Drink Pricing

SCLGFam2008

Breaking even is certainly not a deal. When you purchase Cheers, you must make a commitment to buy it for each day of the cruise.

How many cruisers have bought Cheers, drank too much on day 1, and got so sick they would not care for any alcohol on day 2? No refunds if you don't use it.

What if you catch the norovirus? You'll be stuck in the cabin puking. Ditto for seasickness. Are you going to get a Cheers refund if you get sick?

To balance out the risk of not using the package, you would need to come out WAY ahead. Otherwise, take the money you would have spent on Cheers and just use it to pay off the bar bill. Your wallet will thank you.

WHAT are you saying!?!?!? If I did as you suggest, I would spend the ENTIRE cruise fretting and worrying about that final "bar bill" at cruise end...checking every night to see what the current tally is..maybe have to decide part way through the cruise I may have to stop drinking rather than risk a huge bill at the end of the cruise!! And those drinks I don't like...ugh!! Money wasted!! So I'd have to stop trying new things and stick to rum and cokes!!! Nah, much better I throw $800-$1000 at the cruise line pre-cruise rather than deal with all the angst associated with the risks involved waiting for that bill at end of cruise, so much peace of mind doing so.

WHAT are you saying!?!?!? If I did as you suggest, I would spend the ENTIRE cruise fretting and worrying about that final "bar bill" at cruise end...checking every night to see what the current tally is..maybe have to decide part way through the cruise I may have to stop drinking rather than risk a huge bill at the end of the cruise!! And those drinks I don't like...ugh!! Money wasted!! So I'd have to stop trying new things and stick to rum and cokes!!! Nah, much better I throw $800-$1000 at the cruise line pre-cruise rather than deal with all the angst associated with the risks involved waiting for that bill at end of cruise, so much peace of mind doing so.

Everyone is different and if pre paying 800-1000 before your cruise to offer you peace of mind, that’s great. But what if you total all your drinks at the end of cruise and it’s only $600? And if it’s $1200, you win. It’s a risk.

Plus your committed when you buy it. If you get sick or need a day off from drinking you don’t get reimbursed. Our point is geared to beer drinkers only. It’s not a savings if you mainly drink beer, and even the other stuff doesn’t make it beneficial.

Like I said earlier, I don’t drink 6-7 beers a day at home. Why should I expect to do the same on a 7 day cruise just because it’s vacation. I go on vacation to relax, not worry about how can I maximize Cheers and spend each day adding up if I broke even. I’ve done that, and it’s not worth it to me.

I’ve been there. We did a 3 night and both got Cheers. Thought the price for that small of time was worth it. Two days of moderate drinking, day 3 neither of us had anything.

We still broke even based on cost, but day two we went against our norm of beer, and had drinks at Alchemy. So truly, that’s the only reason we “broke even”.

We leave in a few days for our 7 night cruise and neither getting Cheers. We figured based on 4 port stops, a couple of days of not drinking at all or a small amount wouldn’t justify cost of $840 for maybe 3 days of moderate drinking.

Edited by bubba2012
Edit

Breaking even is certainly not a deal. When you purchase Cheers, you must make a commitment to buy it for each day of the cruise.

How many cruisers have bought Cheers, drank too much on day 1, and got so sick they would not care for any alcohol on day 2? No refunds if you don't use it.

What if you catch the norovirus? You'll be stuck in the cabin puking. Ditto for seasickness. Are you going to get a Cheers refund if you get sick?

To balance out the risk of not using the package, you would need to come out WAY ahead. Otherwise, take the money you would have spent on Cheers and just use it to pay off the bar bill. Your wallet will thank you.

It's not a contest. We don't count.

I found this Carnival Drink menu (2017 for the Sunshine). What I do is buy Carnival Cruise Cash to cover my drinks. I estimate how often I might buy a beverage - say like 3 on Embarkation day, 2 for port days (because I don't stay on the ship), etc and use the estimate for purchasing my cruise cash.

This is exactly what my husband and I plan to do. We are not heavy drinkers but have planned a couple of drinks per day based on the menus folks have published (Thx BTW!). I buy AARP giftcards and purchase cruise cash with them so that our S&S account is rearing to go on Day 1 and I do not have to wait in any lines (Thx to FiremanBobsWife for that suggestion!) We are going on all day excursions on the port days. Oh & we are bringing on two bottles of wine & will get a 3rd bottle for free or 1/2 off in the steakhouse. We don’t drink alot in our regular life or on our land vacays...so purchasing Cheers would be a bust for us. Now I have family (My 70+ year old parents & my sisters) who would definitely benefit from Cheers & probably max it out every night!

