Tell me about Stingray City

Nevada Jen

So I thought this sounded like a super fun excursion but my dad (not elderly) and 12 year old son (not your typical boy) both say this is insanely dangerous and one of us is bound to die. Obviously they are wrong but it did get me thinking, aren't these creatures really dangerous? Like their tails can kill you? I really want to do it but I need to know how it is possible that its actually safe.

It's the coolest experience I have ever had. Yes, the stingrays are wild, but they are very used to humans. It's very safe as long as you use common sense. For more info, read my standard blurb below.

---------------

Dangerous Stingrays?

Stingrays are generally non-aggressive. When threatened, their first reaction is to swim away. This is easy for them to do at Stingray City, since it's just a section of open ocean and the stingrays aren't penned up in any way. They don't just attack you and sting you (although they can be fairly enthusiastic and/or boisterous in their quest for squid chunks). They may sting you by reflex/accident if you step on one. That's why you are not permitted to wear water shoes at Stingray City, and why you are told to shuffle your feet rather than lift them, so that you will not accidententally step on one.

There are many, many types of rays. Steve Irwin was stung by a bull ray, a totally different type than the southern rays at Stingray City. It is also suggested that what killed him wasn't the sting itself, but the fact that he was stung in the chest and then pulled out the barb. There is also the issue that the bull ray was a wild ray and unused to people, while the Stingray City southern rays have spent years and years learning that people are not the enemy, they're a ready source of squid snacks.

For most stings, which are extremely rare, Wikipedia says that the remedy is usually hot water to dilute the venom plus antibiotics. I don't personally know anyone who has ever been stung, so I just have to trust my research on that part of the issue.

From my experience at Stingray City, which is fairly extensive, the usual "injuries" from stingrays involve "hickeys" from the suction of their mouths during a search for squid (say when your DH has stuffed a chunk of squid down your bathing suit for fun) or accidental scrapes from their tails when they swim by you too fast looking for squid and the tail kind of whips against you. These injuries are very minor, though, and are far from life-threatening.

You'll notice the common element here is squid. Stingrays at Stingray City are only interested in one thing...the snacks that they know you've brought with you. No squid = no stingray attention at all. They're worse than cats that way. If you aren't giving them treats, they've got very little interest in you. They may swim by, just to double-check for squid, but as soon as they realize you haven't got any, they'll swim away again fairly quickly. If you are at all nervous about them, stay away from the squid and the stingrays will stay away from you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingrays

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Irwin#Death

I've been to Stingray City dozens of times, and never had a problem with the stingrays. (With my DH, sure, but never the rays. ) It's very safe as long as you behave with respect and common sense.

The stingrays in the Caribbean won't kill you if you get stung by them. It is also unlikely you will get stung, as they are there because they want to get fed. The guides will advise you to shuffle your feet as you move around, to avoid stepping on any of them hidden in the sand, as that is the most common reason people get stung, by accidentally stepping on them. I have been to stingray city 3 times and have never had a problem nor witnessed anyone having a problem. I will admit I was nervous the first time I went, but I love it now. When we went last year there were 6 of us: my son (15), my husband and I, my parents (72 and 68) and my mother-in-law (81). Everyone had a great time. If your dad and son get there and are too nervous to stay in the water, they can always get back on the boat. Hopefully they will see how cool it is though.

Do these beautiful creatures look like they want to hurt anyone? No, they want food and people bring them free yummy food (dead squid, their favorite). They aren't stupid, more like cats rubbing against your legs wanting your attention. Hundreds of tourists do it there every single day! Tell your dad and son to tell you how many people have gotten hurt by them - what have they seen on the news?

Book the trip.... and if they are still chicken, they can stay on the boat and miss the fun. (we had one lady who did it, wouldn't get in the water at all)

robin

It is easily one of the coolest things we have ever done on a cruise. Have been there twice, it can get kind of busy at certain times but it is unlike anything you will ever do and would recommend it to anyone.

We have the trip booked in early May, we are taking our kids (6 & 7) too. I was worried that my kids would be a little scared to get in the water.So I read a lot of reviews and my cousin had also been on this excursion and she was scared and stayed in the boat and the guides brought the stingrays to the boat to show her and that is was her only interaction with them. I say book it, once in a lifetime experience!!

We just returned from a Celebrity Cruise that stopped in Grand Cayman. We took the Stingray City tour with Moby Dick Tours. It was excellent. They are very professional and they get you in real close to the Stingrays. They know the individual rays and call them by name. It was a very good tour. I think we paid $49 per person, we paid them after the trip was over. In addition to playing with the stingrays, they took us to a reef to snorkel. Very pleasant trip with great people. I would highly recommend.