Drink Pricing

SCLGFam2008

We debated and debated the Cheers package. When looking at the cost for a 7 day cruise, it was $830 for my husband and I. Since most drinks would be around $10(because of the 15% gratuity)we figured that equals 83 drinks. Since we only have one day at sea and the rest at ports we decided we wouldn't drink enough to make it worth it. Plus, he doesn't do "specialty" coffee and although I love water and vitamin water, I ordered the 12 pack for my room and plan to supplement in my Yeti from the tap water and ice available. We also factored in that I'm mostly a Mich Ultra drinker and that would be cheaper than the fruity drinks so again not worth it. Guess we will see if we figured correctly!

We debated and debated the Cheers package. When looking at the cost for a 7 day cruise, it was $830 for my husband and I. Since most drinks would be around $10(because of the 15% gratuity)we figured that equals 83 drinks. Since we only have one day at sea and the rest at ports we decided we wouldn't drink enough to make it worth it. Plus, he doesn't do "specialty" coffee and although I love water and vitamin water, I ordered the 12 pack for my room and plan to supplement in my Yeti from the tap water and ice available. We also factored in that I'm mostly a Mich Ultra drinker and that would be cheaper than the fruity drinks so again not worth it. Guess we will see if we figured correctly!

We must think alike, as we went through same debate. It just doesn’t make sense for us. We leave Saturday and will see what happens. I’ll report back and end of trip.

sounds like Crazy4Camping and Bubba have put some good thought into their decisions. I am interested in their comments when they return.
It's real simple. Nine beers @ 6 bucks or 4.5 Alchemy Bar drinks @ 11 bucks or 6 frozen or other drinks @ 8.50 or 5 beers and 3 shots. The non alcoholic stuff or anything above these numbers is gravy. If you can't average these numbers per day, then don't buy Cheers.
  • Like 1

Thank you for the menu. I may have to re-think my potential Cheers purchase (I was assuming I'd be doing 2 drinks @ $9, 2 @10 and 2@11), but looks like $8.75 is about the max for the drinks I like.

We are not doing the Cheers program but I'm kind of thinking we should have. This is what we did instead:

- we bought 2 bottles of hard alcohol (1 litre of rum, 1 litre of vodka) from the fun shops

- we will bring our own mixer onto the ship

- we will bring our own wine onto the ship

All in, we are at around $200 so far. On top of that, I figure we will have 2 or 3 bar drinks per person per day or 40 bar drinks in total for our 8 night cruise. If we assume $8 per drink (hubby drinks beer), that's an additional $320. In total, booze for us will cost $520. That is for 2 people for an 8 night cruise. That works out to around $32 per person per day for alcohol.

When you consider Cheers is only an extra $20 per person per day, it wouldn't take much to get your money's worth and then some.

We are not doing the Cheers program but I'm kind of thinking we should have. This is what we did instead:

- we bought 2 bottles of hard alcohol (1 litre of rum, 1 litre of vodka) from the fun shops

- we will bring our own mixer onto the ship

- we will bring our own wine onto the ship

All in, we are at around $200 so far. On top of that, I figure we will have 2 or 3 bar drinks per person per day or 40 bar drinks in total for our 8 night cruise. If we assume $8 per drink (hubby drinks beer), that's an additional $320. In total, booze for us will cost $520. That is for 2 people for an 8 night cruise. That works out to around $32 per person per day for alcohol.

When you consider Cheers is only an extra $20 per person per day, it wouldn't take much to get your money's worth and then some.

We’re not going for it either this time. At home on a usual week we only really drink about once a week so when we’re on a cruise we can drink a lot for 2 to 3 days but then it becomes more of a chore. The amount of extra calories every single day and alcohol start to wear on us and we usually just end up drinking a couple of drinks at dinner and at night the last few days. That’s how Cheers usually doesn’t pay for us. Just can’t drink like a rockstar every day for 7 days anymore. We don’t drink milkshakes, vitamin water, energy drinks or soda and we ordered bottled water through the Fun Shop. And I’ll carry on two bottles of Prosecco.

I budgeted for 3 specialty coffees a day, eight beers, 10 shots total shots and 3 virgin drinks per day for 7 days for the both of us and it comes up a couple hundred short of $830 for Cheers. I’m going to buy $500 in the $90 AARP gift cards and put it on our account. I think we’re going to be fine. Whenever I have the drink package I feel like I force myself to drink just to make sure I don’t waste money. I think I’ll actually be more relaxed if we just pay for what we want.

Edited by Jerseygirl1416
  • Like 1

sounds like Crazy4Camping and Bubba have put some good thought into their decisions. I am interested in their comments when they return.

