Rumor: NORWAY Sold for Scrap

SS Maritime is reporting that:

I have just received an email from Rajesh Shah of Kumar Steel, Alang iNDIA. He reported that he inspected SS Norway on the 11th and made a bid. However, a Bangladeshi breaker won the contract and she has now been sold for breaking up. She will depart for Chittagong soon.

I am currently taking this as an unconfirmed but credible rumor. According to a friend of mine who is well-connected in the Indian shipbreaking industry:

In all likelihood, this is true, but do not take it as 100%. The breaker that was quoted has been historically unreliable about many things of recent.

Bangladesh has a poor infrastructure in dealing with all materials other than steel. It makes little sense for NORWAY to go there, especially because the Indians have had their eye on her for several months.

I will continue to keep you updated if I hear anything further.

Terrible news if true.

Don't blame Star Cruises or NCL, they have had the Norway up for sale for awhile.

There's been plenty of time for those who wish to save the Norway to raise the money.

I've been doing some googling about the Chittagong ship-breaking yards.

What a terrible place for the SS Norway to end up.

Here's an interesting photo essay, that will bring tears to your eyes.

http://luminous-landscape.com/locations/ship-breaking.shtml

Don't blame Star Cruises or NCL, they have had the Norway up for sale for awhile.

I certainly don't blame them... I know a lot of people who do and I know there is a lot of animosity towards Star and NCL about NORWAY but frankly that is quite ridiculous.

The truth is that Star/NCL have done absolutely everything they can short of economic suicide to save this ship... If they were solely out for money they would have sold her to the breakers long ago.

Here's an interesting photo essay, that will bring tears to your eyes.

I actually had never seen that before, even though I am a regular reader of that particular site for non-ship-related reasons. Thanks for posting.

I think Michael Riechmann (author of that article) is the only Westerner I know of who has been to Chittatong. I personally know several who have been to Alang (where conditions have apparently improved greatly over the past few years) but I can't think of anyone else who has braved Chittatong.

There is no one to blame here except for time. The Norway is quickly approaching fifty years of age and has served her public well. It is sad to see a ship like this go but the cost to place diesels on board is more than anyone wants to pay. I would have rather she had sunk at sea during her tow from Miami than be torn apart but that was not to be. I am glad that I did get to sail on this great ship at least once.

I agree. While in the Navy I was stationed in a shipyard watching a ship be built, it will be hard to watch them tear one apart.

But look at it from the bright side, we'll be able to buy all sorts of momentos from the ship. A doorknob, a bed stand, a chair, a table, I could go on and on.

Hopefully NCL will save the ship's bell or horn for use on another ship. For some reason, I prefer the sweet sound of a steam powered horn over air power.

As is frequently written here, sometimes you got to make lemonade out of lemons.

Which brings up this question since cruise lines like to reuse ship's names.

What would be your reaction if NCL names one of the 2007 new built ships MV Norway?

Personally, I would think it would be okay.

I'm expecting the Sea and Sky would be the choices, that the name Norway would be reserved for the first of a larger class ship.

Likewise! May she rest in peace. I'm sure in 40-50 years time we'll be saying the same thing about the Dawn or POA, etc.

How about 10-15 years? That's when new launches will be considered "ancient" enough to be scrapped with today's disposable mindset.

I think NORWAY was done in by a combination of things: First, it's quite possible that NCL cut corners on boiler maintenance. This was apparent throughout the ship to anyone who sailed on her during her last decade. A few years earlier, NCL got off easy with a $1 million EPA fine for illegal dumping from NORWAY just because the president appeared in court looking contrite. I'd guess the purpose of the dumping was to save a few bucks. Also, I don't believe the NTSB ever issued a final report on the boiler explosion's cause. My guess: NCL did such a great job of schmoozing Congress into giving it exclusive access in Hawaii, to publish the truth about what happened on NORWAY would have made many politicians look like fools and had Carnival, RCCL, et al, screaming "No fair!"

