Seaside second thoughts - and - what charges to expect?

Vacationdreamer<><

I am in the same boat allergy wise - mine is a life threatening allergy to any shellfish or shellfish derived products. I have not ever had an issue on a cruise ship, and I don't really expect one with Seaside. I don't get the impression that the staff are cavalier regarding your food at all, rather that the dining experience is lengthy and food may be less than desirable according to some people, and according to thers it is wonderful. I see those same complaints on every ship I research cruising on. What I do for my allergies, is I make sure very single person who is handling anything I eat knows that I am allergic to shellfish - I even tell the bartenders if I'm ordering a bloody mary to make sure they don't use clamato. I do the same thing on land though, and I don't think I'm going to be at any greater risk on the Seaside. That said, I travel with two epi pens and a ton of benedryl - and I take one when I'm eating out at home. It only takes one innocent mistake and that can happen anywhere.

Not sure what the allergy in your case is, if it's more widespread ingredient than shellfish or not, but for me I'm not too worried about not finding something to eat.

We are a group of 10 sailing on MSC Seaside on April 28. I have been reading comments here on cruise critic and other sites about experiences on early cruises of this ship. Overall they tend to be negative. We will be on approximately the 15th or 16th sailing of this ship. I hope by then they have worked out all the kinks. Our group is not too critical. We do expect a clean ship, good service and good food (not gourmet, just tasty). So I will be following all future reviews closely. Thanks for all your comments.

We were not a critical group either. We are a fun easy going group and very low maintenance. No special requests at all. But, when things keep happening and piling up through your week of vacation, even the most easy going person is going to get annoyed and frustrated. This ship is simply understaffed and very poorly trained. There is no supervision to speak of. I feel quite badly for the dining room staff as it is clear they are in way over their heads.

I truly truly wish for you and your group that you have a great cruise and hopefully some of the issues will be resolved by then.

Yes. You said it well.

I posted elsewhere that the only reason I have not canceled yet is no have not decided how to address it with my travel agent' date=' who is also a friend, and who has put a lot of effort into this booking.

I have learned that I should not book with a new line, and possibly with a new ship. My family depends to heavily on customer service and attention to detail when it comes to food allergies for me not to stick with a product that has been trialed and tested.

<><[/quote']

Best wishes with your cancellation.

I can understand why it will be difficult with your friend, but I’m sure s/he will understand. The suggestion to get a small gift is a great one.

Enjoy your road trip to California instead, it sounds like great fun.

Thanks! I was just going off the rather slim information I'd gleaned from a person on the ship over New Years. They said their waiter and assistant in the dining room said they were Thai. My own experience said SE Asia mainly Indonesia and the Philippines which was why I said SE Asian languages.

I know a lot of folks here and elsewhere get down on people for being negative or for canceling due to the negatives reported. My view is a bit different. By knowing more information about the product beforehand a person is obviously going to be better able to prepare or cancel according to their own beliefs. People need to be able to decide for themselves whether a given product is going to fit their needs and style. It is bound to make everyone happier if more is known and people who won't be happy can do something else instead which makes them happy. That's why I visit CC for info on cruises.

Our cruise on Seaside is now just over 2 weeks away. We did a new ship on our first ever cruise and it was a great vacation. I'm really glad Cruise Critic decided to go ahead and let people leave all their thoughts on this ship, even if they were negative. I've been able to prepare and I think I'm good to go. We'll be joining friends on this cruise and overall it still looks like we'll have a good time.

I'll be sure to post up a detailed review. We've got the streamer package so hopefully as we go along.

Happy cruisin! :)

TravelinGert - we’ll said and have a great cruise.

I love Cruise Critic and the wealth of information I get from it. However, I agree that without the occasional complaint or differing opinion, it would be quite unreliable as a research source.

In an ideal world, money wouldn’t be a factor and we all could just book trips in the hope we like them. But if you have to save for months, often years, for the right vacation, it makes sense to do research and use due diligence to ensure your booking is one you are likely to happy with.

Thankfully we don’t all have the same wants and wishes, otherwise there would be a lot of people packed on to the Seaside.

I am in the same boat allergy wise - mine is a life threatening allergy to any shellfish or shellfish derived products. I have not ever had an issue on a cruise ship, and I don't really expect one with Seaside. I don't get the impression that the staff are cavalier regarding your food at all, rather that the dining experience is lengthy and food may be less than desirable according to some people, and according to thers it is wonderful. I see those same complaints on every ship I research cruising on. What I do for my allergies, is I make sure very single person who is handling anything I eat knows that I am allergic to shellfish - I even tell the bartenders if I'm ordering a bloody mary to make sure they don't use clamato. I do the same thing on land though, and I don't think I'm going to be at any greater risk on the Seaside. That said, I travel with two epi pens and a ton of benedryl - and I take one when I'm eating out at home. It only takes one innocent mistake and that can happen anywhere.

Not sure what the allergy in your case is, if it's more widespread ingredient than shellfish or not, but for me I'm not too worried about not finding something to eat.

His allergies are peanuts, tree nuts, soy protein, soy flour, beans, peas, many seeds. Though it sounds like he “can’t eat anything” he can actually eat meats, veggies, fruits, pastas, dairy, eggs = plenty. But in the 16+ years we’ve been managing it we’ve found there is a difference between restaurants and servers who just want to give him some thing easy and safe (a chicken breast and broccoli) vs those who work to make him something more enjoyable & even special. The first type is OK for an occasional meal, but a solid week of that would stink.

