Project Runway?

BlueHerons

I agree with the judges choices this week.

Natalie Portman was a disapointment. I was under the impression that she was smarter. Her comments were all about "me" and whether she would want to wear the dress or not. Too bad she didn't "get it". But then, I guess what can you expect from someone who has stylists and dressers always making them look good? They're naturally good looking and then don't need to develop an appreciation and understanding of fashion because they have staff that does it for them. It's why models often have such bad taste.

I think it's unfair to the contestants to have judges who are starlets because too many can't think beyond their own personal tastes....unless the task is to make something specifically for them.

I think the guest judges should be people with a wider world view. I'd love to see Carolina Herrera and Betsy Johnson as guest judges. Totally opposite POV, yet totally in tune with what's going on in a competition like this.

Well not every guest judge can be perfect but I think Natalie was right on!!!! I agree with all the judges on the top three and bottom three. Loved the dress that Suede's made its going to be interesting what comes next!!!!!:p

The winner of the competition is going to have Blue fly make the dress and sell it on their site.

That dress that Suede is so intricate, reproducing it is going to be pricey. With all that work, the dress would need to retail for at least $2000. and that's machine made!

It really is an awesome dress.

Can't wait to see it on Blufly! Did they say when it would appear? I imagine sometime around holiday.

That dress that Suede is so intricate, reproducing it is going to be pricey. With all that work, the dress would need to retail for at least $2000. and that's machine made!

It really is an awesome dress.

I thought about that too. I wondered if they'd choose the dress Kenley made as the winner instead, as it looked like it would be easier to reproduce. I'm glad his won though -- it looked like a piece of art!

Click here for Suede's dress info...

I'm not sure how they are doing it for so little, but I suppose the extremely limited supply answers that.

I think it's more PR for them, than actually making a profit.

http://flypaper.bluefly.com/archives/2008/07/own-suedes-winning-project-run-1.html

I thought that they might choose Kenley's dress as the winner, just because it was more realistic to manufacture as well.

Okay, so my issue with this challenge is that it had too many criteria that were all over the place.

First make a cocktail dress with your model as the client.

That's already a challenge.

But then, if the model is the client, they should have given them at least 5 or 10 minutes to discuss what kind of fabric to find.

But, no the models are sent willy nilly with no idea or concept.

So the fact that the models are buying the fabric with no input from the designers is another separate challenge.

And the minor challenge of designing a dress to be sold on Bluefly is a sales and marketing challenge unto itself!

Then, they have to use only natural fabric (eco-ish). This is also so limiting that it is a challenge on it's own.

So it's really four separate challenges, and it really becomes luck of the draw for the designers on what their models bring back.

That being said...

It is also challenges like this that show the top designers.

The ones that get to the top are the ones that "make it work" somehow (or at least enough to get through each elimination) no matter the challenge.

So Suede wins!

rate_runway_13_502.jpg

Wouldn't this almost be considered Haute Couture?

(in a good way)?

I think he deserved the win for somehow being able to take all the lemons and make beautiful lemonade.

My only concern (already addressed above) was the ability to manufacture it.

But I guess they resolved that issue.

Stella gets third place in the top three!

Or should I call her Sleather (Sleth-ah!)

Wow if Pinky Tuscadero and Leather Tuscadero were still around, Stella would have clients for life!

rate_runway_12_502.jpg

I wasn't that lurving this. I kind of feel like they put her up there to justify keeping her in from last week. She is making funny TV, so if she's up there - the producers won't get as many complaints about keeping her on the show as long as they can.

Mid-Packers...

Here's my person who was robbed for the week.

Terri!

rate_runway_14_502.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if she is the one the producers are trying to "hide" from us. (I know there is one, I just don't know who yet).

This should have been top three. Definitely better than Sleather's.

This also (I thought when seeing them all on the runway) was one of the most versatile dresses to sell on Bluefly. I could see more women or more age groups and styles wear this dress than almost all the rest.

Cruisewear!

I'm calling her potential underdog for now.

This one was also pretty good for Blayne.

rate_runway_01_502.jpg

I think he completely and totally lucked out on the fabric though.

I don't think he could have handled the trickier fabrics other people got.

But was he the one that yelled out to his model what to get?

(Someone did - which I thought was smart - so whoever it was I give them points for thinking on their feet while a lot of the other designers were dumbstruck).

The rest of these are varying degrees of "meh" (okay but not exciting) or not quite working, but somehow better than the bottom three in the judges eyes.

Emily

rate_runway_03_502.jpg

Somehow, it's just not quite working. I just kept feeling uncomfortable, like her girls were not going to be able to stay in there, and she'd be wearing the top as a belt.

Bottom Three = Korto

rate_runway_10_502.jpg

The seams are on the outside so it's inside out.

I actually thought that it could be an interesting concept or design.

I do think that she has something here. I just think it's going to take a lot more trial and error (not in a competition) to figure out how to make this work.

It's the very first baby steps on a fabric manipulation idea, in the same mind set at some of Christian's work.

Leanne

rate_runway_11_502.jpg

I'm a bit torn on this one. I don't think that it was as bad as they made it out to be. It seems pretty well made and more interesting than some of the others.

I just can't help but imagine that if you had to make a Sophie's Choice on wearing this dress or wearing for example Jerell's, Emily's or Keith's - there are a lot of women who would be more comfortable strolling around a cocktail party event in this.

Just a thought and observation.

Would any of you choose to wear this if you had to choose over one of the above mentioned dresses?

If you think about it, is there one of them that is worse or less wearable than Leanne's here?

And Wesley is aufed.

rate_runway_15_502.jpg

This just kind of combined the weaknesses of everyone's garments into one.

And because two other people used the same fabric better, it just made it look even worse.

It wasn't simple enough like Joe's to be aware of the fabric's limitations, but it also wasn't adventurous enough like Leanne's to at least try something different.

So a deserved auffing.

He is dating Daniel though now after the show.

And you've seen in some of my menswear threads, I'm having issues with his shorts!

I'm going to have to try to cap a picture of them. They are way to short and way too wide for his chicken legs. They would have fit and looked better on someone like Jack from last season.

A little bit longer and more tailored for you Wesley, please!

;)

Click here for Suede's dress info...

I'm not sure how they are doing it for so little, but I suppose the extremely limited supply answers that.

I think it's more PR for them, than actually making a profit.

http://flypaper.bluefly.com/archives/2008/07/own-suedes-winning-project-run-1.html

I thought that they might choose Kenley's dress as the winner, just because it was more realistic to manufacture as well.

That dress for $280.00??? Not a prayer! (rolling my eyes for you curt!)

Oh C'mon. I know it's a loss leader for Bluefly but there's no way that dress can be made for that little money.

Three Choices:

1. It's either going to be a different dress - and they'll copy the colors and the tulle and try to convince shoppers it's the same dress. Duh?

2. Bluefly is going to make the real dress, and then charge it to their advertising budget and it'll be something for the press to tawk about. They'll lose money in garment profit, but it'll be considered marketing money well spent.

3. It's going to look like garbage. A cheap wannabe!

That dress is waaaaay too intricate to be made for $280. No way, no how!

I loved Daniel's little black dress. It was too short but I think he ran out of fabric. I would totally wear that dress...IF it were longer!

I think Daniel is being hidden away. The camera barely flashes on him when he's working and his runway shots are minimal.

I also liked Jennifer's orange and grey dress. I could see where others wouldn't, it was quirky, but I liked it alot.

Jerrell's - the blue Pocahonatas - was absurd. Really disgusting.

Wesley's was so poorly made, I think the judges had to choice but to get rid of him.

Curt, I too had problems w/ his shorts. Ugh!

So he and Daniel are now dating? Do keep us posted! :D

I have a question: Tim tells them at the beginning "You have until midnight to finish the dress." Then it's 12 minutes to midnight and really none of them are finished and some of them are realllyyy not finished. So then they come back in the next morning and they have more time . . . how did they get more time? Isn't the morning supposed to be adjustments to the models and tying up the loose ends, so to speak?

I was thinking the same thing...I am glad you brought this up, because I thought I had just misunderstood or misheard him at first