Anthem Ocean View large balcony size

Jcol5786

We are planning to book on Anthem next year and after looking at the ocean view balcony descriptions on the RC website. The standard balcony is (8D) is described as being 198 sq ft with a 55 sq ft balcony. For a small additional amount there is a ocean view large balcony (4C). These rooms are there the ship widens and it appears that the balconies are deeper and the railing is on an angle. The interesting part is that the cabin size is listed as 177 sq ft and the balcony size is 65 sq ft. So if you go with the larger balcony according to the RC description you gain 10 sq ft on the balcony but lose 20 sq ft in the room. If these dimensions are accurate I'm not sure I want to give up space in the cabin to get a marginally larger balcony but would be interested in hearing any comments. Thanks.

What exact cabin numbers are you looking at? The Anthem deck plans have them categorized from D1 to D8 and as far as I am aware, the cabins are all the same size. The cabins with the larger balconies are priced higher.

I've found the deck plans to be relatively accurate about the balcony size. If it looks larger, it will be larger.

What exact cabin numbers are you looking at? The Anthem deck plans have them categorized from D1 to D8 and as far as I am aware, the cabins are all the same size. The cabins with the larger balconies are priced higher.

I've found the deck plans to be relatively accurate about the balcony size. If it looks larger, it will be larger.

Agree, there are cabins with significantly larger balconies on this ship about 100 square foot larger. These are great if you want a balcony, but they are always significantly more expensive than the standard balcony.

JC

Here is an example from a test booking for early 2019. Standard Ocean View Balcony category 8D, cabin # 8522 - room size 198 sq. ft. balcony size 55 sq. ft. price = $1122 cad .

Ocean View with Large Balcony category 4C, cabin # 8290 - room size 177 sq. ft. balcony size 65 sq. ft. price = $1152 cad.

My point is that if the room dimensions on the RC site are accurate opting for the slightly larger balcony will result in you losing 22 sq. ft. of cabin space which in the end may be not be worth gaining a slightly large balcony. Especially considering that during the winter departures the balconies are really not something you are going to use for the first couple of days out and the last day or two coming back. In the end I'm sure I would be happy in either room however this is all part of the planning process that helps pass the time till the next cruise. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here is an example from a test booking for early 2019. Standard Ocean View Balcony category 8D, cabin # 8522 - room size 198 sq. ft. balcony size 55 sq. ft. price = $1122 cad .

Ocean View with Large Balcony category 4C, cabin # 8290 - room size 177 sq. ft. balcony size 65 sq. ft. price = $1152 cad.

My point is that if the room dimensions on the RC site are accurate opting for the slightly larger balcony will result in you losing 22 sq. ft. of cabin space which in the end may be not be worth gaining a slightly large balcony. Especially considering that during the winter departures the balconies are really not something you are going to use for the first couple of days out and the last day or two coming back. In the end I'm sure I would be happy in either room however this is all part of the planning process that helps pass the time till the next cruise. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

I understand and thought the same thing when I booked our upcoming cruise on the Anthem. We wanted a bigger balcony so were looking at a 4C. After seeing those room dimensions I almost didn't book it, but when I looked at the deck plans closely, I realized that the dimensions have to be a mistake. The room size of the 4C is exactly like those of the other balcony rooms. We did book a 4C with extended balcony but our cruise isn't until September so I can't say for sure. I am guessing it is just another mistake on the Royal website like the one that says the Anthem has mini golf!

On the Anthem deck plans 8290 is a D1. The description is below. I don't know exactly where you're seeing the "4C" description, but it's wrong. I was in 6290 and it was a regular sized room just like all the other balconies. If anything, the 65 sq ft balcony size is understated - I think these balconies are significantly larger.

• Stateroom: 198 sq. ft.
  • Balcony: 65 sq. ft.

The Category 4C comes up on the RC web site when you first select a balcony room type. After that you are given 3 options.

Obstructed View which is the least expensive

Ocean View D8 more expensive and room size of 198 sq. ft.

Ocean View with large balcony 4C slightly more expensive but room size is listed as 177 sq. ft.

The Category 4C comes up on the RC web site when you first select a balcony room type. After that you are given 3 options.

Obstructed View which is the least expensive

Ocean View D8 more expensive and room size of 198 sq. ft.

Ocean View with large balcony 4C slightly more expensive but room size is listed as 177 sq. ft.

Look at the actual deck plans - from the RCL main screen, hit the horizontal bars on the upper left. Choose "Plan a Cruise" and then "Search by Ships" and then find the picture of Anthem and select. On the upper right select "Deck Plans". Now you run into an RCL IT undocumented feature! To see the deck plans for Deck 8, select Deck 9. Scroll down and look for "BALCONY" on the right side and select to see the D1 description.

