something I do struggle with. Spending the day in a place, soaking in the best it has to offer, and not contributing in the right ways with my money. I look for the opportunity to support local businesses/artisans/restaurants when I can! To some extent, I guess taxis and transportation fall into this category. Although safety, value and convenience certainly play into the decision...One more reason I love this site for providing me with all of the options!

I will check out those other suggestions you made - I appreciate the links!

Thanks for your input! I have spent a good amount of time in Central America (my hubs is from neighboring Guatemala) and the Middle East, so I do enjoy practicing my haggling skills when possible. ;p And to be honest, I'm all about supporting hard working local people who are doing their job and offering a service. If I feel the price is fair (even though it may be 5 or 10 times what a local would pay), I'm okay with that. Not to go down a rabbit trail, but as much as I love cruising, this is something I do struggle with. Spending the day in a place, soaking in the best it has to offer, and not contributing in the right ways with my money. I look for the opportunity to support local businesses/artisans/restaurants when I can! To some extent, I guess taxis and transportation fall into this category. Although safety, value and convenience certainly play into the decision...One more reason I love this site for providing me with all of the options!

I will check out those other suggestions you made - I appreciate the links!

Well said! enjoy the island!

• 2 weeks later...

We did a private tour provided by Rony's Tours the last time we were in Roatan. I checked their current price listings, and it looks for 4 or more the base price would be $25 per person with children under 5 free. They will let you create your own itinerary. We started our day at West Bay (rented chairs at Paradise for $10), and then walked a little down the beach to snorkel the reef in front of Infinity Bay resort (excellent shore snorkeling). We then had the driver/guide take us to the West End for lunch at Creole's (you could do a little shopping here). They then took us to an area near Coxen Hole to drop off some school supplies/gifts that we had packed for some of the neighborhood kids, and afterwards we went to the local supermarket to look around before heading back to the port. They have several other options you can choose from such as the cameo factory, scenic overlook, monkeys/sloths, etc. We had a wonderful day and it was so nice to have a guide that could give us info on the local facts and culture while making us feel well cared for and comfortable (she even watched our stuff on the beach while we snorkeled).

We did a private tour provided by Rony's Tours the last time we were in Roatan. I checked their current price listings, and it looks for 4 or more the base price would be $25 per person with children under 5 free. They will let you create your own itinerary. We started our day at West Bay (rented chairs at Paradise for $10), and then walked a little down the beach to snorkel the reef in front of Infinity Bay resort (excellent shore snorkeling). We then had the driver/guide take us to the West End for lunch at Creole's (you could do a little shopping here). They then took us to an area near Coxen Hole to drop off some school supplies/gifts that we had packed for some of the neighborhood kids, and afterwards we went to the local supermarket to look around before heading back to the port. They have several other options you can choose from such as the cameo factory, scenic overlook, monkeys/sloths, etc. We had a wonderful day and it was so nice to have a guide that could give us info on the local facts and culture while making us feel well cared for and comfortable (she even watched our stuff on the beach while we snorkeled).

This sounds wonderful! Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will look into it now!

Sorry to poach this thread and switch gears a little here...but I'm looking at a beach day, party of 5 (3 adults + 2 young teenagers) and we are trying to decide which is best area on Roatan. West Bay is top on our list, probably Bananarama, but we are also considering the northeast end of the island at a resort called Turquoise Bay. Has anyone had any experience there? TB seems more remote and without the annoying vendors, but WB area supposedly considered "premier" beach area. They are comparable cost-wise (both offer cruisers a $30/person package).

They’re both beautiful places. West Bay is packed whm the cruise ships show up, but it is very beautiful, and the snorkeling is easy. The area where Turquoise Bay is located is much less populated, and we usually drive that way when the cruise ships are in (if we’re staying on the island). You’re still on the north shore, so the chance of having a calm (wind) beach day is good. You really can’t go wrong.

They’re both beautiful places. West Bay is packed whm the cruise ships show up, but it is very beautiful, and the snorkeling is easy. The area where Turquoise Bay is located is much less populated, and we usually drive that way when the cruise ships are in (if we’re staying on the island). You’re still on the north shore, so the chance of having a calm (wind) beach day is good. You really can’t go wrong.

Please tell us about the sand at Turquoise Bay, I have not been but have heard people describe it as hard packed, almost cement-ish.

I have only been there once, and I can’t recall much about the sand. We like Havana Beach not far from there. We go just because of the beauty and lack of people. The sand doesn’t compare to West Bay. It’s a different experience. When the crowds are light, we prefer West Bay. If there are more than 2 ships in, it gets pretty crazy. If the wind is coming from th North, you may want to try Parrot Tree. We were watching the Bananarama web cam on Friday, and there were some pretty decent waves coming in. That’s not common.

I have only been there once, and I can’t recall much about the sand. We like Havana Beach not far from there. We go just because of the beauty and lack of people. The sand doesn’t compare to West Bay. It’s a different experience. When the crowds are light, we prefer West Bay. If there are more than 2 ships in, it gets pretty crazy. If the wind is coming from th North, you may want to try Parrot Tree. We were watching the Bananarama web cam on Friday, and there were some pretty decent waves coming in. That’s not common.

Indeed the rainy season has been a challenge this year, I understand they have other had two days in a row of sun since Sept. The northern storms do show up, I was on the island one March were the waves in West Bay were six feet. There was January where it was so wet and cold (sweatshirt weather) I thought I was going to mold.