Driver's License types

BnWhited

Not exactly a question, I just wasn't sure where to post this.

I have noticed a lot lately here on cc confusion on the real ID act compliant license's and EDL (enhanced drivers licenses). I just wanted to take a few minutes and discuss/show the differences. As I am from Michigan, I'll use Michigan as an example. Here, we currently have six differing types of state ID's - three types of state identification cards, and three drivers licenses.

Michigan offers both real ID compliant cards and non-compliant cards.

Example of Non-compliant cards, notice the "NOT FOR FEDERAL IDENTIFICATION"

The state ID card is the exact same, but says identification Card in lieu of drivers license.

STANDARD_598688_7.png

Real-ID Act compliant example

The gold-star in the upper right hand corner is the identifier that this is Real-ID act compliant. (Also, the phrase, "Not for federal identification" is removed. The state ID is the exact same, but says identification Card in lieu of drivers license.

REAL-ID_598638_7.png

Enhanced State ID example

Notice the American Flag, and "Enhanced" at the top.

(This is also the general format for all minor (Under 21) state ID and Drivers license's)

vertical-edl-sample-web-275932-7jpg-2eb1763a65f2ed6b_small.jpg

Enhanced Drivers License Example

Notice the American flag, and "enhanced".

EDL-REAL-ID_598639_7.png

I hope when you look at the examples above, that you can see that the plain Real-ID act compliant licenses are different from the EDL (enhanced drivers licenses).

You do not need to obtain a Real-ID compliant license if you do not want too, however your driver’s license or state ID card must be REAL ID compliant if you wish to use it to fly domestically in the U.S. or enter certain federal facilities, military bases and nuclear power plants. Or, you must show alternate form of ID such as a passport.

An EDL (or state ID) is a real-ID complaint license/ID. But not all real-ID compliant licenses/ID's are EDLs. If you only possess a real-ID compliant card (meaning not an EDL), you will not be allowed to use that solely for entrance into Canada (or any foreign country).

Michigan is currently one of only five states that offers enhanced identification cards (drivers licenses and/or state identification cards). Currently, only Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington offer. The Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) (or state ID card) is a special identification card that allows people to cross into the U.S. when traveling by sea or land from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean nations without the need for a passport or other identification documents.

Unfortunately, if you live in any of the other 45 states you cannot obtain an EDL. These states only offer real-ID compliant cards, which should not be confused with EDLs.

California offers them too, thru just aren't mandated until 10/2020. My husband has to renew his license so he's in the midst of getting an enhanced license himself.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

That would be awesome if they do offer them! I did a quick search and didn't see anything on California's DMV website though, so just double check when your new licenses arrive! If I had to guess its the real-ID compliant license you are getting. In Michigan, they're not mandated for flying and such until October 2020 either.

California offers them too, thru just aren't mandated until 10/2020. My husband has to renew his license so he's in the midst of getting an enhanced license himself.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

At present California does not offer them and likely what your husband will be getting is a REAL ID compliant license. As noted on the exemplars above if the new license only has a gold star on it then it is a REAL ID compliant license and not an EDL (which would have a US flag on it).

At present California does not offer them and likely what your husband will be getting is a REAL ID compliant license. As noted on the exemplars above if the new license only has a gold star on it then it is a REAL ID compliant license and not an EDL (which would have a US flag on it).

Yes, thank you. I meant to say the RealID. Too early in the morning for me [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, California does NOT offer enhanced driver's licenses. They only offer REAL-ID compliant licenses.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/realid

The reason California doesn't offer EDLs is because California State law prohibits it, due to the insecure RFID chip which the federal government would require for an EDL. The RFID chip would allow people to read the private info from a license from a distance, without the license holder knowing about it. Here's some slightly outdated info on the political debate, from the last time it was considered and rejected by California in 2015.

https://www.aclunc.org/sites/default/files/edl_rfid_myths_facts_2015.pdf

https://www.aclunc.org/article/enhanced-drivers-licenses-2015

I don't want to start a debate about whether that was a good or bad political decision, or whether or not other states got it right. I just want to underscore the difference between a REAL-ID compliant license and an Enhanced Driver's license, as the original post describes.

If you live in a state that doesn't offer EDLs, and you really want a card the size of a license which will allow you to enter the US by land and sea, then you can always apply for a US Passport Card. It also works as a REAL-ID compliant identification that allows you to board domestic flights. It's essentially like an Enhanced Driver's license except that it carries no driving privileges. And the required documents to get it are a little less, since you don't have to prove which state you reside in for a Passport Card.

• 9 months later...
35 minutes ago, VladNech said:

Hi! So what kind of license is better to have? I am going to take the driving test at first in my life and I want to know which one is better. For preparing to the test I have used this link https://driver-start.com/, it is really helped me. What else I need to have my driving license? Thank you.

Depending on the state you live in get Enhanced, or Real-ID.  Both require additional paperwork initially, but you do it once.  

57 minutes ago, VladNech said:

Hi! So what kind of license is better to have? I am going to take the driving test at first in my life and I want to know which one is better. For preparing to the test I have used this link https://driver-start.com/, it is really helped me. What else I need to have my driving license? Thank you.

It depends on what you need it for and which state you live in. Having a REAL ID compliant license is required if you are using it for flying domestically or otherwise entering property under federal jurisdiction and should cost the same as a regular license. 

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

and should cost the same as a regular license. 

In many states there's a one-time processing fee for the Real ID license. In Pennsylvania the fee is on the order of getting your license renewed (around $30 vs $35) so that one time when you upgrade your license it costs about twice what it normally does.

53 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

In many states there's a one-time processing fee for the Real ID license. In Pennsylvania the fee is on the order of getting your license renewed (around $30 vs $35) so that one time when you upgrade your license it costs about twice what it normally does.

Good info. That makes the fee that I pay for my EDL seem like a bargain since I have more uses for it.

I'd like one, but unfortunately only border states issue Enhanced DLs at this point (and not all of them do).

On the topic of Real ID my wife has run into an issue because the middle initial on her SS card (corresponding to her maiden name as well as her original married name & son's last name) does not match the middle name on her passport (her given middle name as per the passport application). PennDOT (aka the DMV) wouldn't certify her documents for RealID and suggested getting the name changed on the SS card as the easiest fix. I'm hoping it's an easy fix but I'm guessing she might need to produce bridging documents explaining the discrepancy.

I could see this becoming an issue if a woman isn't careful to ensure all of their name changes are completely consistent when she gets married and changes her name.

Edited by Underwatr

She should fix her passport, as it seems she is using her maiden name as her middle name.  So if she uses her passport to fly, but her reservation has her maiden name as her middle name, the two will not match.

For the passport, she will likely need a bridging document to show the name change.

Most states, upon marriage, a woman can drop her middle name and use her maiden name as middle, an drop original middle name without any additional paperwork.  So her marriage certificate would be the bridging document.