Freedom of the Seas

Haven't been on this ship in over 10 years. It has been refurbished since. Has anyone recently cruised on it?

Looking at October leaving out of San Juan. Wondering how San Juan is and the other islands regarding the hurricane.

thanks.

Haven't been on this ship in over 10 years. It has been refurbished since. Has anyone recently cruised on it?

Looking at October leaving out of San Juan. Wondering how San Juan is and the other islands regarding the hurricane.

thanks.

We just sailed on her Dec 2017 and are going again 3-31-18. Not much has changed The Crept (disco) is now a Mexican Rest. They also have coke machines. I thinks she really needs dry dock soon carpets in room and dinning room chairs are a little beat up! Regardless I still love Freedom and this next cruise will be my 7th time but I feel in love with the Harmony so future cruise will likely be on it.

Can't wait to BE at SEA!!!

DD

I just got off of Freedom this past Saturday, March 11. This was my first cruise and I have no other ship to compare it to, but I was very pleased with the overall condition of Freedom. Two things that I noticed, but they weren’t terrible, were that some of the MDR chairs and Arcadia Theater seats had some worn places (I’d say that most were fine). The carpeted areas are a little worn (obviously not new carpet), but not showing the amount of wear I typically see in many hotels. I was expecting to see a lot more wear in my stateroom, but both my husband and I thought that it looked pretty updated. It was a great cruise and we loved the ship! She was beautiful!

Edited by RVSeaLover
Added last sentence.

We just booked an October '19 out of San Juan on Freedom. Noticed on the RCI site that the deck plans change with future dates, and that usually means a refurb of some sort.

Was on sister Liberty last October and it was amazing. I can only assume Freedom will be just as great!

Freedom is the only ship in this class I haven't been on. Was ready to book the Adventure for another B2B out of San Juan when it was changed to Freedom...I booked for this September 8th & 15th and have gotten a couple of price drops and so far the price point to date for my JS is awesome :D:D

thanks.

We got off the Freedom Feb. 25th, and to us, the ship was in great shape. Sure it is showing some of it's age, but it didn't bother us.....it's still a great ship. We sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale. Regarding the islands, oh my goodness...there is so much destruction! From what we understood, San Juan had tons of damage, but it didn't seem to affect the touristy stuff that's by the port. We didn't take a tour, so thankfully we didn't see all the mass destruction. As far as St. Maarten, most of the shops downtown are open, but some of the beachfront restaurants were being rebuilt. There are boats just piled upon one another not far from where we docked. We then took a tour, and it was unfathonable and heartbreaking to see the extreme amount of destruction! Orient Beach is completely gone...it got washed away, as did many other beaches. There were endless piles of boats on top of one another throughout the island, completely destroyed and abandoned. Many hotels/resorts along the shoreline got so much damage, they are abandoned and won't be repaired. Roofs are off of so many buildings, and section after section of homes, schools, etc. are destroyed. Many structures only have part of one wall still standing, Our guide said he didn't know if any of this would be rebuilt. And the saddest part is, there are still people living in some of the homes that are in shambles. We've never seen anything like this! I can't imagine what the people living on this island went through during the hurricanes! What we saw in the states on TV, paled in comparison to seeing it in person! It makes you really appreciate what we all have. Our last stop was supposed to be Labadee. However, when the ship pulled into port and docked, due to high winds and waves,we left after about thirty minues.

thanks.

We did not see any hurricane issues in San Juan a couple of weeks ago.

We did not see any hurricane issues in San Juan a couple of weeks ago.

What about the other ports you visited? Would appreciate hearing your opinion.

Also Bob...a bit off topic...but what JS cabins have you enjoyed on Vision? I'm booked for May 2019 and am reading so many negatives about the true aft's and the extreme vibration. Any suggestions what would be a good JS location? At this point I can move to #8064 or #8062 from #8590...I know it's a long way off but just wondering what I should keep my eye out for. Thanks.

What about the other ports you visited? Would appreciate hearing your opinion.

Also Bob...a bit off topic...but what JS cabins have you enjoyed on Vision? I'm booked for May 2019 and am reading so many negatives about the true aft's and the extreme vibration. Any suggestions what would be a good JS location? At this point I can move to #8064 or #8062 from #8590...I know it's a long way off but just wondering what I should keep my eye out for. Thanks.

We did not get off the ship in St. Maarten. Downtown St. Thomas looked pretty good. Still some damage visible, but that is the exception. We were there on Sunday, the only ship in port that day, and a great many shops that are normally closed on Sunday were open.

I don't think there's a perfect JS location on Vision. Anywhere you go you will have some noise from the pool deck or you're too close to the Centrum. I'd pick starboard side, at least 8 staterooms aft of the Centrum. Starboard because the carts going to Park Cafe are usually running on the port side.

We did not get off the ship in St. Maarten. Downtown St. Thomas looked pretty good. Still some damage visible, but that is the exception. We were there on Sunday, the only ship in port that day, and a great many shops that are normally closed on Sunday were open.

I don't think there's a perfect JS location on Vision. Anywhere you go you will have some noise from the pool deck or you're too close to the Centrum. I'd pick starboard side, at least 8 staterooms aft of the Centrum. Starboard because the carts going to Park Cafe are usually running on the port side.

Thanks so much...great tip. Vision isn't a favorite with having the JS only on deck #8 but the itinerary (May 18, 2019) is too hard to pass up.