New to Holland-- quick question about movies

luv-my-kids

We are planning a cruise with Holland. (not sure what ship yet) We have been on several Princess cruises and really enjoyed all the "on demand" movies on The Regal Princess and Royal Princess. When I spoke with the HAL agent she said they also offer on demand movies but it was very limited to about 10 movies. I called back again and was told the "on demand" movies had a HUGE selection of new on demand movies. Can someone please confirm either way?

Thanks

We are planning a cruise with Holland. (not sure what ship yet) We have been on several Princess cruises and really enjoyed all the "on demand" movies on The Regal Princess and Royal Princess. When I spoke with the HAL agent she said they also offer on demand movies but it was very limited to about 10 movies. I called back again and was told the "on demand" movies had a HUGE selection of new on demand movies. Can someone please confirm either way?

Thanks

We don’t watch movies in our cabin, but the booklet with titles is quite thick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Probably both answers were right, but not very helpful. Sorry about the confusion. It will depend upon which ship you choose. The newer, bigger HAL ships like the Konigsdam, or ones that have had cabin upgrades will have more in-cabin entertainment choices.

The older ones that have not yet been upgraded more likely will not - but there is a very large list of DVD's still available to play in your cabin, just not on demand in your cabin. What cruise were you starting to look at. HAL does have more smaller and older ships than what you find on much of the Princess fleet, so this probably not a good comparison for what for some of the HAL ships. The Konigsdam would probably be the closest equivalent to Princess.

Still not much help, right? If you can narrow down to a few possible HAL ships, others with direct experience can help you. I know we were surprised how many in-cabin movies were available on the Nieuw Amsterdam that we never had on our more usual smaller, older HAL ship choices.

General guideline for age and size:

Konigsdasm - Eurodam -Nieuw Amsterdam - largest, newer, most likely to have the most in-cabin entertainment

Zuiderdam- Noordam - Westerdam - Oosterdam - middle - larger but not as new - getting refurbished one by one

Maasdam, Veendam, Zaandam Volendam, Amsterdam, Rotterdam - smallest and oldest HAL- also getting upgraded one by one

Prinsendam - in a class by herself - smallest and oldest of all, but still called the Elegant Explorer -she is a special journey ship

Probably both answers were right, but not very helpful. Sorry about the confusion. It will depend upon which ship you choose. The newer, bigger HAL ships like the Konigsdam, or ones that have had cabin upgrades will have more in-cabin entertainment choices.

The older ones that have not yet been upgraded more likely will not - but there is a very large list of DVD's still available to play in your cabin, just not on demand in your cabin. What cruise were you starting to look at. HAL does have more smaller and older ships than what you find on much of the Princess fleet, so this probably not a good comparison for what for some of the HAL ships. The Konigsdam would probably be the closest equivalent to Princess.

Still not much help, right? If you can narrow down to a few possible HAL ships, others with direct experience can help you. I know we were surprised how many in-cabin movies were available on the Nieuw Amsterdam that we never had on our more usual smaller, older HAL ship choices.

General guideline for age and size:

Konigsdasm - Eurodam -Nieuw Amsterdam - largest, newer, most likely to have the most in-cabin entertainment

Zuiderdam- Noordam - Westerdam - Oosterdam - middle - larger but not as new - getting refurbished one by one

Maasdam, Veendam, Zaandam Volendam, Amsterdam, Rotterdam - smallest and oldest HAL- also getting upgraded one by one

Prinsendam - in a class by herself - smallest and oldest of all, but still called the Elegant Explorer -she is a special journey ship

Wow.....Thanks for all the good info . We were looking at the -Nieuw Amsterdam.

We liked the Nieuw Amsterdam a lot, and we are among die-hard smaller and older is better HAL cruisers. Good choice to be looking at - and she has been recently upgraded, even though we thought she was very lovely already last year. When they finally put all the older, smaller HAL ships out to pasture, and we have to chose a larger HAL version, she would certainly be our first pick.

I disembarked the Nieuw Amsterdam this past weekend. Lots and lots of movies. You need to toggle between genres to see them all.

There are tons of movies, documentaries and tv series to choose from on the Nieuw Amsterdam tv's. I was on the NA this past December. I watched several movies and got hooked on watching Downton Abbey!

There are several ways to watch movies.

On those ships where the TVs have not been upgraded, there will be three channels that will show a different movie on each channel in a constant loop. The movies will change each day.

There will also be a DVD player and a booklet "Ship's Flicks" that list a large selection of discs that will hopefully be available to borrow (some have gone astray).

There will also be a showing in the main theater of 1 -2, maybe more, recent movie releases On the Rotterdam two weeks ago, "I, Tonya" and "The Greatest Showman" were shown.

The Wajang theater will also show a movie several times a day.

On ships with upgraded TVs, there will be a large selection of on demand movies (selection not as large as the Ship Flicks DVDs). Those ships will also have movies on TV channels and movies in the main theater, On the Zuiderdam in January 2018, the movies were "Victoria and Abdul' and "Murder on the Orient Express." The Wajang Theater will also have a movie each day.

Are the movies free?

Ship Flicks and the movies in the Wajong Theater are free. I haven't been one one of the updated ships yet, but my guess is the movies would be free on those as well. You can even grab a small bag of free popcorn just before the movies are shown in the Wajong Theater each day.