Viking Homelands - Where to stay overnight in Stockholm?

kathe82

Hello,

We are cruising the Viking Homelands on July 28th and will need to book an hotel the last day of the cruise before our flight that departs the next morning at 9AM. We have no idea where to book... Anybody has experience and would recommend a neighborhood?

We would love to be able to explore more after disembarkation without trolling our luggage everywhere but going closer to the airport can also make sense if there is something to see over there...

Thank in advance for your help :)

We did Homelands last year ... a great cruise. We stayed at the Radisson Blu Royal Viking in Stockholm, which is right next door to the train station. It is a comfortable mid range hotel. The hop on hop off bus goes right past the hotel and / or it is a comfortable 20 min walk to the Old Town. Be wary of taxis, quite expensive. There will be a lineup of taxis on the dock as you disembark - ask the driver for a fixed fare to the Radisson so you know what you will be up for. Importantly, the Arlanda Express (airport train) is the best way to / from the airport and it runs at regular intervals. So the proximity of the Radisson to the train station was a big selling point for us. When purchasing the train tickets make sure you go to the train ticket counter - we tried to board the airport train using bus tickets (not recommended !) as we didn't look closely enough at the sign behind the counter when we walked in. Stockholm is a great city. Make sure you do the one hour canal cruise which leaves from the dock across from the Royal Palace. Enjoy.

Edited by helenandfrank
add information

We stayed at the Radisson Blu at the airport. It was really nice. We had purchased tickets on the Arlanda Express to get there but found out once in Stockholm that the cab ride was cheaper and faster and dropped us off at the hotel. We stayed at the Hilton in Stockholm for one night, left our luggage, toured around then went back to collect our luggage and take the train. Once I found out how cheap the cab was (a fixed rate from the hotel and sorry I don't remember how much), we just took the cab and he dropped us at the door of the Radisson Blu at the airport. Free shuttle to the terminal in the morning and we didn't have to be up super super early to allow for transportation to the airport since we were already there. They had free breakfast too but we had to be at the airport early. They gave us a "to go" breakfast with rolls, etc. The rooms were nice, there was a nice little restaurant. I wonder if you booked a room at the Radisson Blu at the airport if the Radisson Blu in Stockholm would let you leave your luggage there? We were really nervous about making our flight and that's why we moved from the Hilton to the Radisson Blu at the airport so we would not be nervous about the flight.

OK just looked it up....520 SEK fixed rate from the Hilton to the Radisson Blu at the airport...about $65 or so. Taxi took us and our luggage and brought us to the door. I forfeited the Arlanda Express tickets, it was dumb of me to buy them!

Edited by stretchcruz

We stayed at Radisson Blu Waterfront in the city. Close to Gamla Stan for a stroll for dinner and right next to the Central Railway station for the Arlanda express train to the airport which was fantastic. It’s very popular with cruisers from all ships. Breakfast was excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We stayed at Radisson Blu Waterfront in the city. Close to Gamla Stan for a stroll for dinner and right next to the Central Railway station for the Arlanda express train to the airport which was fantastic. It’s very popular with cruisers from all ships. Breakfast was excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've also stayed here. Very helpful staff, clean and comfortable rooms, and it couldn't be more convenient to the train station!

I took enjoyed staying at the Radisson Blu Waterfront and agree with the other posters. I was there for Viking's pre-trip before the Homelands cruise. Another benefit is that you can walk to City Hall and tour where the Nobel Prize banquet is held. The ferry to Drottningholm Palace leaves from City Hall as well. Recommend visiting both!

We stayed at the Hilton - which is within walking distance to the Viking embarkation dock and close to Gamla Stan and all the sites - great breakfast buffet and on concierge level - great hospitality room with generous offerings and free drinks - liquor, etc.