It's not a contest. We don't count.

Your right, it’s not. But the countless Cheers threads breaking down cost of how many of this, how many of that, and is it worth it suggests each person looks at it differently.

This is exactly what my husband and I plan to do. We are not heavy drinkers but have planned a couple of drinks per day based on the menus folks have published (Thx BTW!). I buy AARP giftcards and purchase cruise cash with them so that our S&S account is rearing to go on Day 1 and I do not have to wait in any lines (Thx to FiremanBobsWife for that suggestion!) We are going on all day excursions on the port days. Oh & we are bringing on two bottles of wine & will get a 3rd bottle for free or 1/2 off in the steakhouse. We don’t drink alot in our regular life or on our land vacays...so purchasing Cheers would be a bust for us. Now I have family (My 70+ year old parents & my sisters) who would definitely benefit from Cheers & probably max it out every night!
Yep! That's exactly why I do this. My H doesn't drink at all, so it makes zero sense to buy Cheers for me. My last cruise, I didn't even drink the 1st day. I felt a little dehydrated, so I drank water that entire day.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Cheers package may be worthwhile on a 3 night party cruise, but few people can drink $60 a night worth of beer for seven nights straight. Perhaps folks who drink expensive liquor could make a case, but beer drinkers are going to come out ahead a la carte.

Keep in mind you may be drinking in port, where Cheers is worthless.

I'm going to try it on a 14 day cruise, and all I drink is beer:o.

I am not a big beer drinker, but my beer drinking friends could easily drink 10+ in a day

Doing it for 7 days in a row is the key. Can I drink 10 beers in one day? Yes, but the subsequent days would be minimal.

For that matter you can just add $500 on account and drink freely and see how far it takes you.

It's all a matter of perspective. For the casual beer drinker, which you and a few other recent posters are, then the program would not make much sense. Now, there are some who take advantage of the program all day long. Double espresso over ice and a fresh squeezed juice from the Havana Bar to start the day. Four beers spread over the course of the afternoon and maybe a milkshake around 300 pm. Three drinks at the Alchemy Bar during happy hour and another three after dinner. A large bottle of San Pellegrino with dinner. At this point I am over 100.00 for my tab for the day and I'm only at 10 alcoholic beverages.

So your 500.00 scenario would not work for me and others who know how to work the system and fully utilize Cheers to the fullest. And to make it even better, I prepurchase it to save the five bucks a day and also use Allstate or AARP gift cards to save another 10%. :D

It's all a matter of perspective. For the casual beer drinker, which you and a few other recent posters are, then the program would not make much sense. Now, there are some who take advantage of the program all day long. Double espresso over ice and a fresh squeezed juice from the Havana Bar to start the day. Four beers spread over the course of the afternoon and maybe a milkshake around 300 pm. Three drinks at the Alchemy Bar during happy hour and another three after dinner. A large bottle of San Pellegrino with dinner. At this point I am over 100.00 for my tab for the day and I'm only at 10 alcoholic beverages.

So your 500.00 scenario would not work for me and others who know how to work the system and fully utilize Cheers to the fullest. And to make it even better, I prepurchase it to save the five bucks a day and also use Allstate or AARP gift cards to save another 10%. :D

I agree, there are those who know how to maximize the system to take full advantage of Cheers. And what works for one doesn’t work for others.

Could I do what you suggest? Yes, but not for 7 days in a row and probably by day 3 I wouldn’t want another milkshake....ha ha.

We were Cheers skeptical until we tried it! It works for us because we budget up front and know exactly how much our vacation is going to cost. No worrying on the cruise or trying to tally as we go, which is important to us not to do (some people don't mind of course!). A normal day includes a fancy coffee in the AM, 2-3 drinks during the day (at brunch, at the pool, etc), a martini pre-dinner, glass of wine and bottle of pellegrino at dinner, 2-3 martinis after dinner, a powerade at night to recover better, and countless bottles of water. Some days less, some days more so your itinerary and cruising style should definitely be considered. But it's not as hard as it sounds to get the most of it, I've never even come close to 15 a day but we have always spent more than $52/day.

For the original question...this is from the Cheers page on Carnivals' website for drink prices...

Sample pricing for beverages found on board:

• Prices and product availability are subject to change without notice.

