Venice - is this itinerary realistic?

iujen94

cruisemom - you and goldenbonny will never bump into each other sightseeing. Godenbonny also said that there is nothing to see in Olympia and that it has the most boring museum ever.

Yes, there is something for everyone and that is all good.

For me Olympia is overrated tourist trap. You found there something interesting but field and couple stones (maybe not even real once?) I found Acropolis museum very interesting, as Acropolis itself, but not Olympia . Because of time shortage we will probably skip going to Coliseum(inside) and go to Borghese Gallery instead. We all have our priorities I guess and only thing we can wish is more time to spend in cities like Venice and Rome.

One of the joys in Venice is just wandering. We found a lovely strings concert one night in a church. Little bakeries with exquisite pastries, experimental and traditional gelato shops. Ciccheti, or small snacks with Prosecco or a spritz along a canal. There is so much to experience. I would recommend some time for just exploring.

We have been many times and still have not made it into the Guggenheim, but we have visited the Biennale several times and some of the less well known museums.

It is also hard to time things as customs on arrival if it is your first entry to the EU can take quite a while.

Enjoy the magic!

I agree! The best part of visiting Venice is wandering the streets. No possibility of adding a day or two more to your trip? It would be so worth it. Besides customs, just getting to your hotel can take time. I’ve been to Venice many times and have never been to Guggenheim. Also...Burano is a gorgeous place to visit. If you are able to add time onto your trip, be sure to go there. You will love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...
My sister and I have barely a day in Venice before heading out on a cruise. Obviously we want to make the most of our time, as this may be our first and only visit there. Is this itinerary realistic?

9:15am - flight lands at airport

10:00 - have checked luggage, leave airport, take ATVO airport bus to Piazzale Roma

11:00 - be at hotel (Hotel Arlecchino in Piazzale Roma). Check in, drop bags and go

Take Vaporetto (slow line #1) down Grand Canal

12:00 - arrive in St. Mark's. Book tickets for St. Mark's Basilica for 12:15-12:30. Plan to spend until 2:00 in St. Mark's Basilica, including going to the San Marco Museum.

If you pray to the old Roman Gods your schedule may work.

Last November my wife and I did a cruise out of Venice. When the plane lands it has to make it's way to the gate, or in our case, we had to board a bus to take us to the terminal. Once inside the terminal you have to go through customs. This was a long wait. Then you wait for your luggage. At this point you pray it all made it and all will be well. One of our bags was missing. So more time was spent waiting by a counter manned by one person who was helping someone else. When another employee finished his break and came out from the back we thought we had help. The guy took his time calling us over we found his english was about as good as our italian, not good. We had someone from our hotel meet us so he handled most of the conversations. Still, we had forms to fill out, pictures of luggage to look at and more conversations. Met a few nice people who were going on the same cruise with the same problem. Ended up that our luggage would come in the next morning and they would deliver it to our hotel, which they did.

Long story short, it took us about 2 hours to get to our hotel. Once there you may spend more time than you expect checking in.

Fly over a day earlier if you can, sleep off the jet lag and you'll enjoy the next day so much better.