A Princess Cays Mystery!

caribbean2000

3 hours ago, stoneharborlady said:

Do you imagine this damage is due to storms of the last several years?  

That and just being so close to salt water.  Don't think they were made from granite as most tombstones are in the US and probably elsewhere.  I've done a lot of genealogy work and looked at many gravestones in person and on the website, Find-A-Grave, some going back to the early 1800s.  But those were all in inland cemeteries in the US and Canada, not 10 ft (?) from the ocean, which is a much harsher and thus more destructive than the weather at inland locations.

Earlier in this thread someone suggested putting up more permanent memorials.  Even though these graves are "in the wild" so to speak, I think it would presumptuous and inappropriate for us, who are total strangers, to do this.  Even though it sounds like a thoughtful suggestion.

Edited by BarbinMich
  • Like 1

Hmm, it's been a few years... more than 5, since I've checked em out.  I may take the jaunt in February.  From the recent pics above, the shore is clearly closer and from what I recall, much more rocky.  Thanks for updates.  Heck of a thread too!👍

• 2 years later...
On 7/7/2019 at 1:37 PM, LarryF said:

I was there last week and could only find Myrtle Gibson’s tombstone. It’s completely on the beach now with no vegetation near it. I couldn’t find the other tombstone.  I didn’t have my phone with me so I couldn’t take any pictures. I posted a video a few years ago. 

Thanks for the update.  It's been awhile since I've checked it out.  And as of now, we don't have a cruise with a stop at PC.  I'm glad this thread is still alive though!