• Beer: $5.00 - $7.95 (mostly 16 oz.)
  • Wine by the glass: $5.95 - $12.50
  • Spirits: $6.25 - $17.00
    • Skyy Vodka and soda - $6.25; Jack Daniels and Coca Cola - $7.25; Shot of Patron Silver - $10.95

[*]Specialty Cocktails: $8.25 -$12.95

• Carnival Cosmo - $9.25; Pina Colada - $8.25; Margarita - $8.95

[*]Soft Drinks: $2.25

• Other Soft Drinks (Powerade, Iced Tea, Honest Tea and Ginger Beer): $1.95 - $4.00
    • Energy Drinks: $4.95 and up
    • Water (San Pellegrino, Perrier, Vitamin Water, Bottled Water and Coconut Water): $1.25 - $5.00

All I can tell y'all is we don't buy Cheers, I drink what I want, all I want, when I want and my wife does the same and our bar/drinks tab has never been more half what Cheers would have cost us. I've never felt cheated, or like I wasn't getting something I wanted because of worrying about costs. I don't count in my head what I'm drinking or worry about the cost. I mostly drink beer but will have a scotch or two. We got a half-off a bottle of wine with a nice gift card for my birthday last cruise. We don't like power-ades and don't care about milk-shakes and the Lido water is fine PLUS we always order a case or 2 of the bottled water. I drink black coffee and she doesn't care about specialty coffees - room service coffee is fine with milk and sugar.

IF they would sell us 1 package there's a good chance I would buy one just to see what's up but either way, Carnival and I both get what we want out of a cruise and everyone goes home happy.

I'm going to try it on a 14 day cruise, and all I drink is beer:o.

I just got off the Pride 7 day and mostly all I drink is beer.

A 16 oz. Coor's Light was $7.75. I drank 88 beers in 7 days.

It would have been $682.00 if purchased separately. Cheers was $403.00 for 7 days and included other drinks as well.

Cheers works for beers...LOL

I just got off the Pride 7 day and mostly all I drink is beer.

A 16 oz. Coor's Light was $7.75. I drank 88 beers in 7 days.

It would have been $682.00 if purchased separately. Cheers was $403.00 for 7 days and included other drinks as well.

Cheers works for beers...LOL

In your case, yes it worked. But 12 beers a day for 7 days is out of my league. Beer prices seem higher then usual. Typically domestic 16 ounce Bud Light, Miller Light, Coors etc are $5.95 plus 15% gratuity.

In your case, yes it worked. But 12 beers a day for 7 days is out of my league. Beer prices seem higher then usual. Typically domestic 16 ounce Bud Light, Miller Light, Coors etc are $5.95 plus 15% gratuity.

I was on the Pride in Feb. and the 16 oz. were 6.75 incl. gratuity. (I saved my sign and sail) They went up 1.00 in a month.:(

I was on the Pride in Feb. and the 16 oz. were 6.75 incl. gratuity. (I saved my sign and sail) They went up 1.00 in a month.:([/

That’s about right, 5.95 plus 15%. Or was it 6.75 plus 15 gratuity?

6.75 total in Feb

7.75 total in Mar

Is this true? I feel like there would have been more about this on this form. I was on the edge with cheers and this may push me over to the pro-buying side.

Feel the same way, and I sail in 4 days. The fun shop still has them listed 4 bud light 16 ounce aluminum bottles at $24. But with March being spring break maybe they “tweak” pricing. Although an .80 cent increase probably doesn’t push me towards Cheers.

Feel the same way, and I sail in 4 days. The fun shop still has them listed 4 bud light 16 ounce aluminum bottles at $24. But with March being spring break maybe they “tweak” pricing. Although an .80 cent increase probably doesn’t push me towards Cheers.

I looked into the Fun Shops purchase also and they do list the 4 for 24 but when you go to the check out, it's $7.50 delivery charge to your cabin...now it's $7.87 per beer..LOL

I looked into the Fun Shops purchase also and they do list the 4 for 24 but when you go to the check out, it's $7.50 delivery charge to your cabin...now it's $7.87 per beer..LOL

I forgot about the “delivery” charge. :')

This is not rocket science. If you're a moderate beer drinker, then Cheers is not for you. Buy the buckets and you'll make out better. If you are a heavy duty beer drinker or if you want to drink higher end alcoholic drinks like those at the Alchemy Bar, then Cheers is probably a good deal for you. I say probably because only you know how to crunch the numbers for your individual consumption. There are also many non alcoholic options included in the Cheers package that some people don't care about, while others take advantage of and are unlimited. These include hot and cold espresso based coffees, bottled water (still and sparkling), energy drinks, vitamin water, soda, milkshakes, bottled iced tea and fresh squeezed OJ on those ships with a Havana Bar.

And for those who worry that they will not drink enough on a port day, you're back on board by 4 and if you crash by 12, that gives you 8 hours to drink. And if I had an open bar waiting for me back on board, I would not spend a single dime on alcohol while in port, unless it was included already like at an all inclusive beach resort.

• Like 1