Renting a scooter for a cruise

Jenn1974

Does anyone have any experience with renting a handicap scooter for a cruise? I am planning a cruise with my mother who has issues walking because of vascular issues with her legs. I want to rent a scooter for her to take on the ship. Has anyone done this before. We are considering sailing out of Miami or Ft Lauderdale. If that helps. Can a scooter fit through a regular stateroom door or do we have to try and book an accessible room?

I used a scooter for the first time last August on CCL Vista. I can walk, but an arthritic knee makes walking long distances difficult. The information here was invaluable - XX00cruiser especially shared great info.

Our cruise left from Miami and I rented from Special Needs at Sea - their overall price was a little less than Scootaround. As others have mentioned there are transportable scooters, but they do have a weight limit of I think 250 lb.- so keep that in mind if it could be an issue. The scooter was waiting for me when we got to the room and it worked perfectly all week. I brought along the manual I printed from home "just in case" I had a problem. The instructions left in the scooter basket also said just call Guest Relations if it won't start.

We had a regular balcony and I did find it difficult to maneuver in and out of the doorway. If I drove the scooter straight in, backing out was difficult. A few times I backed into the room, but this is also difficult - there are no mirrors on the scooter - which would be a big improvement! There definitely is not enough room inside the cabin to turn the scooter around. I found as long as someone was with me to hold the door and guide me along, it was ok.

In the Main Dining Room I was able to park the scooter up against a wall and walk to the table, but the hostess would have parked the scooter after I drove to the table if I asked. Here's a tip - If you park the scooter near a pool area or anywhere in the sun, remember to bring an extra towel and cover the seat and controls - otherwise, you may not be able to sit down when you are ready to leave!!

I recommend you review the various venues on the ship you will be taking to see where the best "spot" could be for the scooter - for example on the Vista , we wanted to see a show in the Liquid Lounge. It is two levels and the best place to park was upstairs. I did not know this and I went to the lower level only to have to go back out, drive to the elevator, take it up one level and go back to the nightclub to park. If you can avoid these little unnecessary go-arounds, it will be a better experience.

It's true there are many people who will jump in front of you to get in the elevator - but there is also a more than equal number of folks who are very helpful in holding doors, guiding you and genuinely trying to be of assistance.

Also, when taking the scooter off the ship, be careful driving down the ramp. Twice, there was no one there to help me and the decline can be a bit intimidating. Fortunately, my husband was right there. I didn't need him - but was glad I wasn't alone. Going back up is also a little tricky - you kind of have to be a little speedy to get some momentum - again it was better when a crew member helped out - which was all but once.

All in all, renting the scooter was the best thing I ever did. I am renting another one for this year's cruise out of Bayonne in July.

Jenn Question did you bring an extension cord or was the cord provided by the scooter rental company sufficient for charging the scooter?

Jenn thanks for this thread and all the helpful info. We board the Dream in 9 days. YEAH US!!!!

Jenn Question did you bring an extension cord or was the cord provided by the scooter rental company sufficient for charging the scooter?

Jenn thanks for this thread and all the helpful info. We board the Dream in 9 days. YEAH US!!!!

Not Jenn, but I'll answer

No extension cord needed. The scooter has a port that you attach the cord to and you just plug the other end into the wall. Keep in mind it takes a few hours to charge, so it is best to charge every night whether or not the battery is low. If not, you could run into a problem the next day by afternoon and not have enough time to charge it up. I charged my rental scooter every night and it never went below full.

Extensions cords are on the "Prohibited Items List" of most cruises line and will generally be confiscated. The cord on the charger provided will be long enough in most cases. If you need an extension cord ask the cabin attendent as he/she will be you one that's approved for used in the ship.

I own my own scooter. So far I have only flown with Delta. There was no extra charge. I have ridden the scooter right to the door of the aircraft where it was taken and showed with all the luggage. I wait to be last off the plane and it is waiting at the door for me. When taking a taxi I call and tell them I have a scooter and they send the proper vehicle. No problems so far....knock on wood.:D

• 3 months later...

Hi I have organized to hire a folding mobility Travel scooter for our cruise in Sep up east coast of Aus leaving from Sydney return, I naturally thought when you hire a scooter its covered by insurance but apparently not so and most companies don't have insurance for their equipment I have tried everywhere I can to try and get insurance but nobody i mean nobody will insure unless it's owned by me, the thing is I own a mobility scooter but it's too big to bring on a flight or cruise ,i was wondering if others have been in this situation and what did you do ,mobility scooters cannot be delivered to princess cruise cabins in Australia unfortunately ,tia

On our Holland America cruises in Europe (2 of them), I could drive the rented scooter into the dining room or Lido Cafe.

I am able to walk short distances using a cane. In the dining room, the waiters would take the scooter and park it somewhere - often by the kitchen door and would even bring it to me when I was about to leave.

In the Lido, it would be parked by me somewhere on the outside of the entrance/exit to the tables.