Drink Pricing

SCLGFam2008

Good Morning:

So my husband and I decided not to do the drink package this time as we will be traveling with our children and didn't think we'd get to take full advantage of it. That being said, we are typically beer drinkers but like something different on the occasion. Does anyone know what the pricing is of beers, frozen cocktails etc? Just trying to budget.

TYIA. :)

• Like 1

I don't do the Cheers package because I never drink enough to make it worthwhile and my H doesn't drink at all.

I found this Carnival Drink menu (2017 for the Sunshine). What I do is buy Carnival Cruise Cash to cover my drinks. I estimate how often I might buy a beverage - say like 3 on Embarkation day, 2 for port days (because I don't stay on the ship), etc and use the estimate for purchasing my cruise cash. Last trip, it worked perfectly! I didn't have the shocking bar bill to settle at the end of the trip.

• Like 1

I don't do the Cheers package because I never drink enough to make it worthwhile and my H doesn't drink at all.

I found this Carnival Drink menu (2017 for the Sunshine). What I do is buy Carnival Cruise Cash to cover my drinks. I estimate how often I might buy a beverage - say like 3 on Embarkation day, 2 for port days (because I don't stay on the ship), etc and use the estimate for purchasing my cruise cash. Last trip, it worked perfectly! I didn't have the shocking bar bill to settle at the end of the trip.

Thank you for the menu. I may have to re-think my potential Cheers purchase (I was assuming I'd be doing 2 drinks @ $9, 2 @10 and 2@11), but looks like $8.75 is about the max for the drinks I like.

Ok I have a question? I want to get Cheers prior to boarding because of pricing. I believe we save $5 p/day which for a 14 day cruise its $70 savings p/person:D, or $140 for both of us. Now here is our issue if we order the Cheers package now we will have to pay for it at the final payment time (I think), and we want to pay for it after the cruise or with OBC. Is it possible to order Cheers now but pay later, or do you have to pay in advance in order to get the package for the $51.95 p/day?

Good Morning:

So my husband and I decided not to do the drink package this time as we will be traveling with our children and didn't think we'd get to take full advantage of it. That being said, we are typically beer drinkers but like something different on the occasion. Does anyone know what the pricing is of beers, frozen cocktails etc? Just trying to budget.

TYIA. :)

Just get the Cheers! You can get your specialty coffees too! What about bottles of water and vitamin water to take on excursions and port days. Costs with that as well? What do your kids drink? We just stocked up daily on vitamin waters and bottles water in the room fridge and gave them to the kids saving money there. You're technically not supposed to share but i'd be darned if I was going to pay for bottles of water. You will benefit more with Cheers when you have kids. Bartenders will be cool and make virgin mudslides for them on your Cheers as well.

Thank you for the menu. I may have to re-think my potential Cheers purchase (I was assuming I'd be doing 2 drinks @ $9, 2 @10 and 2@11), but looks like $8.75 is about the max for the drinks I like.

If you plan on drinking 6 alcoholic drinks per day, even at 8.75 each puts you at a breakeven cost. Plus you’ll have the freedom with other beverages included in package.

The key is will you do this everyday of your cruise? It all sounds great, but some days you may not want to drink otherwise known as drink fatigue.

You will benefit more with Cheers when you have kids. Bartenders will be cool and make virgin mudslides for them on your Cheers as well.

I’ve never had a “cool” bartender make a virgin drink for my kids on my Cheers. I don’t think that’s the norm, and wouldn’t say this applies to all bartenders.

Ok I have a question? I want to get Cheers prior to boarding because of pricing. I believe we save $5 p/day which for a 14 day cruise its $70 savings p/person:D, or $140 for both of us. Now here is our issue if we order the Cheers package now we will have to pay for it at the final payment time (I think), and we want to pay for it after the cruise or with OBC. Is it possible to order Cheers now but pay later, or do you have to pay in advance in order to get the package for the $51.95 p/day?

You have to pay up front but not by final payment day. You can pay for this pre boarding up until 2-3 days before hand.

I’ve never had a “cool” bartender make a virgin drink for my kids on my Cheers. I don’t think that’s the norm, and wouldn’t say this applies to all bartenders.

that "cool" bartender could easily get fired, how cool would that be. Also if caught sharing with your kids you could have your Cheers revoked without refund, it's in the contract

that "cool" bartender could easily get fired, how cool would that be. Also if caught sharing with your kids you could have your Cheers revoked without refund, it's in the contract

I think Carnival could cut the “sharing” of drink packages down by offering a middle package which includes all drinks except alcoholic drinks. RC has one and its great. I hear it mentioned here too many times that people have sand plan to share their packages with their kids. Some people would share no matter what but they could entice some to do the right thing with this offering.

I didn't even ask, and she even had them brought to them at our table in a lounge listening to a band. Chocolate, cherries, banana muslides. Goes to show you how far some cash tips will take you. I also was worried about 0.00% about losing my Cheers over it. She asked for my cards at the Alchemy bar on Vista and said she'd make something nice for the kids.

I didn't even ask, and she even had them brought to them at our table in a lounge listening to a band. Chocolate, cherries, banana muslides. Goes to show you how far some cash tips will take you. I also was worried about 0.00% about losing my Cheers over it. She asked for my cards at the Alchemy bar on Vista and said she'd make something nice for the kids.

