Visa for India - change in rules

excitedofharpenden

Phil's thread is therefore very timely and I believe his subsequent comment about being relevant is paramount.

Exactly. Why muddy the waters talking about a costly and unnecessary visa when the eVisa will do the same job for much less hassle and expense - thank you for explaining it so succinctly

Thanks also to Phil for the valuable information- timely for us as we'll be visiting several Indian ports next year on Celebrity and the previous visa application did sound daunting

Even if you are touring the country in the manner you mention the e-visa is what you now use. It is very important that information on these boards relates to the current position and not the past in India. At last the Indian authorities have recognised the positive impact the cruise industry has on their indigenous tourist industry.

To be clear, on the eVisa you enter India by either seaport or airport. You travel within India by road, rail, sea or air. You leave India (and moving by sea from one port for another Indian port is not leaving) for another country.

You can actually come back and do the same thing again on an e visa.

Each visit can by 60 days in length.

So unless you leave India for another country three times, there is no need to talk about any other form of visa

Phil's thread is therefore very timely and I believe his subsequent comment about being relevant is paramount.

And, you can get a 5-year visa!

And, you can get a 5-year visa!

Indeed if you are going more than 10 separate visits in 5 years that will be your most economical option but you really are going to be the exception!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks Bonnie. I will await the official communication and then head down that route. Can I suggest the communication explains to guests that although we visit three ports it is still just one entry otherwise people will be back challenging the response

This is great news, however, are you absolutely sure that the Indian authorities regard the first port visited as the only port of “entry” on a two or three Indian port itinerary? Have you seen any official documentation that confirms that this is the case. I’d hate to arrive at the port in Singapore to find that the e-visa is insufficient for a three port visit to India.

This is great news, however, are you absolutely sure that the Indian authorities regard the first port visited as the only port of “entry” on a two or three Indian port itinerary? Have you seen any official documentation that confirms that this is the case. I’d hate to arrive at the port in Singapore to find that the e-visa is insufficient for a three port visit to India.

Yes if you look on 8 April Journey roll call I posted the information the ship got from their agent

Yes if you look on 8 April Journey roll call I posted the information the ship got from their agent

Thanks, that makes things much clearer, however, I have one remaining concern: The third of the ports that our cruise will visit is Porbandar which is not on the published list of ports approved for e-visa. Does that matter or does the fact that we will enter India at Cochi make subsequent ports irrelevant?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks, that makes things much clearer, however, I have one remaining concern: The third of the ports that our cruise will visit is Porbandar which is not on the published list of ports approved for e-visa. Does that matter or does the fact that we will enter India at Cochi make subsequent ports irrelevant?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think you will need to check that one with Azamara