Ft. Lauderdale Airport Hotel to Port Miami, etc. and many questions

riddle

I am staying at Springhill Suites by Marriott at Ft. Lauderdale airport for my cruise out of Miami next month. I need transportation from this hotel to the port on Saturday morning. I also need transportation back to Ft. Lauderdale at the end of my cruise. I have already booked with a transportation company but they will not pick me up till 10:00 in Ft. Lauderdale and I want to get to the port earlier. I am looking at Uber as an alternative. I have never used Uber so here are my questions:

1. If I book a Uber, what is the approximate cost from Ft. Lauderdale airport hotel to port of Miami?

2. How long will this take (on average)?

3. Has anyone ever had issues with doing this?

4. How far in advance should I book the Uber?

If Uber doesn't make sense please let me know.

Uber will run you $30 or so. Possibly cheaper than the transportation company. The drive is about 35 - 45 minutes. No, I wouldn't expect issues using Uber, millions of riders use Uber every day. This is pretty standard. How far in advance? I'd suggest roughly 5 minutes before you want your Uber to arrive.

Obviously you don't know how Uber works :) Download the app, add your credit card. When you want your Uber ride, you open the app, type in your destination "Port Miami" and request a ride. They usually show up in 5 - 10 minutes. No need to book in advance or anything of the sort. You'll probably laugh when you realize how easy it is. That's why it's taking over the world!

Fare should be closer to $35. Lots of YouTube videos that will walk you through the set up process and how to request a ride. I would also download the Lyft app - competing company with a very similar business model. Gives you another option in case Uber is not available for some reason.

With Uber (at least in my area) you can book your ride ahead of time - if for example you want to be picked up at 9:00 you can set that up the night before or early that morning. About 8:45 you should start to see your request processed and a car on its way (I'd be in the lobby ready to go in case they arrive early). I book the night before for early morning trips to the airport.

You can always use a taxi as a back up - fare will be closer to $70 :eek: If a dinosaur like me can figure out Uber/Lyft, you can too!

Good luck and have a great cruise! :cool: