Cruise tour to Macchu Picchu

Tedirene

I would appreciate some advice, please. We are thinking of doing a cruisetour to South America to include Macchu Picchu. My DW is totally blind and we were wondering if anyone has done this tour especially with some one with disabilities. We have read the itinerary and not sure if you go to the hotel before travelling up to Macchu Picchu for a tour of the ruins. We realise it would not be feasible for her to actually tour the ruins but concerned about how she would be catered for whilst the tour is conducted. Should we not consider doing the land tour at all? Thanks. Ted

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When we did this tour we were flown to Cusco one morniing, checked into a hotel there, and then were given a bus tour around Cusco. Cusco was a very nice area for us. Then the next morning was a long (3.5 hour or so) train ride to the base of Machu Picchu, a small bus ride up the mountain, and a few hours at the site. Then a bus back down and the reverse 3.5 hour train ride. It was a long day but the site was very interesting. We then stayed a second night in the hotel and flew out the next morning.

I don't remember seeing anyone with a handicap on our tour nor at the hotel. FYI, Cusco is actually at a higher altitude than Macchu Pichu... something like 11,000 feet in Cusco. That first afternoon was set up for us to "take it easy" in order to try to adjust to the low oxygen/high altitude. One person on the tour did have some trouble with this, but we adjusted for the train ride/tour. MP is at about 8,000 feet.

Sometimes folks confuse the “land tour” (pre or post cruise) with the excursion for 3 days from the ship. If you’re talking about the pre or post cruise tour that includes a night in Aguas Caliente then I do have experience with that.

On our trip the train from our hotel stay in the sacred valley stopped in Aguas Caliente where we disembarked to check into the hotel. The train then continued on to Machu Picchu for those not on the tour. After checkin we were bused up to Machu Picchu. We had lunch outside the gate before entering. Those who wished to go were also able to bus to Machu Picchu for a short time the next morning. Those who stayed behind wandered around town. The town is very hilly and can be difficult to get around.

Sometimes folks confuse the “land tour” (pre or post cruise) with the excursion for 3 days from the ship. If you’re talking about the pre or post cruise tour that includes a night in Aguas Caliente then I do have experience with that.

On our trip the train from our hotel stay in the sacred valley stopped in Aguas Caliente where we disembarked to check into the hotel. The train then continued on to Machu Picchu for those not on the tour. After checkin we were bused up to Machu Picchu. We had lunch outside the gate before entering. Those who wished to go were also able to bus to Machu Picchu for a short time the next morning. Those who stayed behind wandered around town. The town is very hilly and can be difficult to get around.

We will be doing this pre-cruise excursion through an independent travel agency and will be staying overnight in Aguas Calientes as well as several days in Cusco. Thanks for the information.

Cusco elevation is 3,400 meters or 11,200 feet ASL

Machu Picchu is at 2,430 meters or 7,970 feet ASL

Aguas Calientes is at 2,040 meters or 6,690 feet ASL

Flatlanders will definitely have problems in Cusco due to the altitude. It is wise to discuss your plans of going to that altitude with your personal physician before the trip.

I would appreciate some advice, please. We are thinking of doing a cruisetour to South America to include Macchu Picchu. My DW is totally blind and we were wondering if anyone has done this tour especially with some one with disabilities. We have read the itinerary and not sure if you go to the hotel before travelling up to Macchu Picchu for a tour of the ruins. We realise it would not be feasible for her to actually tour the ruins but concerned about how she would be catered for whilst the tour is conducted. Should we not consider doing the land tour at all? Thanks. Ted

If you are speaking of the Pre or Post Cruise Machu Picchu Tour (around 6 days), my wife and I just did that a few weeks ago and then joined the Emerald Princess in Santiago. We did not check into the hotel in Aguas Calientes first. We got off the train and boarded the bus up to Machu Picchu. You also get a day and a half at Machu Picchu itself. The acclimatization process is also done very well with several days in Cusco / Sacred Valley before you head up to Machu Picchu.

This is what the itinerary looked like:

Dec 14 Transfer: Airport To Hotel

Dec 14 Afternoon At Leisure

Dec 14 Lima Accommodations - 1 Night

Dec 15 Breakfast

Dec 15 Transfer: Hotel To Airport

Dec 15 Air: Lima To Cusco

Dec 15 Lunch

Dec 15 Coach: Cusco To Urubamba

Dec 15 Pisac Market

Dec 15 Sacred Valley Accommodations - 2 Nights

Dec 16 Breakfast

Dec 16 Ollantaytambo Tour

Dec 16 Coach: Ollantaytambo To Chincheros

Dec 16 Chincheros Sightseeing

Dec 16 Lunch

Dec 16 Coach: Chincheros To Urubamba

Dec 16 Dinner

Dec 17 Breakfast

Dec 17 Rail: Ollantaytambo To Aguas Calientes

Dec 17 Coach: Aguas Calientes To Machu Picchu

Dec 17 Machu Picchu Sightseeing

Dec 17 Lunch

Dec 17 Dinner

Dec 17 Machu Picchu Accommodations - 1 Night

Dec 18 Breakfast

Dec 18 Machu Picchu Sightseeing

Dec 18 Rail: Aguas Calientes To Ollantaytambo

Dec 18 Coach: Ollantaytambo To Cusco

Dec 18 Lunch

Dec 18 Cusco Sightseeing

Dec 18 Dinner

Dec 18 Cusco Accommodations - 1 Night

Dec 19 Breakfast

Dec 19 Transfer: Hotel To Airport

Dec 19 Air: Cusco To Lima

Dec 19 Lunch On Own

Dec 19 Air: Lima To Santiago

Hotel Info:

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

- 2 Nights: Swissotel Lima

Friday, December 15, 2017

- 2 Nights: Tambo Del Inka Resort & Spa

Sunday, December 17, 2017

- 1 Night: Sumaq Machu Picchu Hotel

Monday, December 18, 2017

- 1 Night: Palacio Del Inka Luxury Hotel

When we did this tour we were flown to Cusco one morniing, checked into a hotel there, and then were given a bus tour around Cusco. Cusco was a very nice area for us. Then the next morning was a long (3.5 hour or so) train ride to the base of Machu Picchu, a small bus ride up the mountain, and a few hours at the site. Then a bus back down and the reverse 3.5 hour train ride. It was a long day but the site was very interesting. We then stayed a second night in the hotel and flew out the next morning.

I don't remember seeing anyone with a handicap on our tour nor at the hotel. FYI, Cusco is actually at a higher altitude than Macchu Pichu... something like 11,000 feet in Cusco. That first afternoon was set up for us to "take it easy" in order to try to adjust to the low oxygen/high altitude. One person on the tour did have some trouble with this, but we adjusted for the train ride/tour. MP is at about 8,000 feet.

Thank you so much for the info. Ted

Merc85, thanks for the information. It would make a big difference if the tour checks in to the hotel first. Ted

If you are speaking of the Pre or Post Cruise Machu Picchu Tour (around 6 days), my wife and I just did that a few weeks ago and then joined the Emerald Princess in Santiago. We did not check into the hotel in Aguas Calientes first. We got off the train and boarded the bus up to Machu Picchu. You also get a day and a half at Machu Picchu itself. The acclimatization process is also done very well with several days in Cusco / Sacred Valley before you head up to Machu Picchu.

This is what the itinerary looked like:

Dec 14 Transfer: Airport To Hotel

Dec 14 Afternoon At Leisure

Dec 14 Lima Accommodations - 1 Night

Dec 15 Breakfast

Dec 15 Transfer: Hotel To Airport

Dec 15 Air: Lima To Cusco

Dec 15 Lunch

Dec 15 Coach: Cusco To Urubamba

Dec 15 Pisac Market

Dec 15 Sacred Valley Accommodations - 2 Nights

Dec 16 Breakfast

Dec 16 Ollantaytambo Tour

Dec 16 Coach: Ollantaytambo To Chincheros

Dec 16 Chincheros Sightseeing

Dec 16 Lunch

Dec 16 Coach: Chincheros To Urubamba

Dec 16 Dinner

Dec 17 Breakfast

Dec 17 Rail: Ollantaytambo To Aguas Calientes

Dec 17 Coach: Aguas Calientes To Machu Picchu

Dec 17 Machu Picchu Sightseeing

Dec 17 Lunch

Dec 17 Dinner

Dec 17 Machu Picchu Accommodations - 1 Night

Dec 18 Breakfast

Dec 18 Machu Picchu Sightseeing

Dec 18 Rail: Aguas Calientes To Ollantaytambo

Dec 18 Coach: Ollantaytambo To Cusco

Dec 18 Lunch

Dec 18 Cusco Sightseeing

Dec 18 Dinner

Dec 18 Cusco Accommodations - 1 Night

Dec 19 Breakfast

Dec 19 Transfer: Hotel To Airport

Dec 19 Air: Cusco To Lima

Dec 19 Lunch On Own

Dec 19 Air: Lima To Santiago

Hotel Info:

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

- 2 Nights: Swissotel Lima

Friday, December 15, 2017

- 2 Nights: Tambo Del Inka Resort & Spa

Sunday, December 17, 2017

- 1 Night: Sumaq Machu Picchu Hotel

Monday, December 18, 2017

- 1 Night: Palacio Del Inka Luxury Hotel

Bassmaster, thanks for the detailed itinerary. A bit disappointed that they didn’t check in to the hotel before the tour of the ruins. Ted

Bassmaster, thanks for the detailed itinerary. A bit disappointed that they didn’t check in to the hotel before the tour of the ruins. Ted

Itinerary posted above says tour of M.P. is before lunch. Most hotels are not ready for new occupants until the afternoon.

Please note that the entry times for Machu Picchu have changed starting Jan. 1st. They are limiting entry tickets to certain hours in the morning and afternoon. Not sure how the tour will handle this. On our tour we would not have made the early entry time as our train did not get there early enough. Either way, I think that the tour operators would have no problem accommodating your wife by taking her to the hotel from the train while you are bussed to the site if you have morning tickets. They were really a great group.

Only the princess excursion desk can tell you for sure if the tour would accommodate her disability.

Edit: maybe not the excursion desk since this is a tour, but someone at Princess should be able to give advice.

Please note though that all of your baggage was handled by the porters...again, I checked the itinerary and don't remember checking in...but once we were at Machu Picchu, I totally forgot everything because the views were magnificent.