The second reason is that so many of today's cruisers won't tolerate anything that isn't shiny, glittery, and brand-new, and they need to be entertained 24/7. That's why ships are now sporting outdoor movie screens, ice-skating rinks, and rock-climbing walls. There's no place for an elegant ocean-going vessel that isn't a floating mall/amusement park.

I'm not "blaming" NCL or Star for any of this. For them, it's business all the way. However, NCL now has nondescript ships (garish hull art notwithstanding) and a gimmick (freestyle cruising) that don't interest me in the slightest. So, after being big NCL supporter from 1988-2003, NCL has most likely lost me as a customer.

I would not want to see NCL use the NORWAY name again. As soon as they had a fleet of white ships, they treated NORWAY in their advertising like an embarrassment, although she was their "flagship" for so many years. Indeed, it was NORWAY that made NCL a major player in the cruise industry in the first place.

The thought of NORWAY's coming dismantling makes me almost physically ill. Until the moment of the explosion, that ship was was just fine and sailing full. From what I understand, she showed no outward signs of the damage. I wonder what one of today's "egg cartons" would look like after such a catastrophe, if enough pieces of it could be found?

So, the decision to forsake the NORWAY was not only economic, but a matter of style. She looks too much like a ship in an age when people prefer big white floating boxes.

Balconies are the rage today, cruise lines are getting more revenues for balconies. Cruise ships without balconies will be following the Norway to the scrappers within a decade.

And yes, it would be a great idea for NCL's first super Mega ship to be named the Norway.

Balconies are the rage today, cruise lines are getting more revenues for balconies. Cruise ships without balconies will be following the Norway to the scrappers within a decade.

And yes, it would be a great idea for NCL's first super Mega ship to be named the Norway.

I agree. If NCL decides to build a one of a kind mega ship bringing back the Norway name would be fine. Naming another Star clone Norway would be a slap in the face.

the disabled Norway is at dock in Malaysia, where scrap merchants have been looking it over.

from

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/travel/specialty_travel/cruises/13008297.htm

The Norway is not at a dock in Malaysia it has anchored in Port Klang since leaving Bremerhaven months ago. That article is from 10/30/05 and is not accurate.

This is off the maritime Matters website.

NORWAY's Fate Sealed?

December 28: Various industry sources in the U.S. and India have indicated that a firm sale of SS NORWAY (ex FRANCE) to either Indian or Bangladeshi breakers has occurred this week. The vessel has reportedly been withdrawn from the sales lists following this development. In the interim, the ship is still at anchor off Port Klang, Malaysia. More specifics are forthcoming.

I was just on this site the other day and she was still being listed for sale. Happened quick. I wonder what the future holds for the United States and Independence? My guess is that they will follow the same fate. I just don't see any cruise line putting the money into the two ships that it would take to get them operating once again when they can build brand new ships for less money with all of the bells and whistles.

I was just on this site the other day and she was still being listed for sale. Happened quick. I wonder what the future holds for the United States and Independence? My guess is that they will follow the same fate. I just don't see any cruise line putting the money into the two ships that it would take to get them operating once again when they can build brand new ships for less money with all of the bells and whistles.

The only thing keeping that from happening is they are US hulls.

Interesting the first ship for sale on the link is the LEEWARD.

Yes, American hulls can be used by NCLA, and not be limited to Hawaiian service. Their fate depends on how successful NCLA is.

Imagine the SS US or the SS Independence sailing from Seattle, or Portland to Alaska without having to stop in a Canadian port for 6 hours. It would allow longer stops in every Alaskan port, or an extra Alaskan port.

Or sailing from the West Coast to Hawaii on a longer cruise, without having to go to Mexico or Fanning Island.

There's definitely potential advantages for American hulls on the West Coast. Even if they are completely gutted and rebuilt abroad. They will still be American hulls.

