great stirrup cay snorkleing

sea_loving_couple

Hi all of you that have been to Great Stirrup Cay. Do you need to book a snorkling excursion to go snorkeling at the private island. We were looking at the sculpture reef and it says its open to all without the excision. We have our own snorkel gear and were wondering if there were any accessible spots that we need to pay for. If not that's fine we will book the excision just looking for clarification on what you can do there without booking an official excision!

you definitely don't need an excursion. It's right there off the beach- and it's really pretty good snorkeling (though I haven't been there since the recent 2017 hurricanes- don't know if that damaged anything). It's very worth doing and very easy.

The excursion on the NCL website for the sculpture reef is basically an all day rental for the equipment while on this island, not an actual location/excursion. We did this last year and are doing it again this year! Well worth the 29$ - we saw lots of fish, sea turtles, sea horses, and a string ray. Super fun and laid back! Nothing like snorkeling, grabbing a Miami Vice on the beach, and then heading back out. Hope you all have fun!

The excursion on the NCL website for the sculpture reef is basically an all day rental for the equipment while on this island, not an actual location/excursion. We did this last year and are doing it again this year! Well worth the 29$ - we saw lots of fish, sea turtles, sea horses, and a string ray. Super fun and laid back! Nothing like snorkeling, grabbing a Miami Vice on the beach, and then heading back out. Hope you all have fun!

Does the snorkeling 'excursion' to get the equipment need to be booked on-board or can you do it on the island?

Is there decent snorkeling from every beach or just certain ones?

Does the snorkeling 'excursion' to get the equipment need to be booked on-board or can you do it on the island?

There were people just getting walk up snorkel rentals.

I admit I'm a snorkel snob and have a different opinion than some of the positives above. It's a lot artificial which I like to avoid, and in my experiences, at best "ok" no investment with it being free. :) I was there last month and at the bottom of my list with snorkeling 5 times from the Breakaway and Jade. Next month- I'm in Hawaii, where I'll snorkel every day- for 3 weeks. Now, that's "snorkeling". :)

You can rent on the island and also purchase the “excursion” while on board at the excursion desk.

When we were there last January there were only two beaches. The main beach (near the snorkel rental) had an area to the left that was fun! Although I swam everywhere and saw tons of wild life all throughout the water and different areas available. It’s not the best snorkeling you’ll ever do in your life as there isn’t really lots of coral and whatnot, but it is a really great time if you’re looking for a relaxing time and see some cool stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have gone on a lot of great (and some not so great) snorkeling excursions over the years from catamarans, canoes (near Panama) and even directly from our ship on a Windjammer 'Barefoot' cruise.

I realize we wouldn't be snorkeling in the most pristine area just off a beach but it sounds fun as part of our first visit to GSC. Thanks for the info! :cool: