"Voom Surf & Stream" question

betsyl

I've been on lots of cruises but for the first time have signed up for "Voom Surf & Stream - 1 device" on my upcoming Serenade cruise. My "1 device" is going to be my iPad. It has a phone line attached to it. What do I need to "turn off" so I'm not charged for roaming - data roaming and LTE? Or is that included? I don't want to be hit with a big cellular bill when I get home ...:eek:

Settings > Cellular > Turn off Cellular Data.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

P.S. The "Voom" Wifi is a little slow since there's a lot of metal around the ship and A LOT of people are connected to it. But it's definitely a lot cheaper than those huge cellular data bills!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been on lots of cruises but for the first time have signed up for "Voom Surf & Stream - 1 device" on my upcoming Serenade cruise. My "1 device" is going to be my iPad. It has a phone line attached to it. What do I need to "turn off" so I'm not charged for roaming - data roaming and LTE? Or is that included? I don't want to be hit with a big cellular bill when I get home ...:eek:

If you can receive texts and/or phone calls, I'd put the device in Airplane Mode and then turn on WiFi.

If you can receive texts and/or phone calls, I'd put the device in Airplane Mode and then turn on WiFi.

Swipe up from your iPad and click on the Airplane to turn off cellular, just make sure WiFi icon is enabled.

c566b42d045e536e4651a3de249fdd06.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW, the one device means only one connected at a time. If you have someone else that wants to access via their device, turn off wifi on yours, have them enter the code for the first time as you did, and they can use the service as well. Just remember to turn off wifi for the device that is done and the one now being used, turn on wifi and you are all set. This helps avoid adding multiple accounts and apps to each others device. Keeps it clean if you will.

BTW, the one device means only one connected at a time. If you have someone else that wants to access via their device, turn off wifi on yours, have them enter the code for the first time as you did, and they can use the service as well. Just remember to turn off wifi for the device that is done and the one now being used, turn on wifi and you are all set. This helps avoid adding multiple accounts and apps to each others device. Keeps it clean if you will.

Thanks - that's good to know! I also have an iPhone that I'll be using for photos so sounds like I can go back and forth between the 2, so long as I log off one of them!

And definitely don't think about trying to stream anything if you just get the surf package. Sometimes it is frustrating enough just trying to get Cruise Critic to load.

I'm not planning to "stream" anything anyway - not even sure what that is ...:o

I'm not planning to "stream" anything anyway - not even sure what that is ...:o

In November I used the streaming part for football games on Saturday and Sunday. Worked great! I thought there would be some lag time (buffering, spinning wheel) but never occurred and it was an at sea day both times.