Onboard Expense Account Questions

RVSeaLover

Hello everyone,

We are excited to be taking our first cruise March 11-17! We’ll be on Freedom of the Seas. I emailed RC several days ago but have not yet received an answer, so I’m asking you fine folks the same questions. The answers will help me to decide whether to use our CC to set up our account, or to use cash or debit to set it up at the desk once we get there. Thanks!

Onboard Expense Account Questions:

1. If I use my credit card, will I be able to set a spending limit as well as add to that limit, if I choose, during the cruise?

2. If I do not spend the full amount in my account (whether it be from cash, debit, or a credit card), will I be given my unspent balance back, and when?

I know this wasn't part of your detailed question; I suggest you do not use your debit card for your account. The ship will put a significant hold on that card which means you may not have access to the funds. It also takes a while to release the hoid. In addition, you have fewer protections on debit cards than on credit cards.

Also, I don't start with a cash account but I may use the cash near the end of the trip to pay all or part of the balance due. You can use your credit card when you board and pay cash at the passenger service desk when and if you wish.

If you use a cash account, Royal will let you spend up to $500 over any OBC you have before they as you to pay it down. You do not have to put any initial cash down.

I believe you can put limits on accounts, but I'm not sure of the logistics.

No limits can be set on cc. I agree with above re use of debit card.

If You use cash, you do not have to put any cash down. Any that you put down and unused will be refunded.

I will warn you that if you use cash, you will spend a lot of time at guest services settling up your account.

We always use a cc. Never have to visit guest services. If you are concerned about limits. Use a card with a smaller credit limit on it.

We don't buy stuff from the gift shop, gamble, or buy any drinks so our account is usually just gratutites, a couple of pictures, a couple of ice creams, and a few games of bingo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

My husband is liking the idea of using cash. We’re starting out with $150 OBC (we do anticipate spending more than that), and he likes the idea of settling with guest services as needed. Our gratuities will be prepaid, so only a few instances of gratuity will be needed (i.e. room service, possible extra for cabin attendant, etc.). We *might* have one alcoholic drink a day. We typically only drink tap water & tea (and hear those are free?), may have an occasional cupcake or ice cream, don’t plan on specialty dining, gambling, nor onboard shopping. I’m thinking cash sounds doable for us and will try our best to visit guest services during off peak hours. 😉

My husband is liking the idea of using cash. We’re starting out with $150 OBC (we do anticipate spending more than that), and he likes the idea of settling with guest services as needed. Our gratuities will be prepaid, so only a few instances of gratuity will be needed (i.e. room service, possible extra for cabin attendant, etc.). We *might* have one alcoholic drink a day. We typically only drink tap water & tea (and hear those are free?), may have an occasional cupcake or ice cream, don’t plan on specialty dining, gambling, nor onboard shopping. I’m thinking cash sounds doable for us and will try our best to visit guest services during off peak hours. 😉

Beverages included with your basic cruise fare: tap water, coffee, hot tea, iced tea, lemonade, milk, juices at breakfast.

Wow! That is more than I thought! I’m happy to have a few more options. Thanks! 🙂

You're welcome. Depending on ship, you may also find some flavored waters available in the buffet and possibly another venue.

Honestly, it sounds like you might not even use up your OBC!

lol Believe me, if we see it going that way, we will definitely find things to spend it on! 😉 We’re not against doing/having/having more of any of the things I listed (and didn’t list), it’s just that we don’t want to spend without a budget in mind. I was thinking spending $500 + the $150 OBC and only add more if necessary. Maybe I’m thinking that it’ll all add up more quickly than it actually will. That would be a good problem to have! 👍

The previous poster is right. You can use up to $300 and then they will call you to guest services to pay the bill before you can add more to it. I personally like using my CC whenever and wherever I can. I hate the thought of touching paper money. Money is actually made from cloth and that holds germs a lot longer. People sneeze then touch money and pass it on. With the flu season, more than ever I won't touch it.