Sanford Airport

Cruiser from Ohio

Can anyone tell me the good bad and ugly about flying into Sanford instead of Orlando. Have free tickets on Allegiant and the times to fly are perfect, but I know it is further and a very small airport.

Renting a car is not an opition, ,looking for shuttle service

Thank you

An airport is an airport. I don't see any negatives other than a 30-min longer drive and having to fly Allegiant. I am sure you will be able to find shuttle services to use. Just make sure to fly in the day before.

If you search this board (use the search box in the upper right side of the screen) you will find several threads discussing Sanford and transportation options.

*I would suggest a one-way rental car for your pre-cruise stay, allowing you to stay, dine and shop where you want.

*Post cruise, unless your post cruise flight departs after about 2:00 or so I would just use a shuttle -- you do not have time to mess around with picking up, gassing up and dropping off a rental car.

Thanks to both of you, I agree that an airport is an airport and have used that airport many many years ago, my only concern was shuttle service as back than it was non existing. going to do more research on them, I car rental is out, we are both old and do not do well driving in unfamiliar areas we are flying in two days ahead of cruise, so time is not an issue.

Thanks again and happy cruising!!!

An airport is an airport? I don't agree ....

let's compare TSA lines at Sanford versus MCO .... or the crowds at baggage claim ..... or lines at a rental counter or the general MASS of folks at MCO any time of the day as compared to same time at Sanford. There can be great advantages to a smaller airport ... the disadvantages? Fewer flights and less 'services' ..... If I can fly out of Sanford or Melbourne versus MCO I'm all in.

WRT to shuttles or transfer services, assuming you want to go to Port Canaveral, as mentioned Cocoa Beach Shuttle does - this fact is a lil hidden on their web site but if you go to the reservations page you see SANFORD as an airport option. See also the list of companies on the Sanford Airport web site: http://www.orlandosanfordairport.com/taxi_limo_shuttle.asp

Can anyone tell me the good bad and ugly about flying into Sanford instead of Orlando. Have free tickets on Allegiant and the times to fly are perfect, but I know it is further and a very small airport.

Renting a car is not an opition, ,looking for shuttle service

Thank you

Sanford is a small airport (maybe 6 gates), and they might not have a shuttle to the port. May have to try an UBER or something similar. Allegiant is a fairly sketchy airline, not the best safety record...but free is free! It's a fairly direct route from the airport to Port Canaveral, and you can skip the toll roads!

Here is a map showing the best route from Sanford Airport to the port - https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1kUqV-SksGfy8RZniAggbw3RAIQ4&ll=28.433331364501317%2C-81.04499200000003&z=10

I often fly in/out of Sanford with Allegiant to Virginia and love the easy access. I prefer a rental car but agree with the Uber suggestion.

Cocoa Beach Shuttle and Orlando Carriers are two shuttle companies that serve Sanford.

Thanks everyone,, I agree a small airport is much easier to navigate than a large one, and have no problem with flying on Allegiant air as long as you have a backup if they cancel.

We have reserved Cocoa beach shuttle to take us to our hotel in Cocoa Beach.

Thanks again for all your advise!!!

One other thing: Don’t count on getting anything good to eat in the Sanford airport on your way home. There’s only a not-very-good hamburger stand and maybe a Cinnabon. Nothing very appealing. On the other hand, getting through security is a breeze.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not sure whether you have already made your hotel arrangements, since you said you were coming in 2 days early. We don't fly into Sanford, but we use GoPortCanaveral.com when we cruise out of Port Canaveral, and I do know that they offer hotels and shuttle service from the Sanford/Orlando airport. Their hotel/shuttle packages have been very competitively priced; There are fewer hotel options right near Sanford, but numerous options in Cocoa Beach, and right around the Port. We've been very happy with their services, and pricing.

I'm not sure whether you have already made your hotel arrangements, since you said you were coming in 2 days early. We don't fly into Sanford, but we use GoPortCanaveral.com when we cruise out of Port Canaveral, and I do know that they offer hotels and shuttle service from the Sanford/Orlando airport. Their hotel/shuttle packages have been very competitively priced; There are fewer hotel options right near Sanford, but numerous options in Cocoa Beach, and right around the Port. We've been very happy with their services, and pricing.
Thank you for that information, I did see that site, we are using our Marriott points to stay at Residence in cocoa beach, very looking forward to our cruise we have had records low here in Cincinnati

While their pricing is often competitive, please know their choices for actual Canaveral/Cocoa Beach hotels are very limited. Hotels are mostly in Orlando or along I-95 in Brevard County.