Great Stirrup Cay

Newbcruiser1

I’ll be visiting Great Stirrup Cay next week for the first time. Any tips of best beaches and food?

I’d prefer to get a chair in the shade, preferably on non-crowded beach but within reasonable reach of restrooms and maybe a bar. Perhaps that’s too much to ask for! Haha! ;)

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

when you arrive and head off the tender toward the beach, most people walk straight ahead to the largest beach (and first you come to). It's also the least shaded. If you head left down the path, you will find smaller cove areas that will be more private and offer more shade. Some are mostly rocky without great swimming, so if swimming is a priority you might have to pass up a few smaller coves, but there are swimming friendly areas to the left as well.

There are bars and restrooms scattered throughout.

The island and beach front is not that big. Agree with the prior post that if you head left off the tenders, you will get to smaller beaches in front of the cabanas. We always rent a clam shell for shade. If you do that, get one with a mesh ventilated back. Lots of restrooms within walking distance. There is one main buffer in the center. A small taco stand to the far right (closest to ship). Have a great time. We are 7 for 7 to GSC.

Non-crowded beach at Great Stirrup Cay? Not sure that is likely, though we found getting there early and staying until lunch seemed to provide a couple of hours that didn't have too many crowds.

That said we love GSC (much better than Harvest Cay). Great snorkeling, good beach food, and beautiful.

Enjoy!

Any walking or biking trails? What's there to do for non-beach activities?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are many good videos on YouTube of the Island and its amenities. Including mine

Agree with OP that best to head as far away from the tender, for best experience.

At the far end of the cabanas, there is a lagoon with buffet and bar available. Much quieter than the main eating areas, and nice loungers. You can see it in my video, which focuses on the cabanas naturally.

There is a giant water slide and there are some nature trails, but little shade so be careful with the sun.

NCL has done a lot of improvements recently and I am looking forward to seeing these this April.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are many good videos on YouTube of the Island and its amenities. Including mine

Agree with OP that best to head as far away from the tender, for best experience.

At the far end of the cabanas, there is a lagoon with buffet and bar available. Much quieter than the main eating areas, and nice loungers. You can see it in my video, which focuses on the cabanas naturally.

There is a giant water slide and there are some nature trails, but little shade so be careful with the sun.

NCL has done a lot of improvements recently and I am looking forward to seeing these this April.

Great video!!! Thank you for sharing!

Do they charge for use of the water slides? Also are you allowed to bring your own umbrellas or do you have to rent a clamshell if you want coverage?

There is a giant water slide and there are some nature trails, but little shade so be careful with the sun...

I thought they got rid of the water slide. Is it still there?

In 2015 we missed GSC, so it's been a while since I've been there

Thanks so much everyone!

Does anyone recall how much the clamshells cost? And where do I go to rent one? Is there just a staff member on the beach with them and they bring them to your chairs accordingly? My struggle is that I’ll be solo and I don’t want it getting taken over by anyone if I go for lunch or to the washroom.

At the far end of the cabanas, there is a lagoon with buffet and bar available. Much quieter than the main eating areas, and nice loungers. You can see it in my video, which focuses on the Cabanas.

Thanks for sharing your video! It looks beautiful there! Can you tell me how far the walk is to that beach? I assume it’s past a few smaller beaches based on the information provided?

it's possible the lagoon area isn't really accessible anymore either- aren't they putting the new building for haven guests over by the lagoon? I thought I read you can't get all the way down there anymore because of that construction... but I could be mistaken.

... Does anyone recall how much the clamshells cost? And where do I go to rent one? ...

Going price was $30 just 2 years ago, last year - up to $40 per clamshell in (May) 2017 already, 2 loungers fit under - they are sturdy.

You can book/pay for one onboard - that's your early tender/shorex ticket once they are ready. There are literally like a thousand of them, sea of blue clamshells on the beachfront, rows after rows.

Just pick your spot & claim it, some are setup already with the loungers, others aren't but the NCL crew on the beach raise & set it in like 2 or 3 minutes - get the vented one with the screen for airflow.

Bring a colorful bungee cord or something similar - to help mark it as your spot - with a beach tote or canvas bag to hold your beach towel from the ship, we hang ours with a small carabiner clip (off from the backpack) - or, try a colorful badanas as your signal flag, LOL. Hold on to your receipt as you can always ask for crew's help to claim another one - as long as your valuable items are not on the beach.

Or, if you aren't sure - especially on the smaller ships like the Gem or Sun, plenty of clamshells not rented out - just rent them on the spot, sign the receipt with your Guest Keycard to be charged (good use of OBC or shorex credit). With mega-ships, they might on a hot & sunny day, if majority flocked ashore - not everybody run down below deck for the tender ride.

Saw others bringing their own beach umbrella too. It can get windy on the beach but I see no reason for not bringing one's own compact, travel folding sunshade/tents ... if one wish or choose to, nothing in their "regulations" prohibiting a private setup, just like those bringing their own snorkel gears. Just make sure to have the means to anchor & tie them down at the chosen spot.

**** As for the waterslide, when we're there last May - they're gone & also in early November, there's a fairly tall ~50' to 100' tower (from a distance, resembled a treehouse) being constructed, said to be a lighthouse or something, looked more like (and I might've read it somewhere) - it's for the ziplines ... which make sense, if and when they get to finish building it.

The satellite, VHF & cellular antenna towers were up & working on the island - that was cool. If they don't finish that this Spring before this year's hurricane season ... well, it's 2019 for that lagoon & Haven retreat, besides the finished cabanas.

The island and beach front is not that big. Agree with the prior post that if you head left off the tenders, you will get to smaller beaches in front of the cabanas. We always rent a clam shell for shade. If you do that, get one with a mesh ventilated back. Lots of restrooms within walking distance. There is one main buffer in the center. A small taco stand to the far right (closest to ship). Have a great time. We are 7 for 7 to GSC.

Where/How do you rent the clan shells?

Do the small cabanas have loungers too? I saw only a table with chairs , and chairs at the back.

Yes, we had loungers in the small cabanas. I think at least two, but maybe four. You also get two float mats included. We loved the cabanas, and affordable if shred with others in your group. You get drinks and chips/salsa and fruit and only short walk to the smaller buffet and bar. Waiter service coupled with UBP makes for a fun time.

Can anyone confirm that they are still using the small buffet even if the lagoon is under construction? We are travelling in April; don't have a cabana but interested in heading out to that quieter area (for a vented clamshell). Just don't want too much of a walk to the food for the kiddos (walk there and back once is fine but they will definitely complain if we need to do it more than once).

Where/How do you rent the clan shells?

Most people book them on the ship before you get to GSC. If you book anything on the island that is considered an "excursion" incl. the clam shells, they give you priority tender tickets, so that you can be on the island earlier, if that's your pleasure. You don't have to go early however. OP suggested clam shells are $40 for the day now.

How much are the claim shells to rent?

Can anyone confirm that they are still using the small buffet even if the lagoon is under construction? We are travelling in April; don't have a cabana but interested in heading out to that quieter area (for a vented clamshell). Just don't want too much of a walk to the food for the kiddos (walk there and back once is fine but they will definitely complain if we need to do it more than once).

Small buffet has been closed since construction of the lagoon area. There is a fence blocking that bar/buffet /lagoon area off.