Flying in on same day for Tampa cruise

KCmomof5

Hi Everyone! ,

We usually drive to the port (New Orleans or Galveston ) but this time we are flying due to the distance from KC. Should we fly in the same day, arrival time would be ,11:39 at Tampa airport. We are cruising out of Tampa, July 23rd for a cruise to Cuba. I have no idea how far that port is or how busy it is. OR....should we fly in the day before? Thanks in advance for any advice and tips! Dawn

Most everyone here will always recommend flying in a day early. Too many things could go wrong that could possibly make you miss you cruise!!

Several of the hotels in the Rocky Point area offer shuttles to the port.

We personally like a couple of the downtown hotels (Marriott Waterside or Embassy Suites). These hotels are only about a mile from the port, so a quick taxi ride.

Have a great cruise!!

Most everyone here will always recommend flying in a day early. Too many things could go wrong that could possibly make you miss you cruise!!

Several of the hotels in the Rocky Point area offer shuttles to the port.

We personally like a couple of the downtown hotels (Marriott Waterside or Embassy Suites). These hotels are only about a mile from the port, so a quick taxi ride.

Have a great cruise!!

We thought the same thing,....what if something goes wrong. But, we are not seasoned flying and cruising so I thought I should ask. Glad you validated it!!! I can always count on the members of cruise critic to give the best advice!!! I have heard several people mention Marriott Waterside. I will start looking into hotels and transportation. Thank you!

Another vote for Rocky Point hotels - we enjoyed Chase Suites.

We always fly in at least one day early - too many options for flight delays, cancellation, weather, etc. to risk flying in the day of your cruise!

Another vote for Rocky Point hotels - we enjoyed Chase Suites.

We always fly in at least one day early - too many options for flight delays, cancellation, weather, etc. to risk flying in the day of your cruise!

Thank you!

So glad you are asking these questions before making bookings.

Sometimes people will ask if the flight is OK after they booked it.

You have been given very good advice. We never fly in the same day of the cruise because too many things can go wrong which could cause you to miss the ship. On top of this flying can be tiring so it is always nice to arrive a day or more before, wake up the day of embarkation, enjoy a nice breakfast and then make your way to the cruise terminal.

Wishing you a great cruise.

Keith

So glad you are asking these questions before making bookings.

Sometimes people will ask if the flight is OK after they booked it.

You have been given very good advice. We never fly in the same day of the cruise because too many things can go wrong which could cause you to miss the ship. On top of this flying can be tiring so it is always nice to arrive a day or more before, wake up the day of embarkation, enjoy a nice breakfast and then make your way to the cruise terminal.

Wishing you a great cruise.

Keith

You are very right. Feeling rushed and worried is not a good start to a cruise. Thank you!

I will be staying at the Rocky Point Holiday Inn next week. A shuttle will pick me up at the airport, they will also take me to the port for $15 or $25. The port is not far from the airport, the last time I took a cab it was $20.00.

Great information. Thank you for the advice! Have fun on your cruise! Dawn

Against our rules, we flew into Tampa the same day as our Empress cruise departed last August. Normally we do the day before but our son had a performance on Friday night. We took a non stop Southwest flight arriving in Tampa shortly after 11 am. We took an Uber to the port ($20 for the 3 of us) and were there just before noon.

Once our flight left Islip we felt a lot more secure about our decision. No thunderstorms. No hurricanes. Now if we were talking about doing this in the winter time in the Northeast, the decision might have been different.

We are flying to Orlando a day early for our Oasis cruise next month and to San Juan in December for our Freedom cruise.

Against our rules, we flew into Tampa the same day as our Empress cruise departed last August. Normally we do the day before but our son had a performance on Friday night. We took a non stop Southwest flight arriving in Tampa shortly after 11 am. We took an Uber to the port ($20 for the 3 of us) and were there just before noon.

Once our flight left Islip we felt a lot more secure about our decision. No thunderstorms. No hurricanes. Now if we were talking about doing this in the winter time in the Northeast, the decision might have been different.

We are flying to Orlando a day early for our Oasis cruise next month and to San Juan in December for our Freedom

I think in the summer it is easier to fly the same day and in your situation I would have done then sane thing. Glad it worked out for you!

We are flying out of San Juan in December for a cruise on the Freedom. ....we are flying out early too, possibly 2 days ahead. Coming from KS, the weather can be bad. Are you going on the New years eve cruise?

We are flying to Orlando a day early for our Oasis cruise next month and to San Juan in December for our Freedom

I think in the summer it is easier to fly the same day and in your situation I would have done then sane thing. Glad it worked out for you!

We are flying out of San Juan in December for a cruise on the Freedom. ....we are flying out early too, possibly 2 days ahead. Coming from KS, the weather can be bad. Are you going on the New years eve cruise?

No. We depart December 23. So I guess it's technically a Christmas cruise. We try to keep Freedom in good shape for you. Happy cruising.