I’ll definitely report back my experience. We’ve done drink pacakges before and at best broke even. We’re casual beer drinkers who on 2-3 nights could maximize package but not for 7 days straight. The non alcoholic stuff we can live without or if wanted I can just buy. We already bought a 12 pack of water for $4.50 which is a great deal and we bring a couple 12 packs of soda on board as well.

We plan to buy buckets of beer to save a couple bucks, and I see the Red Frog Pub has pitchers of beer or beer tubes (101 ounces) for $28-$30. So that lowers cost per beer down to under $4 each. If we get 2 beer tubes a day is roughly 16 beers at $60. So 7 days straight puts us at $420 and half cost of Cheers if we did it everyday.

If for some reason I regain my youth and spend more then the cost of Cheers, lesson learned and will know for next time.

I won't be reporting back until next February after we sail but this is our first cruise and we're trying to be a cost-effective as possible. That being said, once I'm tipsy I start doing crazy things like drinking more and eating more so we will see how well I do in that department! LOL

I won't be reporting back until next February after we sail but this is our first cruise and we're trying to be a cost-effective as possible. That being said, once I'm tipsy I start doing crazy things like drinking more and eating more so we will see how well I do in that department! LOL
Another option for future reference is to look into a cruise on one of the newer ships from NCL that includes a perk that you can get for even being in an inside cabin. All you do is pay 17.80 per day, which is the 20% mandatory gratuity on their ridiculously inflated drinks package of 89 per day. It's still a money saver most of the time after factoring in the cost of Cheers.

Another option for future reference is to look into a cruise on one of the newer ships from NCL that includes a perk that you can get for even being in an inside cabin. All you do is pay 17.80 per day, which is the 20% mandatory gratuity on their ridiculously inflated drinks package of 89 per day. It's still a money saver most of the time after factoring in the cost of Cheers.

NCL gives you 2 drinks at a time too. That was how I realized Cheers isn't for me. I can't drink that much for an entire week......a few days yes but not 7. I want to remember my vacation.

Okay what is a "beer tube" and also I already have some gift cards to bring with me to settle my sign and sail at the end of the cruise. What does one mean by "add to my account"? Can these be added as like extra money when I'm paying for the cruise itself or is the account online to pay for the cruise and the account on the ship(S&S)two different entities?

Okay what is a "beer tube" and also I already have some gift cards to bring with me to settle my sign and sail at the end of the cruise. What does one mean by "add to my account"? Can these be added as like extra money when I'm paying for the cruise itself or is the account online to pay for the cruise and the account on the ship(S&S)two different entities?
When you check in for your cruise, you can have your gift cards added to your account and whatever you spend on board will be applied to the gift cards first and then any overages will go on to your credit card that you use as a backup.

A beer tube is I believe 101 ounces of draft beer of your choice in a clear cylindrical tube that sometimes also has an ice insert. There is a spigot on the bottom so that you can pour your own pint. The cost varies depending upon your beer choice and of course has the 15% gratuity added. They are not part of the Cheers package, but are a value buy on day one if you're cruising out of NYC or Galveston where Cheers is not valid on embarkation day.

They are not part of the Cheers package, but are a value buy on day one if you're cruising out of NYC or Galveston where Cheers is not valid on embarkation day.

Does this mean you can't use the Cheers package the first day out of NY, or that tax is charged on drinks ordered in port?

Thank you,

Mike

They are not part of the Cheers package, but are a value buy on day one if you're cruising out of NYC or Galveston where Cheers is not valid on embarkation day.

Does this mean you can't use the Cheers package the first day out of NY, or that tax is charged on drinks ordered in port?

Thank you,

Mike

Both... taxes are always charged on embarkation day while still in any US port and also charged while in a US port during the cruise such as Key West. The Cheers program is also not valid on embarkation day in Galveston or NYC and you are not charged for it.

I liked the unlimited beverage package on NCL too. Granted, I know this is built into the price of the cruise, but I liked it as an option so you could just get whatever you want. And try lots of drinks and not worry about what you were spending. I think the only time I had to pay extra ever was $1-2 more for top shelf martinis with primo vodka, coffee and liquor. Chocolate espresso martini being a favorite after dinner settled.

I was sold on Cheers but now just thinking about buying some AARP gift cards and adding them to the account. If you don't use it all, you can get that amount credited back, right? Have to look into that.

Anyway, was thinking an average day for me includes maybe 3-4 drinks (combo of mixed or blended drinks or strong IPAs) during the afternoon and 2-3 glasses of wine at dinner and a specialty coffee each day. Maybe a port wine with desert (does Carnival have port wine, not being snarky, do they generally?). Probably less than that for my wife. I can't figure we'll go much more than the cost of Cheers if we keep it to that. Only one way to find out!