On the East Coast, New York City to Florida, without stopping in the Bahamas. Not sure if this would be an advantage, but it would allow a two day stay at Port Carnivale, and a full day and night in Orlando. Today, most ships arrive and depart on the same day, because they have to stop in the Bahamas before heading back to New York.

The foreign built ship loophole in the law NCLA is using for Hawaii cruises today only applies for ships sailing in Hawaii. When the POAm sailed down the East Coast with Regis and Kelly, it wasn't a public cruise, it was completely private. No cabins were sold. It didn't restart commercial operations until it started the Panama Canal cruise. Elsewhere, only American built ships, except for two route exceptions for Canadian ship applies.

That may be why NCL has not published trans Atlantic and Panama Canal cruises for the POH yet. No TV deals for East Coast cruising. Still, I think they should be able to post a Panama Canal cruise.

What would be your reaction if NCL names one of the 2007 new built ships MV Norway?

Too soon. Most die-hard NORWAY fans (I know quite a few) would be very insulted.

Anyway, most of these die-hard fans will never set foot on an NCL ship again anyway (or at least claim that they won't) so there's not much to be gained by trying to capitalize on nostalgia.

How about 10-15 years? That's when new launches will be considered "ancient" enough to be scrapped with today's disposable mindset.

Well, today's 10 to 15 year old ships are still going strong, so I wouldn't write off NORWEGIAN JEWEL in a decade ;) !

At any rate, most ships do not get sold for scrap directly from their original operators. There is a pretty voracious appetite among second- and third-tier operators for "used" ships.

First, it's quite possible that NCL cut corners on boiler maintenance.

I am not sure that they would have cut corners on a safety issue, however there is no doubt that before the Star takeover, NCL were very cash-strapped and I know for a fact that they only did what maintenance was absolutely necessary. Cruise lines who have bought other former NCL/Kloster ships have found this out the hard way!

Under Star I think it is a totally different story, but in NORWAY's case the damage would already have been done.

to publish the truth about what happened on NORWAY would have made many politicians look like fools and had Carnival, RCCL, et al, screaming "No fair!"

Don't think they're all saints either ;) ! RCCL ships are well-maintained but at least up until a few years ago, their environmental record was pretty awful.

There's no place for an elegant ocean-going vessel that isn't a floating mall/amusement park.

There is - just not aimed at the market segment NORWAY was aimed at.

If NCL intended on keeping NORWAY, they should have marketed her at a very different type of passenger... I actually wrote up a marketing plan for her years ago. Probably still have it somewhere... I can post it later if anyone is interested.

As soon as they had a fleet of white ships, they treated NORWAY in their advertising like an embarrassment

The white ships came first! I think they stopped hyping NORWAY in the late '90s... Roughly around when NORWEGIAN SKY came out and became their "flagship". Then NORWAY gradually became the "budget" ship of the fleet.

When Freestyle came about, things got even worse as all of NCL's marketing focused on Freestyle which was not in effect on NORWAY. This means that for all intents and purposes they were not marketing her at all!

I would not make such a sweeping statement... There are ships out there without balconies that will be around for many years to come. (And NORWAY actually had balconies, though not many.)

NORWAY's demise can't really be blamed on one thing... Well, aside from the explosion that is. Otherwise it was just the sum total of changing tastes, combined with bad management and marketing at NCL (in the pre-Star days).

I would not look for a mega-ship from NCL any time soon. They have stated their commitment to Panamax vessels, for flexibility of deployment.

She is now shown as sold for scrap. I guess it is true that the ole girl is gone.

I would not take this as definite fact until we have some sort of official confirmation... Which that site is not.

I wonder what the future holds for the United States and Independence? My guess is that they will follow the same fate.

Particularly with regard to SSUS, I do not follow the "doom and gloom" theory that most others seem to be. She is a US hull so she cannot be compared with NORWAY. A lot of people also seem very impatient for something to happen with SSUS but forget that NCL said from day one that they would not be doing anything with her until the other NCLA ships had already entered service.

INDEPENDENCE is a little murkier, though I could still see them using her at some point.

Archived