We have had excellent cruises on NCL and DCL. And WDW is also spectacular.

With what we’ve been reading here we just feel like MSC Seaside isn’t in a place where we can anticipate and expect tremendous results. And I’m ok with that.

<><

His allergies are peanuts' date=' tree nuts, soy protein, soy flour, beans, peas, many seeds. Though it sounds like he “can’t eat anything” he can actually eat meats, veggies, fruits, pastas, dairy, eggs = plenty. But in the 16+ years we’ve been managing it we’ve found there is a difference between restaurants and servers who just want to give him some thing easy and safe (a chicken breast and broccoli) vs those who work to make him something more enjoyable & even special. The first type is OK for an occasional meal, but a solid week of that would stink.

We have had excellent cruises on NCL and DCL. And WDW is also spectacular.

With what we’ve been reading here we just feel like MSC Seaside isn’t in a place where we can anticipate and expect tremendous results. And I’m ok with that.

<><[/quote']

My brother has similar allergies (actually he has a lot more - dairy and eggs for example), and it is tough for him to travel. I'm not sure I'd want to risk spending a lot of money if I'm not sure of the experience I'd have either if I were in your position. I feel for you, it's tough with that level of allergies. I am positive your travel agent friend - if they're truly a friend - will understand your position.

I am in the same boat allergy wise - mine is a life threatening allergy to any shellfish or shellfish derived products. .

Please tell me you carry an antidote to your life threatening allergy. MistAkes do happen and There have been enough poor reviews of MSc screwing up allergies over the years that I personally wouldn’t even consider this company with a life threatening allergy. They get it right most times, but there have been reports of cross contamination. I’m sure that can happen on any cruise line, but lack of a common language on MSc poses a greater risk IMO. My godson has a gluten allergy. He will not be sailing on MSc. That doesn’t guarantee there won’t be mistakes, but I personally believe it reduces the risk.

We ended up canceling and booking in NCL. We need to go with something we are more comfortable. Not saying Never MSC. Just saying not right now... happy sailing everyone!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have a great cruise...at least you have a Wegman's ;). We're hoping they expand to the Charleston area.

Have a great cruise...at least you have a Wegman's ;). We're hoping they expand to the Charleston area.

Ha!

I actually thought of this thread last night as I made my once a month visit to Wegmans. I have a love-hate relationship with them. I love that they are part of the community. They definitely seem to care. And they are huge on customer service. But it really is high-frills shopping. And I don’t really need that.

Hope you get them though. They really are special. Bakery and meats are great. [emoji106]

[quote name=Vacationdreamer

Just curious, your signature said you were scheduled to cruise the Seaside in June, is that right?

Nm I see from your original post that it was June. Hope you enjoy the NCL cruise and that there won’t be any allergy issues, etc. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by DCGuy64

Ha!

I actually thought of this thread last night as I made my once a month visit to Wegmans. I have a love-hate relationship with them. I love that they are part of the community. They definitely seem to care. And they are huge on customer service. But it really is high-frills shopping. And I don’t really need that.

Hope you get them though. They really are special. Bakery and meats are great. [emoji106]

I know...I grew up even further west in western New York than you :cool:.

[quote name=Vacationdreamer

Just curious, your signature said you were scheduled to cruise the Seaside in June, is that right?

Nm I see from your original post that it was June. Hope you enjoy the NCL cruise and that there won’t be any allergy issues, etc. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.

Vacationdreamer:

Things I'm interested in:

Food allergies. I'm reading of language barriers with waiters and maître d' s. I'm also reading that information contributed to profiles via the (glitchtastic) website are not carrying over to the ship.

I would suggest Food Allergy cards in various common languages found here (free although I think they do email you occasionally) or here for fee. Kid's Menu found here.

Soda: My kids (and we adults) love soda and we fully associate vacationing with soda drinking. The 12-vouchers per person isn't enough and the cost of adding the soda package is a little high compared to other lines (just off Princess on Friday). I'm thinking we might buy the soda package for one of our staterooms and then having that stateroom give their vouchers to the members of the other stateroom. This way one room will have unlimited and the other will have 24 drinks each (very generous for my littlest kids). Any thoughts on this?

Sounds good. Not sure it is officially approved but have read reviews of others doing exactly this.

Add ons: Now I'm reading costs for zip lines and I expect costs for digital waterslide, though pinpointing prices online is proving difficult for me. Again - different reviews/reports are sharing different numbers. And I've not read much at all about how the 5D films, etc, have been.

Zipline is $10 for one ride or $50 for the entire cabin. I was told by someone on the ship last week they were now charging for the interactive slide as well but was not shown anything detailing this. Possibly the $50 per cabin includes this as well or perhaps that's just my wishful thinking.

Maybe it is the time of year that the ship launched, but there has been little said about the children's programming.

Schedules here and here and here. Reportedly they've also got their Happy Dining program running or you can let kids eat with the kid's club in the buffet. More information found in this thread about Seaside.

Our PIF date is 3/11. I have about 7 weeks to decide what to do. The food allergy issue is make or break. The other issues are more about enhancing the trip. We only have three port days (with one being Nassau) so that will leave a lot of ship time.

Thank you very much for the info Gert. Hope you have a great upcoming trip. We will be on it 2/17.