Looks like we'll be trying Princess for the first time...questions...

tea4ular

I've been cruising since 1972 (PO Orsova), and my husband since 1997, we've tried nearly every major cruise line except Princess and Disney.

Last night we placed deposits on Royal Princess Los Angeles R/T to Alaska for their Sept 2019 sailing (no flying for us, we're less than an hour from the LA port!).

I am very excited to branch out and try something new. I love (dare I say adore) the Cloud 9 spa on the few Carnival ships that have it. I see the Royal has a similar spa Enclave. I've seen photos and searched high and low but don't seem to be able to figure out how that pricing works. Is it by the day? Journey? Can anyone shed some light?

And what about that Sanctuary? What is it exactly? And how does that pricing works. Is it by the day? Journey?

Whoops, forgot this...we'll probably be traveling with another family that will have a toddler (he'll be 2 when we sail) - can anyone shed light on the "kids club" for toddlers?

The cruise lines always make me laugh with how little they actually tell you about public spaces, they give just enough to make you have questions!

Are there any cool "hidden" spots on this ship? Carnival has some really interesting "hidden" decks on some of their ships if you know where to look for them.

Any "do not miss" this on the ship? I've done the Alaska cruise before (2010), so I'm really looking for info on the ship.

I'd love to hear anything and everything.

Thanks in advance. :D:D

Having never sailed that class of ship I can't help you much but there will be plenty of folks who can tell you a lot. The one thing I can tell you is in regard to the toddler. If the child is not completely toilet trained the pools are off limits. Princess doesn't allow swim diapers or anything of that sort.

Welcome to Princess.....we have yet to sail the Royal but April 2019 we'll be aboard her to the Mexican riviera and looking forward to it. We only know the "sancuary" as a pay extra area above the spa for nicer padded loungers, personal service, for those who enjoy pampered service. It usually costs around $40 dollars per day pp, we're not inclined to use this , but on certain class ships there is an area next to it to sunbathe and use the spa pool for free. I really can't comment on the Royal class of ships as we've not sailed them, I hear the balconies are smaller and know the layout is entirely different from the ships we're used to (Ruby, Diamond, Crown type). We are at platinum level in Princess and enjoy her cruise product. While some lines are skimping on cabin service now (Carnival only services once per day) at least for now Princess still provides turn down service in the evening too.

Hello, the Sanctuary is adults only and its pay per day or half day. Relaxing place with loungers and snacks for you. Its a nice place to just relax and leave everything behind. Quite Tranquil.

If the child is not completely toilet trained the pools are off limits. Princess doesn't allow swim diapers or anything of that sort.

As it should be! That's not an issue for us, he won't be swimming. We're heading to Alaska so he won't need to swim.

Thank you.

Welcome to Princess.....While some lines are skimping on cabin service now (Carnival only services once per day) at least for now Princess still provides turn down service in the evening too.

Thank you.

Actually Carnival has instituted the choice system, morning, evening or both. I don't know how these rumors get started, but if you talk to those of us that sail Carnival, that's been all of our experience. We always request both and it is never an issue. :)

Hello, the Sanctuary is adults only and its pay per day or half day. Relaxing place with loungers and snacks for you. Its a nice place to just relax and leave everything behind. Quite Tranquil.

Is it a solarium style? My husband loves a solarium.

Thank you.

Having never sailed that class of ship I can't help you much but there will be plenty of folks who can tell you a lot. The one thing I can tell you is in regard to the toddler. If the child is not completely toilet trained the pools are off limits. Princess doesn't allow swim diapers or anything of that sort.

This is actually a USPH requirement. Some ships (Disney, for instance) have a toddler splash area with a separate water cleansing apparatus. But no cruise line that is registered in the US or cruising in US waters can permit diapered or untrained children in pools..or they risk a nice fine.

I've been cruising since 1972 (PO Orsova), and my husband since 1997, we've tried nearly every major cruise line except Princess and Disney.

Last night we placed deposits on Royal Princess Los Angeles R/T to Alaska for their Sept 2019 sailing (no flying for us, we're less than an hour from the LA port!).

I am very excited to branch out and try something new. I love (dare I say adore) the Cloud 9 spa on the few Carnival ships that have it. I see the Royal has a similar spa Enclave. I've seen photos and searched high and low but don't seem to be able to figure out how that pricing works. Is it by the day? Journey? Can anyone shed some light?

