Excursion to Universal Studios???

annabug

Hi Everyone!

We are sailing on the Gem this June. Our first port is Orlando.

Was wondering if anyone has used NCL transfer to Universal and spent their port day there?

How was the day? How did you plan??

Any advice or experience greatly appreciated!!!!

I live in Orlando, the port is about an hour from Universal, potentially up to an hour and a half during rush hour. I don't know how long your ship will be docked for but unless it is overnight, you won't have time to visit any of the theme parks. That's an all day activity, plus travel to and from the ship.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother to get off the ship in Port Canaveral. Our beaches over here are lackluster and really the only thing I can think of being worthwhile for a tourist that is within close proximity to the ship would be a trip to Kennedy Space Center, if that's something that would be of interest to you.

I believe NCL offers an "excursion" from the ship (in Port Canaveral) to Universal Studios (in Orlando). I live near Port Canaveral and do the theme parks in Orlando often. I would advise against trying to visit in one day. As others have said, it will actually only be a partial day and you won't get much done. I would personally plan the Orlando theme parks as a land vacation so you can actually enjoy them. Enjoy the local beaches or depending on the age of your child(ren) visit Kennedy Space Center instead.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

June is a very busy month for the theme parks. Given the commute over to Orlando you will probably have just a few hours at the park. Still if you want to you can do it through the ship or on your own by renting a vehicle.

We had a port stop in Port Canaveral in February 2013 and did Typhoon Lagoon water park at Disney on our own. It worked out fine as the park was lightly attended that day. We were at the park from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm. which was plenty of time for our kids to enjoy a water park. Plus the admission cost was about half what a one day admission was to a theme park. For us it wouldn't be worth it to do a theme park, your mileage may vary. Whatever you choose to do I hope you have a wonderful time.

OP, have you joined & check-in on your Roll Call and see what others are planning to do ?

IMHO and many other regulars sailing NCL & stopping at PC/Orlando would agree - it's really not worth $$$$ it to do a 1/2 day (and less) and pricey excursion to the theme parks.

We sailed the Gem last April & doing the same this Spring again, and PC is a stop that we don't get off the ship - stayed onboard as a relaxation day with fewer crowds (where it's common to find at least half of the ship stay put & didn't go anywhere)

Scheduled arrival is 1 PM and sailing to next stop, GSC is usually 9 PM, all abroad is 8 PM - ship could be early by 30 minutes to 1 hour but sometimes docked late, further cutting into port time for everyone. Our last 2 times docking there (also with the Breakaway) - there're at most, 15 to 20 motorcoaches or buses outside at the cruise terminal for all the shorex sponosred by NCL ... some going to KSC, some doing the nearby Coca Beach/Village & the wetland/swarm airboat things, etc.

By the time everyone boarded & leave for greater Orlando, you won't possibly get there before 2:30 or 2:45 PM, traffic permitting - then, it's another 15 minutes to get inside the theme parks even if your admission tickets are prepaid in advance. They begin the boarding for the return trip as early as 6 or 6:30 PM for the expected 60 to 90 minutes transfer back to the ship ... in effect, a 3 to 4 hour visit to the theme parks. (Plus, you need to allow 30 to 45 minutes to exit from the far end of the theme park out to the gate, and then to the bus pickup area)

Unlike 15 years ago, NCL docked at 8 AM and had all day, not leaving the port until the evening - with 6 to 7+ hours inside the theme park - with the reduced hours, really not worth it ... unless it's your one and only chance in a lifetime to visit Florida.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

We have been to Disney many times. My son is really into Harry Potter now, so I was going to try to squeeze in a visit to Universal. We have never been to this park.

But I am realizing that it will only give us about 4 hours at the park.

And the ticket prices are insane!!!

I may consider staying on the ship....

Agree with all the others. Universal and Islands of Adventure are awesome! Definitely plan a land vacation where you can spend at least 2 or 3 days there. They have Harry Potter areas in both parks that are themed amazingly, far better than any attraction currently in Disney. Be sure to stay at one of their resorts too, as their deluxe resorts allow you to bypass the lines to most attractions. One of my favorite places to visit!

A few years ago, our ship was rerouted from Bermuda to the Bahamas and thus our daughter's fifth birthday ended up being Port Canaveral instead of a day at sea. As a special birthday treat, we decided to spring for the Walt Disney World excursion from the ship, the first ever trip to Disney with the kids..

The ship docked at 12 noon and was scheduled to depart at 9. We were at the TTC by 2:00 and walked in the gates of the MK at 2:30. After a whirlwind tour of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland, we were walking out by 7:15 to make sure we caught the 8:00 return bus. We were back by 9 and the ship departed soon after. Total time in the park was about five hours. At the time, the excursion costs were $220 for the four of us, plus $350 to get into the park, or $570 total, so it cost about $114/hour to go to Disney, and we got to see parts of two lands of the MK.

Quite expensive for what we got--if it were any regular day, I wouldn't bother. However, given that it was my daughter's birthday (and their first trip to Disney), I thought it was an extra special way to spend the day. If you doubt that, take a look at my daughter's reaction in this video:

a few years ago, our ship was rerouted from bermuda to the bahamas and thus our daughter's fifth birthday ended up being port canaveral instead of a day at sea. As a special birthday treat, we decided to spring for the walt disney world excursion from the ship, the first ever trip to disney with the kids..

The ship docked at 12 noon and was scheduled to depart at 9. We were at the ttc by 2:00 and walked in the gates of the mk at 2:30. After a whirlwind tour of fantasyland and tomorrowland, we were walking out by 7:15 to make sure we caught the 8:00 return bus. We were back by 9 and the ship departed soon after. Total time in the park was about five hours. At the time, the excursion costs were $220 for the four of us, plus $350 to get into the park, or $570 total, so it cost about $114/hour to go to disney, and we got to see parts of two lands of the mk.

Quite expensive for what we got--if it were any regular day, i wouldn't bother. However, given that it was my daughter's birthday (and their first trip to disney), i thought it was an extra special way to spend the day. If you doubt that, take a look at my daughter's reaction in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugoi6hp613w

love that!!!!!