Coco Cay snorkeling - Own equip but never use lifevests - Do I have to, are they free

We are looking forward to going to Coco Cay and getting in some snorkeling. We have our own stuff, except we never use life vests. I have seen that RC insists we use life vests. Are they free? Are they really mandatory?

We have our own snorkel equipment too but have had the lifeguards at Coco Cay send us back to rent a snorkel vest. I think they are around $8 to rent. They aren't bulky life vests, they are blow up snorkel vest that you can inflate as much or as little as you want.

We are looking forward to going to Coco Cay and getting in some snorkeling. We have our own stuff, except we never use life vests. I have seen that RC insists we use life vests. Are they free? Are they really mandatory?

The life vests free for us last September.

In the past, if the lifeguards saw people snorkeling without life vests, they would tell them to stop snorkeling and get a vest. However, I now see many people snorkeling without vests, so it could be that they don't try to enforce that anymore.

Never been to Coco Cay, but I can't imagine they require life vests for swimming in general. So doubt they do for snorkeling. How would they even monitor that?

People snorkel mostly near a lifeguard stand that is out in the water by a submerged plane. There are also lifeguards out on jetskis if you are farther out. If they see you out snorkeling, they will call to you and send you back in for a vest.

• 1 month later...

We're getting a Cabana, which comes with 2 sets of snorkeling equipment. There are 3 of us who will be snorkeling -- will I be able to rent 1 set when we get to Coco Cay, since we have to go there to pick up the "comp" equipmant, or should I reserve in cruise planner, to make sure I get a set ?(only reason I haven't reserved yet is that there is a chance I won't be doing it, although I really want to)

We're getting a Cabana, which comes with 2 sets of snorkeling equipment. There are 3 of us who will be snorkeling -- will I be able to rent 1 set when we get to Coco Cay, since we have to go there to pick up the "comp" equipmant, or should I reserve in cruise planner, to make sure I get a set ?(only reason I haven't reserved yet is that there is a chance I won't be doing it, although I really want to)

I would rent the 3rd before you sail. I don’t see how they would run out of gear. There is so much of it. Also the vests are free as of 1-2018 Happy Sailing!!!