Excursions

Jaclynroseg

Every port is different. Tell folks where you are going and we can help you with each one. Lots of folks make their own arrangements when they get on land. Some make private arrangements beforehand too.

Some just stay on board the ship and don't get off. It is your vacation to do as you wish.

Short taxi rides in either of those ports will get you to a beach. And just as an aside, being stuck on the boat at port can be a lovely experience.

You might want to check the ports section of this site for a place to start researching suggestions.

I hope your family has a great cruise.

Seven mile beach in Grand Cayman is nice, it is only a short taxi ride away. There is also a nice Margaritaville in town which is walking distance to the ship. It has a pool with a water slide. In Cozumel I really like Mr Sanchos Beach Club. We do the all inclusive side for the day with food and drinks. At that port really the only thing in walking distance is the cruise shops themselves. You can also take a taxi to downtown (San Miguel) and there are plenty of shop/restaurants there. Let me also recommend Chi (Chinese restaurant) directly across from the pier. Sounds crazy but it is really good. I also love Playa Bonita which is a great restaurant on the water (need a taxi to get there).

Go to your library and check out a guidebook. There are TONS of things to do without excursions! Excursions are rarely needed, especially if you know something about where you're going! A bit of research can save you a bundle, and give you a great day!

I agree that you can find lots of info on the ports section of this web site.

I wonder if you would consider separating into groups to do different activities or if you need to just stay together as a family to go to a beach?

The Cayman Islands involve a tender(small boat) to get to shore.

You can certainly go to a beach there but when I was there I did a local tour (not from the ship and I snorkeled and swam with the manta rays which was much more unique than just going to a beach.

Cozumel has a long pier and the end is a bunch of shops. You would have to take a taxi to get into the main part of the city or to a beach.

There is a national park in Cozumel called Chakanaab which might have activities your family would enjoy:

http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/chankanaab.cfm

I understand that you may want to save money but you are traveling to different countries on your cruise and seeing/doing something different than just sitting on a beach might be really amazing for you!