State of emergency in Montego Bay

Canadianmama3

We will be stopping in Falmouth next month and booked an excursion to Blue Waters. Thinking about cancelling and just staying onboard. Bummed to see this. I searched online but couldn't find a statement from any cruise lines about it. Is it just business as usual?

We are in Falmouth as well next month. We were already considering just staying within the secured port area and I would think that this announcement, plus the additional ones from the UK and US, will guarantee that.

I doubt you will hear anything from the cruise line, since this is just a "be careful" recommendation, not a "stay away".

Saw this on FB https://www.facebook.com/AndrewHolnessJM/?hc_ref=ARSyHTFU3tXs8fbKqAXck59luewZgirSbrBsMgVCc0ZA_I2_nzMaUCPZxJK5XeiBF98&fref=nf -

We have an excursion planned to Rose Hall with resort for a day for our upcoming cruise. I'm going to see about getting a refund for our deposit and just stay on the ship that day.

Saw this on FB https://www.facebook.com/AndrewHolnessJM/?hc_ref=ARSyHTFU3tXs8fbKqAXck59luewZgirSbrBsMgVCc0ZA_I2_nzMaUCPZxJK5XeiBF98&fref=nf -

We have an excursion planned to Rose Hall with resort for a day for our upcoming cruise. I'm going to see about getting a refund for our deposit and just stay on the ship that day.

I have stayed at this resort before for an excursion and it is very safe. I called them and yes you can get a refund but they assured us that the issue is not in that area. We have a group going and feel comfortable about it.

I have stayed at this resort before for an excursion and it is very safe. I called them and yes you can get a refund but they assured us that the issue is not in that area. We have a group going and feel comfortable about it.

I’m most concerned about the 25 minute bus ride to get there. What’s to say these gangs don’t hi jack a bus filled tourists.

Just because you stayed there before and felt safe doesn’t mean it is now. They issued that state of emergency for good reason. There wasn’t a state of emergency last time you travelled I’m sure.

Like the other posted mentioned I would be concerned about the travel to the resort and back.

Honestly if my cruise was stopping there I wouldn’t get off the ship. It’s not worth the risk to the safety of my family or myself. You can’t judge the safety now based on past experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just because you stayed there before and felt safe doesn’t mean it is now. They issued that state of emergency for good reason. There wasn’t a state of emergency last time you travelled I’m sure.

Like the other posted mentioned I would be concerned about the travel to the resort and back.

Honestly if my cruise was stopping there I wouldn’t get off the ship. It’s not worth the risk to the safety of my family or myself. You can’t judge the safety now based on past experiences.

I concur. IMHO I would try to get an independent opinion as to the current safety concerns at Rose Hall. Those who are going to benefit from your visit are indeed going to tell you that the issue is not in that area. The state of emergency includes that area.

We have been in Jamaica 3 times in the past year on different cruise lines. We are invited to a destination at Rose Hall in May. I have to admit I was already apprehensive about travel to/from without this warning!

I have spoken with Carnival and place to where we are going. The concern is not where the resort or any other excursions are. We were in Cozumel last year during a similar safety concerns but it didn't effect us going to Nachi and enjoying Cozumel.

Everyone has an opinion and will do as they feel safe. We aren't cancelling our excursion and have a large group going. If our bus was to be hijacked, then it is what it is.

That's your right NOT to get off ship. We are not putting our family at risk if we do checking prior to going.

That's your right NOT to get off ship. We are not putting our family at risk if we do checking prior to going.

Well if multiple governments have issued travel warnings and the local government has issued a state of emergency for the area then you are putting your family at risk. But that’s your right to do so. I’m not judging anyone. Just saying I wouldn’t get off.

Just don’t pretend that everything is safe and good when the government is saying it’s not.

You can compare this to the fact that in the last few years many countries have issued 25 different travel warnings to their citizens about traveling to the United States.

Are you afraid to go home now?

Well I’m from Canada not the US. And yes I know many people that avoid travelling to the US because they don’t think it’s safe.

We are going to be in Falmouth in a couple of weeks and were planning to just go to a public beach for the day. Now I think we will just walk around the secure area at the port and then head back on the ship. Jamaica was already a sketchy port, this just makes it worse.

This is our plan too. I kept looking at excursions, but nothing seemed all that great to me, mostly because of the longer drive to get anywhere. We will get off the ship to say we have been to Jamaica, and then have a ship day.

The threat level has been set at 2. Keep in mind, this is the same level as Mexico and other Caribbean countries at all times. This is not to say it isn't worrisome, simply that everything is relative.

As another post mentioned, you need to assess your own risk and security.. Ultimately it is a personal choice. I, for one, am planning to join an excursion in Jamaica - we're be over 100 miles from the area under the heightened threat level. On the other hand, I'm not planning to get off the ship in Mexico. That has more to do with the fact I've been there several times before....and on one of those occasions we were stopped by armed police in our taxi. Fortunately all was well but I admit to being frightened.

I’m most concerned about the 25 minute bus ride to get there. What’s to say these gangs don’t hi jack a bus filled tourists.

Our cruise is scheduled to stop in Montego Bay in a couple weeks. We were interested in the Martha Brae river rafting, but have the same concern as you.

Yep, same as many - be in Falmouth in a little over 2 weeks, debating the Resort for a Day to Rose Hill Hilton, but have not pulled the trigger yet. Do you think RFD would increase measures for safety.

We are planning to walk to Turtle beach from the cruise port in the beginning of February. Should I be re-thinking this plan? Also, would Margaritaville's beach be a better idea(and is it toddler friendly)?

Edited by sabres431
Added second question

We are planning to walk to Turtle beach from the cruise port in the beginning of February. Should I be re-thinking this plan? Also, would Margaritaville's beach be a better idea(and is it toddler friendly)?

Is this in the area of the state of emergency? If so I would not walk to a beach by yourself. Especially with children.

For a frame of reference the Canadian government is telling Canadians who are staying at resorts in the area not to leave their resort unless doing so in transportation and on excursions arranged by the resorts.