And what about that Sanctuary? What is it exactly? And how does that pricing works. Is it by the day? Journey?

Whoops, forgot this...we'll probably be traveling with another family that will have a toddler (he'll be 2 when we sail) - can anyone shed light on the "kids club" for toddlers?

The cruise lines always make me laugh with how little they actually tell you about public spaces, they give just enough to make you have questions!

Are there any cool "hidden" spots on this ship? Carnival has some really interesting "hidden" decks on some of their ships if you know where to look for them.

Any "do not miss" this on the ship? I've done the Alaska cruise before (2010), so I'm really looking for info on the ship.

I'd love to hear anything and everything.

Thanks in advance. :D:D

Enclave - It is by the voyage. Limited number of openings. Visit the spa on boarding day, deck 5 forward.

Sanctuary - $20/half day, $40/full day, $30/day if book for the full voyage. It is an outdoor facility with luxury lounges. Probably not very useful for a September cruise. Visit on boarding day.

Camp Discovery is for children ages 3 to 12 and fully toilet trained. Two years old is too young, but the parents my be able to use the facility with the child.

No really hidden spots on the Royal Princess. The ship does not have a full promenade, but there are 4 outside decks on deck 7, two mid-ship and two aft with comfortable lounge chairs. The starboard aft deck has a smoking section.

Take a look:

Piazza, deck 5 contains

International Cafe - No charge for food, open 24 hours. Nice selections.

Espresso Bar, Espresso drinks - there is a charge, think about the coffee card.

Gelato Bar - There is a charge

Vines wine bar

Piazza, deck 6 - Alfredo's, no charge, open 11am to late evening, walk in sit down waiter served pizza, calzones, salads, antipasto, and other selections, great for lunch and/or dinner.

Piazza, deck 7 - Crooner's, Great place for drinks, evening piano entertainment. Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar - menu priced sea food bar.

Wheelhouse Bar deck 7 - Watch the Princess Patter for the Pub Lunch held on some sea days, no charge

Deck 16 - Horizon Ct./Bistro buffet. Open 6am to 11pm, never closes during that time. One of the largest selections around. Made to order omelettes in the morning. All kinds of selections from grilled veggies, Asian, theme days, taco bar, salads, on and on. Walk through the entire place before making a selections. Outside tables by the Lido Pool and on the Horizon Terrace. Check out the Crab Shack ($29) held some evenings in the buffet seating area.

Can't thank you enough for all this info! Thank you.

Is there anything indoors for outside viewing like a solarium?

Also is there a couple rare for Enclave?

Enclave - It is by the voyage. Limited number of openings. Visit the spa on boarding day, deck 5 forward.

Sanctuary - $20/half day, $40/full day, $30/day if book for the full voyage. It is an outdoor facility with luxury lounges. Probably not very useful for a September cruise. Visit on boarding day.

Camp Discovery is for children ages 3 to 12 and fully toilet trained. Two years old is too young, but the parents my be able to use the facility with the child.

No really hidden spots on the Royal Princess. The ship does not have a full promenade, but there are 4 outside decks on deck 7, two mid-ship and two aft with comfortable lounge chairs. The starboard aft deck has a smoking section.

Take a look:

Piazza, deck 5 contains

International Cafe - No charge for food, open 24 hours. Nice selections.

Espresso Bar, Espresso drinks - there is a charge, think about the coffee card.

Gelato Bar - There is a charge

Vines wine bar

Piazza, deck 6 - Alfredo's, no charge, open 11am to late evening, walk in sit down waiter served pizza, calzones, salads, antipasto, and other selections, great for lunch and/or dinner.

Piazza, deck 7 - Crooner's, Great place for drinks, evening piano entertainment. Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar - menu priced sea food bar.

Wheelhouse Bar deck 7 - Watch the Princess Patter for the Pub Lunch held on some sea days, no charge

Deck 16 - Horizon Ct./Bistro buffet. Open 6am to 11pm, never closes during that time. One of the largest selections around. Made to order omelettes in the morning. All kinds of selections from grilled veggies, Asian, theme days, taco bar, salads, on and on. Walk through the entire place before making a selections. Outside tables by the Lido Pool and on the Horizon Terrace. Check out the Crab Shack ($29) held some evenings in the buffet seating area.