Transportation Decision Help: Civitavecchia to Rome with Hotel near FCO

FunInTheSun9

I am still grappling with how to arrange transport in advance between the Port, Rome, and our hotel near FCO. Problem is I can't seem to get a straight answer on train ticket costs. Has anyone done this via train that can answer, or know how to get accurate train ticket costs?...

We arrive in Civitavecchia on April 27th after our 14 day TA, and we have an AirBNB near the Parco Leonardo train station (just outside of FCO) for two nights. The plan is to visit the Vatican on the 27th, and spend the day walking Rome on the 28th, before flying out the morning of the 29th.

For transportation on the 27th, I'm thinking of either:

1. Taking the train from Civitavecchia to San Pietro, pay to store our bags at CityInLoop outside of St. Peter's square ($7 euro/bag) and tour the Vatican. Then catch dinner, pick up the bags, and take the train to Parco Leonardo station. Does anyone know how much this would cost: FR-5 regional train from Civitavecchia to San Pietro, train from San Pietro to Trastevere, then catch FR-1 train from Trastevere to Parco Leonardo?

or

2. Take the $20 euro Smartcruisetours bus to FCO and taxi to the AirBNB near Parco Leonardo station, drop the bags at the AiBNB, take the train the San Pietro station (Vatican) and back. Any idea on train ticket cost from Parco Leonardo to San Pietro and back?

Option #1 gives us more time in the Vatican (2 extra hours or more!), but we have to deal with baggage/backpack in tow before we arrive there. Maybe not the best idea with pick-pockets around, though we'll only have the bags while on the train.

On the 28th we will go into Rome on the FR-1 regional train from Parco Leonardo to Trastevere, use buses/trams/metro to get around Rome, and then take the FR-1 back from Trastevere to Parco Leonardo. I was thinking that a $12 Euro BIRG ticket may work best to cover all transport costs on this day - though I am still a little skeptical that it will work on the FR-1 based on some posts I have read. Will the BIRG work for this?

Hoping someone may have clarity. Open to recommendations. Thank you.

Hello,

From Rome to Civitavecchia we used the train, never again, it was really nice with suitcases and you were not at all well inside the train and also we had to walk from the parking lot to the port for 1 kilometer,

So on the return from Civitavecchia Port to Rome I took a car rental company with driver. The driver was waiting for us under our ship with a sign with our name, he loaded our bags and took us to our hotel in Rome and downloaded our suitcases, it was a beautiful trip and certainly next time I will use it again !!!! I prefer to spend more but have a great service!

The company I used is romeairportshuttlelimoservice.com

It appears to me, based on past posting history, that this poster is promoting his/her own transfer service. (Click on past posts and you will see what I mean....)

For transportation on the 27th, I'm thinking of either:

1. Taking the train from Civitavecchia to San Pietro, pay to store our bags at CityInLoop outside of St. Peter's square ($7 euro/bag) and tour the Vatican. Then catch dinner, pick up the bags, and take the train to Parco Leonardo station. Does anyone know how much this would cost: FR-5 regional train from Civitavecchia to San Pietro, train from San Pietro to Trastevere, then catch FR-1 train from Trastevere to Parco Leonardo?

The train from Civitavecchia to Roma San Pietro is €4,60.

The train from Roma S. Pietro to Parco Leonardo (one ticket) is €2,10.

It appears to me, based on past posting history, that this poster is promoting his/her own transfer service. (Click on past posts and you will see what I mean....)

Yeah, I haven't seen any published change of policy or guidelines but CC doesn't seem to be interested in enforcing their own regulations no matter how many people use the "report post" function.

Thank you!

Should we purchase the €12 BIRG ticket while in Civitavecchia for use the next day (28th) in Rome? Or will the €7 BIG work from Parco Leonardo station to Trastevere and back, with buses/trams/metro in between? I think we can get the BIG at the Parco Leonardo station.

Quick follow-up: Are the two tickets mentioned above purchased via the machines in the station only (or news stand, tobacchi shop, etc.)? Is there a website that can tell me rates between stations?...I get different rates when I google search.

You can buy tickets from the machines at the stations or from manned offices where they exist (Civitavecchia has a ticket office, Roma S. Pietro does not, as I recall).

You can check the prices on the Trenitalia web site: http://www.trenitalia.com

Use a date this week to see the prices, they don't show up very far in advance but they don't change either.

Also, use the Italian terms for the stations.

You can buy tickets from the machines at the stations or from manned offices where they exist (Civitavecchia has a ticket office, Roma S. Pietro does not, as I recall).

You can check the prices on the Trenitalia web site: http://www.trenitalia.com

Use a date this week to see the prices, they don't show up very far in advance but they don't change either.

Also, use the Italian terms for the stations.

You rock! Thank you eurocruiser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I also purchase a BIG ticket ($6pp euro) at the Civitavecchia station, and will it cover regional train transport (FR-5, FR-1) from Civitavecchia to Roma S. Pietro, and Roma S. Pietro to Parco Leonardo? If so, I may just purchase two BIG tickets to cover each day (buses/metro in Rome the second day too) and not have to worry about buying multiple tickets.

Can I also purchase a BIG ticket ($6pp euro) at the Civitavecchia station, and will it cover regional train transport (FR-5, FR-1) from Civitavecchia to Roma S. Pietro, and Roma S. Pietro to Parco Leonardo? If so, I may just purchase two BIG tickets to cover each day (buses/metro in Rome the second day too) and not have to worry about buying multiple tickets.

The BIG tickets are only for Rome so you can't buy them or use them in Civitavecchia.

You could buy a 5-zone BIRG for €12 per person, that would cover all of your train travel from Civitavecchia to Rome and to Parco Leonardo, as well as buses, metro and trams in Rome for the entire day. This ticket is sold at the newsstand in the Civitavecchia train station.

The BIG tickets are only for Rome so you can't buy them or use them in Civitavecchia.

You could buy a 5-zone BIRG for €12 per person, that would cover all of your train travel from Civitavecchia to Rome and to Parco Leonardo, as well as buses, metro and trams in Rome for the entire day. This ticket is sold at the newsstand in the Civitavecchia train station.

Got it. Perfect. Thank you!