Do you recommend this cruise to Asia in December?

Jadeone

I am looking at a 20 day cruise in late November/December on Princess Sapphire called Southeast Asia grand adventure.

Anyone recommend it? Hate it? The reviews I've read talk mostly about the ship. Did you feel the ports and itinerary were worthwhile? Excursions? And if you traveled in the winter, what was it like?

Singapore

Bali (Benoa), Indonesia

Kuala Lumpur (Port Kelang), Malaysia

Penang, Malaysia

Phuket, Thailand

Singapore

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

Nha Trang, Vietnam

Ho Chi Minh City (Phu My), Vietnam

Bangkok (Laem Chabang), Thailand

Ko Samui, Thailand

Singapore

TIA, Jadeone

I just recently did 10 days on the Sapphire that went to the first 4 ports on the cruise you are considering (Bali, Kuala Lumpur, Penang, and Phuket).

I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I didn't do a whole lot of excursions but I did do the Elephant Sanctuary in Bali and I booked a bike tour on Penang which was, for me, the highlight of my trip.

I would repeat that cruise in a heartbeat. The added days to Vietnam and Thailand would just be icing on the cake for me.

Nearly identical cruise December 2016 (Bali wasn't one of our ports). Had a great time. Of course it all depends on what your interests are. We had never been to any of these places before and had a wonderful time. Although we did have some rain, it didn't hamper any of our excursions. Took 2 snorkeling excursions but water was murky so didn't see much. Didn't go into Bangkok because at the end of the cruise we flew there and took a 2 week trip around Thailand, and then spent a few days in Siem Reap before flying back to Singapore and home. Too far to go just for 3 weeks! Loved Singapore (except for the prices!).

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also looking to do SE Asia on the Sapphire but I'm concerned that several of the ports are too far from the cities. I wouldn't look forward to spending hours on buses getting to Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh, Kuala Lumpur etc.

I'm also looking to do SE Asia on the Sapphire but I'm concerned that several of the ports are too far from the cities. I wouldn't look forward to spending hours on buses getting to Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh, Kuala Lumpur etc.

It's certainly true that Bangkok and Ho Chi Minh are a fair drive and the days we were there the traffic was pretty bad as well. Unfortunately that's the way it is with a few ports around the world. Rome is the same but I'm not thinking of not doing a Med cruise because the port is a distance from Rome. I'm on holidays and cruising so I just suck it up.

Yes it is good cruise and some great ports. Here is my take on the ports

Singapore Great port ship docks very near the heart of the city. Taxis, walking and MTR all offered a very nice place lots to do.

Bali (Benoa), Indonesia: Bali Small port very beautiful place can fin some things to do around the port well worth a port stop.

Kuala Lumpur (Port Kelang), Malaysia : Port is not really near Kuala Lumpur, looking at one hour to get to the city.

Penang, Malaysia: port is in the city We just rented a taxi for several hours, could walk from the port to downtown in about 20 minutes.

Phuket, Thailand: Phuket is a Island ship is near the town and the beaches, good port stop. It is on the western coast of Thailand Indian Ocean Side. Some who say most beautiful beaches and smaller Islands in Thailand

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia: Been here a few times, some shopping easy to get around, I found to be just a average port. Doers have good shopping.

Nha Trang, Vietnam: Ship is near the beach and the main area a good port stop.

Ho Chi Minh City (Phu My), Vietnam: You will be a hour away from the city best way to see city is a private tour (not with ship) a all day tour is about $300 dollars for two people but adding more people is under $50 dollars each. Private car or van meets you at the ship returns you end of day. I found this a much better option than the cruise bus tour.

Bangkok (Laem Chabang), Thailand: Laem Chabang is not Bangkok it is the port cruise ships use for Bangkok. It is a hour to Bangkok by car without traffic, with traffic can be much more. Within 1 km of the port you will find business and things to do but you do need to travel if you want to see Bangkok. The port is much closer to Pattaya Beach (30 minutes away) than Bangkok. If you want to go to Pattaya, Baht Bueses (Small converted pick up trucks), taxis and regular buses all available. Pattaya Beach is know as the sex capital of Asia, while lots of family stuff hundred of adults clubs... and lets just leave at that on a family site.

Ko Samui, Thailand: Another Island part of Thailand located in the Bay of Thailand. Others think these are the best beaches in Thailand, smaller and more personal than Phuket.

I have lived in two of the countries you will visit and been to the others for several weeks. And still I would consider taking this cruise. It should be a very nice cruise.

We did a similar cruise 18 nights to Asia on the Sapphire Princess two years ago and was one of our favorite loved it. You should like it even more now that the Sapphire has been renovated.