Independence of the Seas - childcare

Avigile

Hi,

We are first time cruisers travelling later this year with a 2 year old and a 5 year old. I spoke with Royal Caribbean to get some more information on their Royal Tots program, (which we will need to pay for) for our 2 year old and they said the club is open 9am - 12pm, 2pm - 5pm and 7pm - 10pm. During the hours is it closed we will have to arrange for a babysitter which is $19 p/h. I've also been told it is first come first served. I imagine we would want to utilise babysitters during days on land..

Does anyone have any experience with this? Do we need to tell them on the first day when we will envision needing a babysitter for the rest of the cruise? I'm veering towards changing the cruise to a P&O ship as I understand from 2 years and above the club is free and open all day plus a night nursery until 2am as well...thoughts? TIA

The kids programs are not fee based, at least they never were in our experience when our children were younger - that would be something new. The babysitting service does have a fee as you indicate. Perhaps you will get more informative answers based on other's experience if you post this on the RCI board here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Or the family cruise board here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Would definitely recommend posting on the RC board for more specific information.

As you have been advised, Adventure Ocean, the program for children, begins at age 3 for children that are totally toilet trained.

Private in-room babysitting is sometimes available at $19 per hour. This is totally different from the kids' programs and is not available at all times. The provided babysitters are crew members who are looking to earn extra money. You have to request at guest services. Not familiar with daytime usage - people tend to use this to have an adult dinner/go to a show, etc.