Best port for dolphin swim?

Cruisergal1208

Why Cozumel? Private or through the ship?

Cozumel Chankanaab National Park is the best place on Western Caribbean route. I would recommend to book it on your own ,so you can enjoy dolphin swim instead of dolphin encounter that ship is offering. Big difference.

We did the Royal Dolphin Swim in Cozumel last November. We booked directly through Dolphin Discovery and, as mentioned above, we took advantage of a promotion which reduced our rate to a fraction of what it would’ve cost us if we’d booked this excursion through the ship.

I will tell you that, while getting close to the dolphins was a neat experience, I wish we would’ve done so in a different way. When we first arrived at Chankanaab Park in Cozumel and we saw the Dolphin Discovery facilities and the dolphins jumping out of the water, we thought that the dolphins had plenty of space and looked very happy. But once we got closer to the dolphins, we realized that they were covered with scratches, and they had some sort of damage to their nose. It was later that we realized that this damage was caused by the tricks that these dolphins are forced to execute multiple times a day where they push swimmers on a boogie board with the tip of their noses. We also learned that the area where dolphins are contained, while part of the ocean, does not provide enough depth for these dolphins to move around freely.

We left this experience with very mixed emotions. Part of us was thrilled about having been able to meet these dolphins , but another part of us felt awful because of the circumstances under which we met them. If we’d known then what we know now, we would’ve chosen a different activity.

If you’re dead set on interacting with dolphins, I would recommend that you look for activities in which the dolphins aren’t held in captivity and in which they aren’t forced to perform tricks. There are several locations throughout the Caribbean and along the Florida coast that do this. I know that there’s one company in Panama City which will take you by boat to where dolphins are found in the wild, and then you can jump in the ocean and swim in close proximity while in their natural habitat. No enclosures, no captivity, no tricks.

If I were to do it all over again, this is the type of activity which I would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Agree 1000% with Tapi and Tom, if you care about animals....these types of tourist 'attractions' will leave you with sad feelings. Like the old days with zoos and the animals in small nasty steel cages.

Cheers!

We did the dolphin swim at a Blue Lagoon in Nassau and absolutely loved it. It was a small group and you got a lot of interaction with the dolphins. It is expensive but was totally worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree 1000% with Tapi and Tom, if you care about animals....these types of tourist 'attractions' will leave you with sad feelings. Like the old days with zoos and the animals in small nasty steel cages.

Cheers!

Hi.. I'm not a tree hugger in any way but was fortunate to actually live, work and observe these beautiful animals in their own world on almost a daily basis. I believe everyone has a right to make their own decisions on this topic but also wish that everyone understands what's behind the curtain and smile that is permanently on their faces.. good article here. https://justinpluslauren.com/swimming-the-dolphins-the-dark-truth/

Sent from my Z988 using Forums mobile app

The only dolphin swim I have ever recommended is Anthony’s key for the reasons Tom and Tapi have stated above. Anthonys key is a research and rehabilitation center. After reading the article, I’m wondering if even Anthony’s is humane. Tom or tapi- do you have any knowledge about the workings of the center?

http://www.dolphincommunicationproject.org/index.php/about-dolphins/researchsites/roatan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk