Rumor: NORWAY Sold for Scrap

The NTSB Report and the people I spoke to at Sea Trade noted that it was misuse that caused the boiler explosion. Go to their website for the full details.

Even if the boiler did not explode, her operating costs were 7x that of the recent builds. 400' of plumbing lines a month were replaced. The post 9-11 $399 a week for a suite on the 7 day Caribbean bus tour for Ma and Pa Kettle did her no favors.

I was glad to sail her the one time I did. Although not the beautiful France she once was, but enough was left to get the idea.

David

I don't see a report on the NTSB website. As far as I can tell they haven't issued a report. They do say they issued their fact finding w/o analysis. IS there something on the Sea trade site that says they have made a finding? Misuse can mean anything from intentional misconduct to not knowlingly using it as intended...

It's a shame that NCL didn't have a place to permitly dock the Norway in NYC. It would have been a great place for a pre and/or post cruise stay. Just like Princess, which offers pre and/or post cruise stays in hotels of theirs in Alaska, the Norway could have been a river front hotel. A great place for NCL cruisers to stay for a few days in NYC prior to or after a cruise. It could have been a nice "vacation package" for NCL. They could have also done this with the United States in Philly. A lot cheaper then trying to make them sea worthy for cruising the open ocean, but still using these great old ships in a profitable way.

I think one of the problems with using the Norway as a floating hotel is that she contains a lot of asbestos that would have to be removed in order to make her safe according to current standards. I believe there was initially talk of selling her to the asian market because the laws there are more lieniant. I could be wrong but I thought I remember reading this somewhere.

My first five cruises were all on the Norway, and I was booked for another in August 2004, prior to her removal from service.

I will miss the uniqueness of her cabins - particularly A002 - the cabin furthest forward on A deck, where the sounds of the anchors (or perhaps bow thrusters) were very noticeable.

I will miss riding the tenders in from St. Thomas and St. Maarten, and being awestruck by her classic lines - asite that I never got tired of.

I will miss the Club Internationale. There is (was) no public room more elegant than the Club Internationale to spend an evening at sea, followed by dinner in the Windward Dining Room surrounded by those one of a kind murals. I am thankful that I have many pictures (especially my black and white ones) to remind me of an era in cruising that has passed.

Cheers RD

the disabled Norway is at dock in Malaysia, where scrap merchants have been looking it over.

from

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/travel/specialty_travel/cruises/13008297.htm

I was on the Majesty and spoke with Captain Jan Ottesen who was Master of the Norway for quite a while (I believe 9 years) and he told me that the Norway was no more. So that means no more. Too bad I would have booked a cruise on the ship just to bring back (if in spirit more than reality) sailing on the SS France.

fyi... Seatrade Insider is also reporting the same.

Norway likely headed to the breakers

3/1/2006

It looks like the end of the line for the Norway.

Sources confirmed to Seatrade Insider that Star Cruises is in serious negotiations to sell the vessel for scrap. Star Cruises spokeswoman Jane Poh had no comment.

The negotiations follow unsuccessful efforts to sell the Norway for further trade. The ship is expected to be beached at India or Bangladesh in the near future. The Norway is currently moored off Port Klang, Malaysia, where it was towed last spring after languishing for months at Lloyd Werft. The vessel had been moved to Bremerhaven from Miami following a boiler explosion that killed eight crewmen in May 2003.

Mark

• 3 months later...

My first cruise was aboard the S.S. Norway in 1996. It was a wonderful experience. My son was 10 years old at the time and we enjoyed exploring the ship. I remember how excited he was when he found what he thought was a "secret passageway" under the small pool. The smaller pool on the top deck had glass portholes. When you went into this narrow circular hallway you could look into the bottom of the pool and see the legs of the swimmers. There were actually small cabins within this corridor, although they didn't appear to be used. I loved the outside deck that went completely around the ship. It was so wide that there were two lanes - one for walking and one for running. There were two chairs under each boat davit (sp?). A wonderful place to sit and look at the stars. I'll never forget my first cruise.

We got a nice surprise from our TA Saturday. She sent us a VCR on the Norway, we have not looked at it yet and almost hate to take the plastic wrap off from it. Since we had cruised on her 15 times and had the 16th. booked when the accident happened she said we came to her mind to send it to since we loved the Norway so much. I have no idea where she got it from but from the date on the cover it has 2003 on it. I have a feeling it must have been in the office for awhile.

Long Live the Norway! She still looks like one fine ship compared to the boxy refrigerators they are producing today. I think all of us who have either sailed on the Norway or crewed on the the Norway will always love that classic ship. I hope that she ends up somewhere other than the breakers...the thought of her on a beach with a bunch of Indians cutting her up with blowtorches makes me sick.

:cool:

It should be remembered that SS Norway is full of asbestos, and when it will be clear that the peaople working with scrapping vessels are not equipped for asbestos, yepp, then we will see what happens. But the price of the steel must be good, since the quality is far better than on modern cruiseships.

Electricon, here is the quote from Maritime Matters, news. We can only hope she's not been sold to the breakers.:(

Alang Alert!

April 17: Singapore-based Star Cruises confirms their sale of SS BLUE LADY (ex FRANCE, NORWAY) but cannot divulge the identity of the ship's new owners. Will the 1035 foot liner with one of the most exquisite hulls ever sculpted slip quietly into the hands of Asian scrappers? Word from Alang is that some heavy negotiations were underway last week to bring the ship and her much-desired aluminum superstructure to the Gujarati beach. But Bangladesh and China still remain viable candidates, the latter nation less easily fettered by all the ship's recent asbestos-related notoriety.

• 9 months later...

My family and I were on the Norway in July 1994. It was just refurbished. my children had a cabin, and My husband and I had a cabin. it was the most beautiful ship we've ever been on! The service, food and ship activities were excellent. i have never been on a ship with such a midnight buffet! We've been on many cruises as a family, several of the RCCL voyager class ships, but never a ship as beautiful as the Norway. If NCL ever builds a Norway2, I'm going. if anyone went in 1994, and had a waiter named "Franklin", please write in. We have pictures of him with my kids. He was great!

Archived