Faberge worth missing other stuff?

my mom and i would really like to see the faberge eggs but not really make a whole night of it because we would like to see the ballet.

there are some tours that offer it during the day but the we miss other things.

do you think the faberge museum is worth missing this: ( i understand its personal preference)

-St Peter and Paul Fortress and excursion in St Peter and Paul Cathedral

-Yusupov’s Palace

-St Isaac Cathedral

There tend to be opportunities to see Faberge items in other parts of the world and yes, it would depend upon how much one is interested in the art of Faberge. The eggs are astounding, especially the ones that contained secrets inside of them and were particularly ornate as are many of the stories behind the eggs. Of course Faberge also made more than eggs too and then there are the details about the master craftsman behind the works.

I was fortunate to see a large exhibition years ago at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC which contained many of the most renowned eggs, loaned from collections public and private for the exhibition. To be honest, it wasn’t always easy to see all the works, not sure if it the way they were displayed or the way they weren’t well lit or both but it was frustrating at times since it just wasn’t that easy to see the eggs and other pieces on display. Of course Faberge made many more things than just the eggs; they became a tradition rather by chance after an ordinary Easter gift was commissioned.

Then most recently last summer I was visiting the Natural Science Museum in Houston and guess what they had? A small but splendid collection of Faberge treasures including one of the famed eggs, it contained an ivory elephant that had been mechanical, as well as gorgeous tiaras, jeweled snuff boxes, fans, smaller eggs, rings, earrings, photo frames and more. My niece is 5 and has not had lessons on Russian history but when I showed her these items and told her some stories, she was captivated, even though it wasn’t dinosaurs!

And so while it’s likely the Faberge Museum has everything displayed perfect,y and has more items than anywhere on earth, I think if I were in St Petersburg I’d try to see other places (eso ballet!) and if I knew I’d be visiting other places that probably had Faberge items, I’d be ok with that choice. Seeing just one of those eggs is a treat and if there are other works by this master on view as well then it’s a bonus! There’s only one St Petersburg but there’s lots of Faberge around the world. It’s likely you’ll find some :)

Have a great time!

my mom and i would really like to see the faberge eggs but not really make a whole night of it because we would like to see the ballet.

there are some tours that offer it during the day but the we miss other things.

do you think the faberge museum is worth missing this: ( i understand its personal preference)

-St Peter and Paul Fortress and excursion in St Peter and Paul Cathedral

-Yusupov’s Palace

-St Isaac Cathedral

You can check-out the virtual tour of the Faberge Museum here: http://fabergemuseum.ru/

We are fortunate to live just 2 hours from Richmond, Virginia and the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts which contains the largest collection of Faberge and Russian decorative arts in the US. (There are 5 Imperial eggs alone!). And what makes it even better—entry to the museum is free. So, we were not interested in seeing the Faberge Museum in place of other attractions.

Having said that, if you have a keen interest in Faberge, it might be worth it to you to skip those 3 listed attractions. Yusopof Palace is only interesting if you are fascinated by Rasputin (as I am). St.Issac’s Cathedral is not significantly different from many other ornate European cathedrals. And at the Fortress of St. Peter and St. Paul, you will just see the crypts of the tsars—which I enjoyed, but when you’ve seen one crypt, you’ve seen them all.

If you decide to skip the Faberge Museum, plan a trip to Richmond (or Richmond, Washington, DC and Williamsburg.)

Edited by GradUT

We are fortunate to live just 2 hours from Richmond, Virginia and the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts which contains the largest collection of Faberge and Russian decorative arts in the US. (There are 5 Imperial eggs alone!). And what makes it even better—entry to the museum is free. So, we were not interested in seeing the Faberge Museum in place of other attractions.

Having said that, if you have a keen interest in Faberge, it might be worth it to you to skip those 3 listed attractions. Yusopof Palace is only interesting if you are fascinated by Rasputin (as I am). St.Issac’s Cathedral is not significantly different from many other ornate European cathedrals. And at the Fortress of St. Peter and St. Paul, you will just see the crypts of the tsars—which I enjoyed, but when you’ve seen one crypt, you’ve seen them all.

If you decide to skip the Faberge Museum, plan a trip to Richmond (or Richmond, Washington, DC and Williamsburg.)

Agree with all this except maybe the Fortress which is also interesting for history buffs and the views are also worthwhile.

Thumbs up to the Peter and Paul Fortress :) My husband is a history buff and he enjoyed every minute of the full hour we spent there. Our guide Inna was just outstanding! She seems to know everything about every inmate of the prison :) Moreover, as we travelled with our little daughter Inna mixed in kid-focused approaches, games, treasure hunts to keep her interested. We climbed the ramp and walked on the top. Nicole loved it. Inna is a virtuoso guide in balancing adult's and children's tours.

We booked the tour through Best Guides and enjoyed it a lot