Choosing one - Chichenitza, Kohunlich, Dzibanche or Kohunlich & Dzibanche Combo

Kiwifromkiev

Dear Fellow Cruisers,

Although it is a (long) while yet before our first ever trip to the Caribbean, I've started looking into our ports to see what's on offer as we have never been in this part of the world before . We are visiting Cozumel and Costa Maya, and would like to take excursions to see some Maya ruins. As two ports are scheduled one after another, and visiting these ruins involves a long traveling time, we decided to vsit Maya ruins only in one port (as much as we would love to do all of them!). Hence is my question for those of you who was lucky to see these wonders - choosing just one option what would you recommend:

1. Chichenitza,

2. Kohunlich,

3. Dzibanche,

4. Kohunlich & Dzibanche Combo or

5. Any other Maya ruins in either of these ports as a recommended alternative

Thanking you in advance!

Dear Fellow Cruisers,

Although it is a (long) while yet before our first ever trip to the Caribbean, I've started looking into our ports to see what's on offer as we have never been in this part of the world before . We are visiting Cozumel and Costa Maya, and would like to take excursions to see some Maya ruins. As two ports are scheduled one after another, and visiting these ruins involves a long traveling time, we decided to vsit Maya ruins only in one port (as much as we would love to do all of them!). Hence is my question for those of you who was lucky to see these wonders - choosing just one option what would you recommend:

1. Chichenitza,

2. Kohunlich,

3. Dzibanche,

4. Kohunlich & Dzibanche Combo or

5. Any other Maya ruins in either of these ports as a recommended alternative

Thanking you in advance!

We did Kohunlich last week off the Silhouette. It was a 2 hour drive from Costa Maya. Spent 2 hour at the site. It is one of last temple that you can still climb. It was nice we did private journeys from the ship instead of the bus.The bus left which left the site very uncrowded. Some ruins were uncovered in 2001.

We did Coba which was another temple from Cozumel in 1997. At that time you could clumb to the top but you cannot climb it know from what I have heard.

Chicken Itza is the most popular and I think largest of the Mayan ruins that you listed.

Thank you, yes I understand it is the most popular and maybe largest, but I would really like to hear how these sites compare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will choose Chichén Itzá

The pre-Hispanic city of Chichén Itzá was the most outstanding capital of the Mayan area, at the end of the Classic period and the beginnings of the Postclassic period. Upon the arrival of the Spaniards, it was constituted as the most revered center of worship and pilgrimage in the Yucatan peninsula. At present it is a Sacred Center for the Mayans. You are welcome!

19894756_1935438093365652_1390461141253402977_n.jpg?oh=1e10648305ec6063e79158087d923d84&oe=5B074603

I will choose Chichén Itzá

The pre-Hispanic city of Chichén Itzá was the most outstanding capital of the Mayan area, at the end of the Classic period and the beginnings of the Postclassic period. Upon the arrival of the Spaniards, it was constituted as the most revered center of worship and pilgrimage in the Yucatan peninsula. At present it is a Sacred Center for the Mayans. You are welcome!

Thanks [emoji120], have u been there? If so, how is the trip from the port - lots to look at? ( recently, on our journey back from Bangkok to the port, we saw motorways and that’s about if [emoji4])

The Yucatan is flat-not much to see on the way to any of these ruins. Chichenitza is a huge site which has been extensively excavated. I have been there twice and would definitely go again. As for climbing these pyramids- there is a good reason not to. They are extremely dangerous. The authorities have an ambulance on site to take accident victims to a hospital.

Thanks [emoji120], have u been there? If so, how is the trip from the port - lots to look at? ( recently, on our journey back from Bangkok to the port, we saw motorways and that’s about if [emoji4])

I was living in Cozumel and Merida, by bus its better and shorter from Playa del Carmen about 2 Hours, some ships stops there before Cozumel for passenger doing tours in Mainland. If not in Cozumel take the ferry to Playa and then the bus to Chichen. Other option more expensive is by air from Cozumel.

In the road you will only see the jungle.

The Chacmool These figures possibly symbolised slain warriors carrying offerings to the gods; the bowl upon the chest was used to hold sacrificial offerings, including pulque, tamales, tortillas, tobacco, turkeys, feathers and incense. In an Aztec example the receptacle is a cuauhxicalli (a stone bowl to receive sacrificed human hearts). Chacmools were often associated with sacrificial stones or thrones.Aztec chacmools bore water imagery and were associated with Tlaloc, the rain god. Their symbolism placed them on the frontier between the physical and supernatural realms, as intermediaries with the gods. The chacmool form of sculpture first appeared around the 9th century AD in the Valley of Mexico and the northern Yucatan Peninsula.19959200_1935438050032323_3342271906155636379_n.jpg?oh=3a3cd607ec249f2295c8b59a6442d815&oe=5B0C0F76