It was a nice gesture for her do it. Cash always works over the course of a cruise. That’s a completely different scenario and most would accept it if happened to them.

I think Carnival could cut the “sharing” of drink packages down by offering a middle package which includes all drinks except alcoholic drinks. RC has one and its great. I hear it mentioned here too many times that people have sand plan to share their packages with their kids. Some people would share no matter what but they could entice some to do the right thing with this offering.

Yep this exactly. I am getting my kid bottomless bubbles this upcoming cruise, me and wife are getting cheers, but she also likes powerades and other stuff they have and doesn't just want soda the whole time. I would buy her a better plan if they had one. So she will 100% be getting some powerades and vitamin waters from me cause I always get one or the other while the wife stops to get coffee.

Yep this exactly. I am getting my kid bottomless bubbles this upcoming cruise, me and wife are getting cheers, but she also likes powerades and other stuff they have and doesn't just want soda the whole time. I would buy her a better plan if they had one. So she will 100% be getting some powerades and vitamin waters from me cause I always get one or the other while the wife stops to get coffee.

I agree, it would be nice if bottomless bubbles offered more then just soda and juice. It would also be nice if they had the Coke freestyle machines like RC. I’m sure people would pay more for a better plan.

Realistically, Carnival knows sharing exists and it’s up to them to enforce it. To me, what you describe is fairly common, getting a water or Powerade to stock in room and if your kid drinks it what are you gonna do.

I agree, it would be nice if bottomless bubbles offered more then just soda and juice. It would also be nice if they had the Coke freestyle machines like RC. I’m sure people would pay more for a better plan.

Realistically, Carnival knows sharing exists and it’s up to them to enforce it. To me, what you describe is fairly common, getting a water or Powerade to stock in room and if your kid drinks it what are you gonna do.

And Carnival really doesn’t do anything more to curtail sharing other than making all over 21 buy Cheers if anyone in a cabin wants it. So this makes me believe they are making a very good profit on the Cheers package sales even with some sharing going on. There must be a lot of cruisers who purchase Cheers and really shouldn’t, cost wise. I for one just did a very generous cost analysis of what my husband and I would drink on a cruise and it was a couple hundred shy of what Cheers would cost for a 7 night cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cheers package may be worthwhile on a 3 night party cruise, but few people can drink $60 a night worth of beer for seven nights straight. Perhaps folks who drink expensive liquor could make a case, but beer drinkers are going to come out ahead a la carte.

Keep in mind you may be drinking in port, where Cheers is worthless.

Is there a benefit to purchasing the Cruise Cash? I asked a Carnival Rep and they said no . . same as purchasing on the ship . . .

, but few people can drink $60 a night worth of beer for seven nights straight. .

Keep in mind it also includes water, Gatorade, specialty coffees and most (if not all) non alcoholic beverages so they don't have to drink $60 worth of beer to make it worth it for each night.

Keep in mind it also includes water, Gatorade, specialty coffees and most (if not all) non alcoholic beverages so they don't have to drink $60 worth of beer to make it worth it for each night.

That’s true, but realistically how much water, coffee and Powerade can one person drink? I agree with the post, beer drinkers don’t make out on Cheers. I’ve done the math and it doesn’t add up for me. I don’t drink 6-7 beers a day at home. Why would I think I can do it on vacation?

That’s true, but realistically how much water, coffee and Powerade can one person drink? I agree with the post, beer drinkers don’t make out on Cheers. I’ve done the math and it doesn’t add up for me. I don’t drink 6-7 beers a day at home. Why would I think I can do it on vacation?

Yep, and I think the draft red frog beer is even cheaper. at $56/day you would need 10-11 pints to break even. Not going to happen. As for the free coffee, powerade, etc... if you are drinking that you are not drinking beer, and that stuff is cheaper than beer.

Yep, and I think the draft red frog beer is even cheaper. at $56/day you would need 10-11 pints to break even. Not going to happen. As for the free coffee, powerade, etc... if you are drinking that you are not drinking beer, and that stuff is cheaper than beer.

Exactly, and even if you drink 1 specialty coffee, 2 powerades, and 2 waters that’s probably $14 pre gratuity per day. So over 7 days it’s $98. Add in 5 beers ($6 each) per day and that’s $210. So that’s still less then Cheers. And your right, if your drinking all this your not drinking beer.

The package works for some, based on preferred alcoholic drink, and allows flexibility. Cruise lines don’t have these packages and lose money. It’s a very small percent of people who actually make out verses those who don’t. And I don’t see breaking even as a deal. For that matter you can just add $500 on account and drink freely and see how far it takes you.

And I don’t see breaking even as a deal. For that matter you can just add $500 on account and drink freely and see how far it takes you.

Breaking even is certainly not a deal. When you purchase Cheers, you must make a commitment to buy it for each day of the cruise.

How many cruisers have bought Cheers, drank too much on day 1, and got so sick they would not care for any alcohol on day 2? No refunds if you don't use it.

What if you catch the norovirus? You'll be stuck in the cabin puking. Ditto for seasickness. Are you going to get a Cheers refund if you get sick?

To balance out the risk of not using the package, you would need to come out WAY ahead. Otherwise, take the money you would have spent on Cheers and just use it to pay off the bar bill. Your wallet will thank you.