Stockholm itinerary

cfly

I will have one day in Stockholm, on a Friday, ship docked at Stadsgarden from 8 until 5.

I would appreciate feedback on the itinerary I am considering for the day,

8:30 depart ship, board HOHO Boat, head to Vasa for 1.5hour touring on our own

10:30 walk from Vasa to Skansen, tour, eat, for 2 hours

12:45 leave Skansen, take HOHO boat to Gamla Stan

1:15 Gamla stan walk, including Royal Palace visit, twohours

3:45 HOHO boat back to ship (Would 4 pm be too late) Are we likely to have to line up for the HOHO boats?

We will be on HAL Zuiderdam. Does anyone have any feedback on how long it will take to disembark. Do you know if people start lining up to disembark at 8am. or should we just go down at 8:30?

I have read that people who book cruiseline tours get to disembark first. I am wondering how they can enforce such a rule. Thanks for your feedback.

If you get to vasa right as it opens, it will be empty and you will be able to move around easily. There’s also a very good movie. You might want more time here, or you might be able to do this in an hour and a half - it just depends on how fast you usually are in museums.

Skansen is huge - just know ahead of time exactly what you want to see and how to get there (there are different entrances depending on which part of the park you are visiting). We visited the open air lemur exhibit and aquarium, which was great. You might prefer the historic buildings. Just figure out what you want to do in advance.

I love old town. The palace and the summer palace are lovely. Did Vasa once and thst was enough for me. I rather be in the palace.

Robin, You probably don't remember me, but I met you on our very first cruise--Eclipse 1/2011 Caribbean. We had lunch together in St. Maarten. I have wondered about you over the years. Glad you're still cruising! We are doing the Baltics in June, so I'd welcome any tips you have, especially for Stockholm b/c we don't have any firm plans yet.

thanks for the feedback. At the moment I think we will do VASA. Although I am not that interested in all things Viking, it does seem to appeal to many people. Then we will do Old Town, including the Palace. We will skip Skansen so we will not be rushed all day and can just enjoy each place we do visit.

No one commented on how long it takes to disembark at ports, or if cruise ships have a way of actually preventing passengers from disembarking early if they are not on cruise ship tours..

I like your new plan much better. I was going to suggest skipping Skansen. Of the things you listed it would fall to the bottom of my list. Do not think you can call the Vasa a Viking ship. It was when built one of the great warships of its time. The naval architects got a little greedy when adding armaments and down it went. It is a fascinating exhibit as is the story of how it was recovered and is still being restored.

Time in Gamla Stan and the palace will well occupy the remainder of your day. After our Baltic cruise we had to return to both Norway and Sweden for more. We are back again this summer to the fjords You will enjoy Stockholm.

Since you will be docking the ship should empty fairly quickly. The priority for ships tours is more of an issue at tender ports.

The reviews on Skansen were really mixed. The aquarium part was very well designed, and let you get very close to the animals. I would imagine the historical part is also very well designed. But the issue with Stockholm is there is so many wonderful things to see, you need to pick and choose what you’ll enjoy most. Galma Stan is gorgeous, and vasa is a really special experience. If there’s something at Skansen you’d like to see, you should go but otherwise I think it’s fine to skip. We liked it, but each visitor needs to prioritize what’s most important to them.

I don’t know how Hal handles disembarking. Stockholm was a little tough on the ncl star since everyone is trying to get off the ship first thing. It’s a good day for room service breakfast since the buffet is really crowded, and it’s crowded trying to get off early