Great Stirrup Cay- shaded loungers?

Sand and Seas

How hard is it to find a shaded lounger on GSC? Not ready to pay for a cabana! We will just be looking for a simple place to hang out but do need an umbrella or some other shade.

I know there are several other GSC threads, but they seem to be going in other directions. And the older GSC threads may not be up to date since it seems there is still construction going on for a Haven area on the island.

You can pre book a clamshell at the ships excursion desk that will cover two full size loungers. This will allow you to disembark priority as it's considered a "excursion". When the attendant retrieves the clamshell for you to set up make sure it has the mesh fabric that allows it to breath so air can pass through or you will feel baked. Also if you don't want the ocean view to be instructed then have it placed as far forward as possible to the water so another one can't be placed in front of yours. Enjoy your day!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Clamshells are a good option that we have used. The used to assign you to a particular beach, but now they are first come first serve anywhere on the island.

They have also planted a lot of additional trees during the ongoing renovations and there are many more shaded options for loungers than in the past so you could also go this route if You get over to the island Before the big crowds get there.

Can the clam shells be set up near non-clam shell loungers? In the images I've seen, it appears clam shells are set up in areas with other clam shells and then I see pictures with a sea of loungers. I need shade and would need a clam shell but my traveling companions are sun-lovers - it would be nice if we could be situated together.

i Haven’t seen an updated map with names on our last few visits, but the closest to the tender doc has been named the patron beach where there is a section with just clam shells. There are just rows and rows of them that they open up when you ask for one.

The next beach over has been named Bacardi beach and there is another section of clamshells here. This area is closest to the lunch buffet.

There are other further beaches from the tender dock where the large cabanas are also located and then lastly where the smaller cabanas are located. These areas are usually less crowded since they are quite a walk. They are creating more of a paved walkway area that will making the walk easier. We didn’t see the any trams yet moving people. Probably will be operational once the lagoon area is finished which is the furthest area from the pier. This will be for the Haven guests, but there is also talk that others could buy a pass there. This area is fenced off and still not close to being finished.

There were also clamshells in the cabana beach area but you are pretty isolated down there but nicer if you want to avoid the major crowds. You can’t really walk the beach from one end to another since there is a rocky area that juts out after the Bacardi beach.

The clamshells used to sell out fast, but they were still available on the day of our visit. I believe they now have more with the expanded beach areas plus there is more shade so some people may not see the need for them anymore. We still feel they are a good deal and you have at least a guaranteed spot.

You can’t set them up next to an uncovered lounger or you would need to buy two clamshells and have them not put up the clam piece on the next set ( or maybe a big tip instead) I just got a clamshell on the end and took a longer in the sun on the aisle next to the clamshells. Works if you are there early.

I was there in November. There is also an area with loungers and umbrellas, but it is pricey IMHO. I want to say it was $60 to rent? I walked about 50 yards away to a large group of loungers underneath a grove of trees. I am happy to report that NCL doesn't charge you for using trees, so I got my shaded lounger for free. Highly recommend!

We got there about 11 a.m. and besides the Escape, the Sky was at GSC too. The five of us found five chaises together under trees. There were lots of places we could have chosen.

That's reassuring! We are looking forward to our first visit to GSC but don't really want to fight to get on the earliest tenders. Not sure if we will be on the island long enough to make reserving a clam-shell worth it.

Thanks to everyone for your responses :cool: