Project Runway?

BlueHerons

Thank you for that awesome recap CJW! I had forgotten how much I had liked some of the designs, particularly those that ended up in the "unremarkable" or safe category. Sometimes I think the better designs go by unnoticed because the producers or judges are looking for some drama.

In any event, I think Casanova was unduly aufed in the Resort Wear challenge..... maybe it's because I am over 40 but I liked his design, and I think the judges were completely out of touch with the typical resort client. I mean think about who you see at resorts- not many women in their 20's because, let's face it, they are not the ones with the money. (Celebrities notwithstanding, of course.)

I honestly don't know where the Michael C drama came from.... all of a sudden in the hat challenge his win sparked a lot of resentment, yet no one was upset over Gretchen's second win in a row for making plumber's coveralls. Often it makes me wonder if some of the pettiness between designers isn't artificial or somehow amplified by the producers, but of course we will never know, although TG on more than one occasion has publicly expressed his distaste for some of the problems this season. The whole "cheating" nonsense should have been a non-starter, seeing as how the tape wrappers were found in the ladies room which tends to suggest the model was using them on her own.

In any event, I agree with you that Gretchen is overrated and I am really hoping that Michael C goes to Fashion Week instead of her... Gretchen's been a big snooze over the past month and I think, like Valerie, she lost steam after the first few challenges.

Hey everyone!

I'm pulling through in the "home stretch" here...

I think it tells a major story, when you really look at everyone's work throughout the season.

I'm judging this based on their creativity within the actual Challenge - so thumbs up is great for the challenge, thumbs up with smile is great for the challenge and good design as well (and vice-versa for the thumbs down).

More comments later, but for now I wanted to post these so you at least have two full days and a week to really re-think the season...

I'm not going to waste time on everybody, as it just isn't worth it...

So, you get the top five!

i just want too say '' what an adorable baby. she is so cute and i want to give her alot of hugs and kisses. you are '' not '' to proud i am sure ;)

Edited by dustyroad

Curt, thanks for posting the recaps. I didn't realize, until you showed all of April's designs, how one-note she really was. I think we all tend to look at the designs compared only with the other designers and think "Oh, that's an original take!" rather than comparing them with her own work and thinking, "Hmmm.....didn't we see that two weeks ago....?"

Also made me realize that Michael C. really is better than I was giving him credit for. Something about his attitude on the show, I think (maybe a certain insecurity) leads you to discount him. I think the other designers sensed this and that's why they made him the scapegoat for the season.

Finally, I think Mondo's show will be really fun to watch on the runway.

Welcome back, Curt! And what a lovely addition to your life! Congratulations!

Mondo first. Anything else is just wrong. But, that could happen. I'm still griped about Gordana.

Michael second -- I was liking a lot of his stuff through the season but with everyone else dissing him, I figured "what do I know?" Thanks for the recap, Curt, to show who he is.

I rather like April. If I was my former body, I would totally want to wear her clothes. However, I'm only picking her for 3rd because I cheated and looked at the runway pictures. Quite the change. And, I still like her.

Gretchen last. Like maybe 7th? LOL!

Color me disappointed. Michael C. shot himself in the foot. But I thought his stuff looked overdone even when Tim was looking at it. It's almost like he was (badly) channeling Laura Bennet. I think he is very insecure -- did anyone notice how he kept listening so intently and nervously in the workroom while Tim critiqued everyone else? Perhaps he really couldn't have handled being the winner.....

Andy and Gretchen both left me underwhelmed. I sure hope they can pull out a little more of a "show" for the actual runway show. :cool:

Tough episode to watch .. I don't remember ever seeing anyone crumble quite like that .. and it is too bad because I really liked two out of three of his looks this time. The feathers were cringe inducing when they made that skinny model look large.

Gretchen's looks were just blah to me.. and not really anything new. Heidi may have said "why not" to the back of her "eleventh" look .. but I can think of a whole lot of reasons why not ...

I liked Andy's green dress (if it had about 3 more inches on the bottom) and I actually thought the romper was kind of fun.. but the bikini .... not so much.

Not sure I agree with Heidi that Mondo's polka dot dress was sophisticated but I thought it was fun ..and could be worn on a cruise .. just picture it with bright red or yellow accessories. His other looks were cute but not really as interesting as I was expecting. Still he hasn't shown anything that makes me think he won't win this.

I also wanted to comment on the head pieces. Andy had some fabulous ones on his work table when Tim visited .. and then he chose those for the runway .. think Andy think!

Gretchen's looks were just blah to me.. and not really anything new. Heidi may have said "why not" to the back of her "eleventh" look .. but I can think of a whole lot of reasons why not ...

Didn't it remind you of the canvas bag that goes behind carriage horses to catch the manure? :eek: That was the first thing I thought of when she turned around!:rolleyes:

I was so sad for Michael.

At least he really did get to show his line... like others... at fashion week.

So my #2 (Michael) and # 3(April - haha on me -- I picked her for 3 AFTER she was auf'd)

Sadly, no matter how much I shouted at the TV, the out come was what it was.

Sigh:(

Ugh, we had the worst reception during the initial airing, so I taped the later one, but I haven't had time to watch it yet.

Of course I slugged through the bad reception and saw most of the episode. I have to say that I wasn't impressed by any of the final four collections. A good collection can be inspiring and amazing, something you just want to look at again and again. I didn't feel that way with any of them.

That said, I think Mondo has the most potential to do a collection like that, just not this season. 5326Jan, I didn't like that particular dress that Gretchen made, the back flip looked weird and silly, but now that you mention it, I can see what you mean and I doubt I'll ever be able to look at that dress the same way again. :p

I think it is hard on the designers to go through this process. They get good criticism and it helps them to look at their work with new eyes. However, most of them are slightly thrown off of their own creative voice in the process. It takes time to find their balance again. Sometimes the time between taping the regular episodes and the fashion weeks is enough for the contestants, but sometimes it is not. for this group, I think they could have done with another three to six months...course then it wouldn't be much of a contest.

To be honest, I'm always hoping for another Jay McCarroll. I loved his PR collection! So amazing!

And I have to post this, just in honor of Michael C...

pr-mc.jpg

It's not perfect, but there's a lot I love here

That top that is paired with the pants is phenomenal

His evening gowns are beautiful

And I love the colors...

And before the show - while I like her line of shoes and purses (they're fun) - Jessica Simpson is continually on the worst dressed lists all over the Hollywood Industry.

She dresses alternatively as a tramp, or a frump...

She has a very short, stocky, hugely boobalicious body (she looks like she'll fall over at any moment from being so top heavy) - so I don't know what the point of her "judgment" is going to be...

She's a very, very nice girl - but seriously worst final judge ever!

Oi!

And before the show - while I like her line of shoes and purses (they're fun) - Jessica Simpson is continually on the worst dressed lists all over the Hollywood Industry.

She dresses alternatively as a tramp, or a frump...

She has a very short, stocky, hugely boobalicious body (she looks like she'll fall over at any moment from being so top heavy) - so I don't know what the point of her "judgment" is going to be...

She's a very, very nice girl - but seriously worst final judge ever!

Oi!

Thanks for the warning about JS being the guest judge. Can't stand her so will keep the mute button at the ready.