Star: Tips, tricks, favorite areas and foods?

cruisingteachers4

When we were on the Star for the Panama Canal cruise this past December we had no trouble getting two drinks on just one card.

If you chose the UBP as part of a promotion a service charge to cover the tips on beverages was added to your cruise fare. If you purchased the packaged the service charged was added when you went to the checkout page. There's no need to tip the server unless you really want to. You won't get a receipt to sign either. We had one server on the Star in the It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere bar that was so nice to us and treated us like royalty that we began tipping her a dollar a drink.

Do you mean the UBP? UDP is the dining package. If so, the gratuity is included. If you feel the need to tip extra, I think cash is better received by the staff.

Yes sorry, I meant the UBP.

And we did get it as a promotion and I saw they added the tips. I’m pretty sure we still tipped on top last time, about a dollar a drink, which added up fast considering we paid tips up front as well.

Following. First time cruising on Star, July 1 Venice. Family Suite.

We did this last July from Venice. Our tips,

When you arrive you have to walk down the right hand side of the building and drop your bags by deck numbers. They won’t take labels that you made from scratch, they must resemble Ncl ones.

They do a great outdoor white hot neon party and because the lounger area is terraced you can see everything.

5oclock somewhere is empty around 5-6 so whilst open it’s a great place for family time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for all the tips. Was hoping that the MDR would be open on embarkation day, in that it would be a far calmer place than the buffet. Presumably, from your comments, it's closed?

Sailing in 8 days, yay!

The main dining room has always been open when we have cruised on Star. The staff will try and direct you to the buffet, but don't fall for it. The main dining room is quiet and you can start your vacation relaxed. It is usually in Versailles.

We were on the Star in November and they had the "secret" lobster tail in Cagney's...not on the menu. A friend of mine ordered it using her Speciality dining plan and also ordered a second tail for $10 thinking it would be the tiny tails they used to serve in the MDR...they were actually very nice size and she could not finish it all :D:D

We will be on the Star again in a few days and I will report back if they still have the "secret" tails!

Back from a great 9 days on the Star and I am happy to report the "secret" lobster tails are still available at Cagney's...not on the menu and only by word of mouth ;)

1/2 tail is $11 and full tail is $22...you can use your UDP for the 1/2 tail as an entree.

Enjoy!

Back from a great 9 days on the Star and I am happy to report the "secret" lobster tails are still available at Cagney's...not on the menu and only by word of mouth ;)

1/2 tail is $11 and full tail is $22...you can use your UDP for the 1/2 tail as an entree.

Enjoy!

Thanks for this tip, just so I understand if we use UDP to eat in Cagney we can have the lobster? Or you have to use an extra dinner towards the lobster?

Thank you for the update!!

Enjoy!

Thanks for this tip, just so I understand if we use UDP to eat in Cagney we can have the lobster? Or you have to use an extra dinner towards the lobster?

I was told you can use UDP at Cagney's for the 1/2 tail and if you want the full tail it would be an $11 charge. We opted to skip the lobster and indulge in the HUGE porterhouse...yum!

If i am correct, you can get lobster in the MDR for an extra charge.

Sorry, we did not eat at the MDR and I forgot to ask. Maybe someone else will chime in on that one for you :)

The secret crepes sound delicious! My son loves soups when he cruises. Any soup recommendations from the star?

The roasted cauliflower soup was delish! Had it in Aqua one night :)

It had chicken dumplings in it. I noticed it was also being served the same night in the buffet, but I did not try it there.

Thanks, not too picky but like to try new wines!

Even if you have the UBP, you can buy any bottle of wine off the list in any restaurant just by paying the difference in price (in effect, like a $15 discount). Then you can have the wine stored in your name at that restaurant and brought to any other restaurant at any time, our you can just cork it and carry it out to your cabin.

• 4 weeks later...
I leave for my first NCL cruise in 39days. I am curious if the shampoo and conditioner are good enough or should I bring my own?

I brought shampoo with me last time and ended up just using the stuff they provided. Unless you have dyed hair or are super picky I would just use theirs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

I brought shampoo with me last time and ended up just using the stuff they provided. Unless you have dyed hair or are super picky I would just use theirs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Except, there is no conditioner. I always bring my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
How do I follow a thread? Does it come up in my email feed after following? thanks.

If you simply post something on a thread, the thread is added to your "subscribed threads" and you can find those in the mini-menu found by clicking on the triangle next to your username on the upper right hand side of the screen.

If you just want to "follow" without actually posting something to the thread, click on "thread tools" and there you can subscribe to it.

Once you subscribe to the thread, you can check out the list, and change some options from clicking on "subscribed threads"

hope this helps

What time are the shows at the Stardust Theatre? Making dinner reservations and I want to allow for going to a show afterwards. Also, can you reserve tickets to the shows before the sailing?