Flight Time From Venice - Overnight Stay

Javaholic

Quick question - first cruise in Europe. We have an overnight in Venice, then debark the next morning. Preferred flight is at 12:10 (noon). I'm "assuming" ship will have cleared customs the previous day, so we can walk off any time? Is this accurate? Is this enough time to get to the airport from the cruise port?

Quick question - first cruise in Europe. We have an overnight in Venice, then debark the next morning. Preferred flight is at 12:10 (noon). I'm "assuming" ship will have cleared customs the previous day, so we can walk off any time? Is this accurate? Is this enough time to get to the airport from the cruise port?

You are correct that the ship will be cleared...usually within 30 minutes of arrival. After that time passengers will be able to come and go as they please. The issue with just walking off is your luggage. If you can handle your own stuff, yes, you could walk off. But if you want your luggage transferred from the ship to the terminal then you have to deal with the timing on having your luggage picked-up and available.

As to a Noon flight from Marco Polo Airport, that is not a problem. There will be transfers offered by your ship or you can simply get a taxi (or arrange for a private transfer) at the port. Allow about 40 to get to the airport (it can vary depending on traffic). The airport is among the worst in all of Europe and often seems disorganized (some would say dysfunctional). The normal standard for International Flights is to get to the airport about 3 hours before flight time....but its possible your airline counter might not even be open!

Hank

Thank you. We're able to handle our own luggage, I prefer it. Others in our party are older & may not be able to, so we'd have to look at that. I have global entry & I think everyone will have it by then. Hopefully this will help at the airport.

Thank you. We're able to handle our own luggage, I prefer it. Others in our party are older & may not be able to, so we'd have to look at that. I have global entry & I think everyone will have it by then. Hopefully this will help at the airport.

As had been posted, Global Entry is a US CBP Program and is only useful at US Airports and a few others in Canada where they do pre-entry clearance. As to "everyone" having GE.....it is very unlikely. The reality is that most folks do not want to spend $100 (every 5 years) not to mention many have to travel hours to get to the nearest interview location. And it has been stated that 3-5% will get rejected for reasons such as a criminal record (even a Marijuana bust when you were young...can cause rejection) or ever having had an issue US Customs. Many others never apply because they do not want to be subjected to a background investigation. One estimate is that about 70 million Americans have a criminal record.

Hank

Hank: I think the PO meant everyone in their party...

We had a similar arrangement in Venice, disembarking after an overnight in port and needing to get to the airport. We self-disembarked and walked/rolled luggage over to the People Mover to Piazzale Roma (E1.5pp), then took the airport bus, I think it was E8pp. We got to the airport too early, had to wait for check-in which opened 2 hrs prior to flight time (a flight to England, but an international flight might open earlier), but we found some seats and did fine waiting. I'm always willing to wait in an airport rather than fret about traffic!

Depending on how much luggage you and your party have, a taxi might be better, they were available right at the pier at the early hour we left the ship, maybe 7am or 7:30am. I have heard that taxis are hard to get when the rush of people hits so plan accordingly. Enjoy Venice!! m--

Thanks everyone. Yes - I meant everyone in our party :). I travel more than hubby, so it's been worth it to me. The longest it's taken to go thru customs is about 5 minutes. He's getting it before this trip, and I know at least one other couple are too.

I think we're looking at getting air thru H/A - so probably transfers, etc. too. It's actually cheaper than what I've found on my own, so far. But I've printed all the info here - appreciate it

A caution from experience last fall on the Westerdam. We did the peoplemover which is generally fine but can be quite a walk from the ship. One of my sisters had an early flight and used HAL transfer that worked well bus was right where they picked up bags. My other sister was on a later flight and also used the HAL transfer. They moved the bus pickup location which was about halfway to the Peoplemover. They had a lot of difficulty with their bags.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Forums mobile app