Booster Seats

hues of blue

We are cruising with our just turned 5 grandson next month and wondering about booster seats. Do we bring our own for using in the van from the airport to the port and then when are going around the islands on tours and such? I did check for San Juan and St Thomas they have the same laws as we have about using booster seats when under a certain age and weight.

Thanks

Sherri

When my DS was 5 we drive to the port, but decided not to take our booster with us. We left it in the car. We had researched our ports/excursions and knew we would either be walking or taking a bus of some sort. We did not have any plans for taking a taxi anywhere.

Last year when he was 6 we flew to Orlando and rented a car with a booster and again didn't take it with us. He did not use a booster in San Juan. Taxi driver didn't seem to even notice. Our other ports all transportation was through a bus. On the way back from the ship to the airport our transportation company brought a booster (we requested it ahead of time).

I think the you should really think about your ports and what your plans are. Even the backless boosters are a pain to lug around. If you can make use of buses or walk - then maybe you don't need one.

We are sailing in October with our tiny 5 year old granddaughter. We bought a booster seat with a 5 point harness on Amazon--- really inexpensive.

I know that Hawaii has the same car seat laws as CA. Sometimes the private tour companies have seats, but I don't want to risk it.

Patti

We've been cruising with our kids since the oldest was only 7 months old. We've sailed out of San Juan, New Orleans, and Miami. We've never taken a carseat with us and it's never been a problem.

We always take Safe Rider Travel Vests for our twins. They are easier to manage than a booster seat, don't require any installation, and our kids love wearing them. They are a pricey investment, but we travel a lot and have used ours already enough to feel they are worth the costs!