Please help me conform what requirements are needed in a closed loop?

LongHill44

My kids all travel with passports, but we got them a few at a time (family of 10) so not everyone has always sailed with them. We have used both student IDs (not a government school) and non driver IDs over the years, both with birth certificate travel and now with passport travel. We lock up our passports and bring our driver/permit/non driver IDs ashore with us.

I organize group cruises and find myself in the same "boat" you. I host highly detailed social media groups to keep my people informed, especially the new cruisers. I always recommend passports but "strongly suggest" driver/permit/non driver photo ID for all ages. In this day and age, it seems prudent for children of all ages to have an officially recognised ID when visiting other countries. This covers the non passport folks as well as the others, who I strongly recommend leave thier passports locked up on the ship. Another thing I make a huge deal about is insurance. I cant make them buy it, but by golly I have not sailed without an uninsured group member yet LOL. I just feel that if one member of the group has an unfortunate event on the way to or during our cruise, and is not insured, the grief and losses would spill over to others (these people are all friends), and I am not above using that tactic to encourage everyone to travel insured.

I know that you didnt ask about this, but my biggest advice on being a trip organizer is to make sure that the expectations are managed ahead of time. Our groups always book dinner together and I work right from the beginning to make sure that everyone understands that there are NO expectations for "togetherness". Even the dinner linking is just there for convenience and everyone is welcomed to do alternate things for dinner. Its impossible to keep a group together for much and isnt even nessarily desireable. Figure out the culture of your group and start setting the expectations and putting out fires now and you will have less aggravation when you sail .

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

My kids all travel with passports, but we got them a few at a time (family of 10) so not everyone has always sailed with them. We have used both student IDs (not a government school) and non driver IDs over the years, both with birth certificate travel and now with passport travel. We lock up our passports and bring our driver/permit/non driver IDs ashore with us.

I organize group cruises and find myself in the same "boat" you. I host highly detailed social media groups to keep my people informed, especially the new cruisers. I always recommend passports but "strongly suggest" driver/permit/non driver photo ID for all ages. In this day and age, it seems prudent for children of all ages to have an officially recognised ID when visiting other countries. This covers the non passport folks as well as the others, who I strongly recommend leave thier passports locked up on the ship. Another thing I make a huge deal about is insurance. I cant make them buy it, but by golly I have not sailed without an uninsured group member yet LOL. I just feel that if one member of the group has an unfortunate event on the way to or during our cruise, and is not insured, the grief and losses would spill over to others (these people are all friends), and I am not above using that tactic to encourage everyone to travel insured.

I know that you didnt ask about this, but my biggest advice on being a trip organizer is to make sure that the expectations are managed ahead of time. Our groups always book dinner together and I work right from the beginning to make sure that everyone understands that there are NO expectations for "togetherness". Even the dinner linking is just there for convenience and everyone is welcomed to do alternate things for dinner. Its impossible to keep a group together for much and isnt even nessarily desireable. Figure out the culture of your group and start setting the expectations and putting out fires now and you will have less aggravation when you sail .

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

I made that clear right off the bat, I am not the Den Mother or Camp Counselor. We can all text one another through Carnival's app, so if I say I am doing this or that at a set time, feel free to join, if not we will catch up later. That's it, let us know what you are doing and when and if someone wants to join, that's awesome, if not, we will run into each other.

Only thing I asked for really, if they want, is to let's try and find a spot on the ship near the pool and bars and try to meet there, or at least know some of us will be there so we can enjoy each other's company. No pressure or drama

When I cruised with my mom, they asked for her marriage certificate because her name on her birth certificate did not match her license. Just a photocopy was all she needed.

We have cruised 20+ times .....and have always just used a BC & DL. Same with my children when they cruised with us. I don't understand how everyone is so judgemental and want to warn people when all they are asking/confirming required documentation for a closed loop close!! Loosen up people!!

Greysa... My wife has never been questioned eventhough her BC has maiden name on it...Probably because we are cruising together. But I do carry a copy of our Marriage License just in case!!

I always take my marriage license (because of these boards! lol) but have never been asked for it. Our last cruise I asked the check in person if she needed it because I was curious on the answer. She said no, as long as first name and birthdate match on DL and BC that's all we are looking for. This was in Port Canaveral.

If CBP says that those documents aren't acceptable then CCL wouldn't be able to accept them, and they do accept them according to their FAQ. Just because someone works for CBP doesn't mean that they are all knowing or that they can't be wrong like the rest of us. It's highly unlikely that CBP has CBP officers manning their phones (and even all CBP officers won't necessarily know the information either if they haven't worked a sea port of entry).

Just because someone works for CCL doesn't mean that they are all knowing or that they can't be wrong like the rest of us.

CCL has their own requirements, which are not always the same as CBP. CCL's rules are what they require to board the ship. CBP's rules are what they require to return to the US from international travel, which may or may not be enforced at any given port. CBP is more concerned with your re-entry into the US. If a CBP agent is having a good day and has no reason to suspect you are entering illegally or trying to smuggle contraband into the country, they very well may never ask you for, or closely scrutinize, your documentation. If they are having a bad day or have some suspicion, they can detain you until you can produce the required documentation.

It is worth your effort to spend some time on travel.state.gov and cbp.gov/travel

It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Just because someone works for CCL doesn't mean that they are all knowing or that they can't be wrong like the rest of us.

CCL has their own requirements, which are not always the same as CBP. CCL's rules are what they require to board the ship. CBP's rules are what they require to return to the US from international travel, which may or may not be enforced at any given port. CBP is more concerned with your re-entry into the US. If a CBP agent is having a good day and has no reason to suspect you are entering illegally or trying to smuggle contraband into the country, they very well may never ask you for, or closely scrutinize, your documentation. If they are having a bad day or have some suspicion, they can detain you until you can produce the required documentation.

It is worth your effort to spend some time on travel.state.gov and cbp.gov/travel

It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

First, I wasn't talking about the CCL phone reps because, yes, they can be wrong too. I was talking about what is published on CCL's FAQ on their website which has been quoted in this thread. CCL HAS to abide fully by the DHS regulations and can be sanctioned for not doing so. If they say on their website that they can take a school ID or a photocopy it is only because CBP has authorized it. If CBP won't accept it than CCL could not accept it, either. Yes, CBP officers can have bad days too but sending someone to secondary inspection (aka detaining them) is not something they do lightly or frivolously because they have to answer to their supervisors for doing so.

I always take my marriage license (because of these boards! lol) but have never been asked for it. Our last cruise I asked the check in person if she needed it because I was curious on the answer. She said no, as long as first name and birthdate match on DL and BC that's all we are looking for. This was in Port Canaveral.

That's good to know. I have a passport, but also a birth certificate as a backup. I was wondering if they would accept it without a copy of my marriage license. I don't think anything will happen to my passport because I am very OCD about it, but I like to always have a plan B.