Oceania Excursions: When Are They Available for Booking?

OkStatePokes

Hi all! I'm hoping someone can help me with what I think is a simple question but one for which I can't find an answer!

We (my husband and I) are booked on the September 10 - 24 sailing of Riviera from Lisbon to Rome. When I go to the Oceania website, it shows all of the shore excursions as being sold out. Is that true? Are these excursions sold out 8 months ahead of time? Or, is it just that the excursions aren't open for booking yet? If they aren't open for booking, when do the shore excursions open up?

We're both in our mid-30s (well, one of us is hitting the late 30s next week!) and very active and we've been on several cruises so I'm not planning to use Oceania excursions exclusively but for one or two ports, I like their options better than what I've been able to find on private tours. If someone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

I don't know where you are looking. When I go to the O site and look for excursions for your cruise it first says excursions are not yet available, then a few seconds later they show up. Excursions are available at various times, almost always 4 months before your cruise.

Looked at all the ports "N/A" means no additional charge.

Edited by sitraveler
info

I don't know where you are looking. When I go to the O site and look for excursions for your cruise it first says excursions are not yet available, then a few seconds later they show up. Excursions are available at various times, almost always 4 months before your cruise.

Looked at all the ports "N/A" means no additional charge.

So when I log into the site and 'manage your booking' all of the excursions show up as being sold out. If I look when I'm not logged in, I can see all of the options and they don't show up as sold out(but, of course, can't book them unless I'm signed in).

The Excursions which you see but can't book are those which are "planned", i.e on the drawing board.

The Cruise Line has an idea, based on previous experience, which tours they would like to set up , but they won't be available for sale until Oceania actually contracts with the specific tour vendors.

This is an area where a Cruise Line like Oceania which roams the entire globe is at a distinct disadvantage. Since they don't stop year round at most Ports, and since Guides, like most of us, tend to prefer more consistent employment, the contracts usually get set up from 6 to 4 months out. YMMV dependent on the Port.

Cowpokes:

I, too, am a new Oceania cruiser. I was told that WHEN to book an excursion depends on what cabin category you've booked.

Pretty sure suites are able to book first, then Concierge, veranda, etc. Same thing with the specialty restaurants.

Exactly when it starts I am not sure but a call to "O" should confirm exactly when you can book. The excursions for our June Riviera cruise just appeared in late December. (So about six months, I guess.)

Cheers!

Cowpokes:

I, too, am a new Oceania cruiser. I was told that WHEN to book an excursion depends on what cabin category you've booked.

Pretty sure suites are able to book first, then Concierge, veranda, etc. Same thing with the specialty restaurants.

Exactly when it starts I am not sure but a call to "O" should confirm exactly when you can book. The excursions for our June Riviera cruise just appeared in late December. (So about six months, I guess.)

Cheers!

This Post is correct as regards Specialty Restaurant Reservations, but incorrect as regards Shore Excursions.

The general rule of thumb is that services which require payment in advance of the cruise become available as soon as a) they are organized and posted

b) the Passenger is willing to pay for them

La Reserve, for example is bookable by any passenger who is willing to pay the fee as soon as its operating schedule is posted.

We booked our excursions as soon as they where available on line about 6 months out for our cruise on Natica this April.

Cabin category only applies to the specialty restaurants not excursions.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Forums mobile app

Thanks! This gives me an idea on when to start seriously looking in order to book!

The Excursions which you see but can't book are those which are "planned", i.e on the drawing board.

The Cruise Line has an idea, based on previous experience, which tours they would like to set up , but they won't be available for sale until Oceania actually contracts with the specific tour vendors.

This is an area where a Cruise Line like Oceania which roams the entire globe is at a distinct disadvantage. Since they don't stop year round at most Ports, and since Guides, like most of us, tend to prefer more consistent employment, the contracts usually get set up from 6 to 4 months out. YMMV dependent on the Port.

This is fantastic information! Thanks!

Cowpokes:

Cheers!

Thanks for the information! It sounds like about 6 months out is when they start to actually be 'available'!

They told me on the phone that they aim for 240 days prior to sailing. But sometimes they miss. Before that they frequently list them, but won’t let you book them ... saying something like “Sold out or not available”. They need to change that message to indicate not available for booking YET. There is no tie in to level of room.

They told me on the phone that they aim for 240 days prior to sailing. But sometimes they miss. Before that they frequently list them, but won’t let you book them ... saying something like “Sold out or not available”. They need to change that message to indicate not available for booking YET. There is no tie in to level of room.

That's exactly what I see and I was a little perplexed as to why they would be sold out so early! I thought I had perhaps missed the day they came online (which would be difficult since I look at the website almost every day!).