Best way to book?

Mousefan71

I booked a cruise on the Pride for July 22, 2018 directly from the Carnival website. While I did receive a really cheap down payment, I wasn't offered any perks and really received a poor room assignment. We have 8 people cruising a booked 3 staterooms on floor 1 right next to the Butterfly Lounge. I'm wondering if I reacted too quickly to the low down payment and maybe missed a better booking opportunity elsewhere. Any advice on the best way to book and how to secure some extra benefits like onboard spending credits or decent room assignments?

There are many websites which offer more than Carnival (OBC's)... I always book online and have 3 or 4 Internet agencies I regularly compare before "pulling the trigger". However, your choice of room wouldn't have been impacted as you see the same rooms on all sites. So that decision was on you unless you had Carnival choose the room (which you would have saved a few dollars). I'm not sure it it is proper protocol to list some of these online agencies...but if you leave your email...I will be happy to send you the sites I regularly use/compare

Before I contact a TA, I research the cruises that match what we want to do and is priced right. I have 3 online TA's that I use. I give each the same information/ parameters [e.g., decks 7 or 8, midship, balcony] and whoever has the best deal gets my business. When choosing a cabin, I always check cruisedeckplans for additional information about the cabin [e.g., above the theater, below the buffet, across from the steward's washroom, etc.].

:)

Sounds like you booked a guaranteed cabin where you choose the cabin type (inside, OV, balcony etc.) and they choose the cabin for you? Some research and reading the reviews here of the results of booking under this rate would have saved you some frustration. That rate is the "take what they give you" rate so you can either cancel that booking and rebook with a different rate where you choose your own cabin number on the deck you want or you upgrade yourself (call them and tell them you want to change your cabin to whatever you find and like). Both of these options will cost you money in most cases but you will probably be happier in the long run.

The upgrade will cost you and be sure you understand exactly what you are doing and getting if you choose to do this. I myself, put in a lot of research and attention to our cabins on each cruise but I have experience as we have been cruising for years. The guaranteed rate would never be a choice for our family as that is something I need to control 100% when cruising. As you can see that rate can cost you dearly in angst and anxiety and that is not the way I want to start a cruise. Luckily you can fix it provided there are still cabins available on your cruise.