Hi Carol,

Thanks for your reply. It was helpful to look at the deck plan as you suggest but the room I am looking at, 8290 is in fact listed as 4C with a size of 177 sq. ft. I think the confusion is that when you get to the deck plan page and select deck 9 as you suggested you will find that there are 3 deck plans based on date. There is a deck plan for from now till Apr 28, 2018, then a second to April 29, 2019 and a third that runs to October 2019. So you have select the correct deck plan for the specific date you are travelling.

The current deck plan does lists cabin 8290 as a D1 at 198 sq ft. However as we are cruising in Feb. 2019 when you change to that deck plan cabin 8290 switches to a C4 and shrinks to 177 sq ft!! Does Anthem have movable walls?? :o Maybe they are virtual like the balconies! This is why it appears as a C4 with those dimensions on our test bookings which are dated Feb 2019. Looks like we were both right. Interesting that a cabin category and size can change based on a date range. I assume that somewhere there has been a mix up but who knows which size is correct. Thanks again for showing me this. It's all very interesting.

Hi Carol,

Thanks for your reply. It was helpful to look at the deck plan as you suggest but the room I am looking at, 8290 is in fact listed as 4C with a size of 177 sq. ft. I think the confusion is that when you get to the deck plan page and select deck 9 as you suggested you will find that there are 3 deck plans based on date. There is a deck plan for from now till Apr 28, 2018, then a second to April 29, 2019 and a third that runs to October 2019. So you have select the correct deck plan for the specific date you are travelling.

The current deck plan does lists cabin 8290 as a D1 at 198 sq ft. However as we are cruising in Feb. 2019 when you change to that deck plan cabin 8290 switches to a C4 and shrinks to 177 sq ft!! Does Anthem have movable walls?? :o Maybe they are virtual like the balconies! This is why it appears as a C4 with those dimensions on our test bookings which are dated Feb 2019. Looks like we were both right. Interesting that a cabin category and size can change based on a date range. I assume that somewhere there has been a mix up but who knows which size is correct. Thanks again for showing me this. It's all very interesting.

I'm sure it's a RCL mistake(what a surprise!) The cabins are prefab structures and they aren't going to change. The new deck plans reflect the cabin recategorization, not a structural change. If you like the cabin, book it.

• 1 year later...

I am resurfacing this thread as we are confused about it too! We are looking at 10172 on the Anthem - which "appears" to have a slightly larger balcony and is cheaper than the large balcony room right next to it. But - the clincher is it also says the cheaper room (10172) has 20 more sq feet.  Is it indeed a mistake? And wouldn't they have fixed it by now if it was??

I just won an upgrade bid from 2D to 4C and investigation youtube video of 4C rooms on Anthem.  The 4C cabin looks just exactly like the 2D and the balcony looks huge.  And on Deck 13 where the overhang takes the sun away from a lot of balconies, the angle means you have a corner that has more sun.

I am sailing on the Anthem May 9th, and ran into this when I was booking this cruise....thought it was odd that it was listing the cabin, with the larger balcony, as actually SMALLER than the room with the smaller balcony!  I opted to just book a room with the standard balcony, since there are only 2 of us.  It really seemed strange to me, as the rooms do appear the same size on the deck plans.  If there is any concern, give RCI a call and see what they say...

8 minutes ago, SuiteLady said:

I am sailing on the Anthem May 9th, and ran into this when I was booking this cruise....thought it was odd that it was listing the cabin, with the larger balcony, as actually SMALLER than the room with the smaller balcony!  I opted to just book a room with the standard balcony, since there are only 2 of us.  It really seemed strange to me, as the rooms do appear the same size on the deck plans.  If there is any concern, give RCI a call and see what they say...

I did actually call them - and even had the guy check with his supervisor. They maintain that the 1C category (Large balcony room) is indeed smaller  (177) than the regular 1D balcony room (198). So - not sure the large balcony is worth it.  

Also - is it better to be on the hump?  The room that has an angled balcony but still a 1D is right before the hump. 

1 hour ago, ktmac1 said:

I did actually call them - and even had the guy check with his supervisor. They maintain that the 1C category (Large balcony room) is indeed smaller  (177) than the regular 1D balcony room (198). So - not sure the large balcony is worth it.  

Also - is it better to be on the hump?  The room that has an angled balcony but still a 1D is right before the hump. 

Can be so frustrating sometimes....and, unfortunately, you can't always bank on the fact that when calling RCI, you get the correct info!  I am staying a couple doors down from the angled balcony...lol.  I would have gotten that cabin, had it been available!  Never stayed on the hump, but I would definitely do so, if they are available and not too pricey!