Snorkeling LFK

Duwayne

Hey all. My wife and I love to snorkel and have been doing it quite a while. The last time we were in Roatan we went to West Bay and had a good time although it was quite crowded. This time we are on Carnival and are not thinking we want to do the long ride back to WB. LFK looks nice but I can't find any posts from advanced snorkelers about the shore snorkeling from there. We don't like doing guided tours. Any info would be appreciated.

Hey all. My wife and I love to snorkel and have been doing it quite a while. The last time we were in Roatan we went to West Bay and had a good time although it was quite crowded. This time we are on Carnival and are not thinking we want to do the long ride back to WB. LFK looks nice but I can't find any posts from advanced snorkelers about the shore snorkeling from there. We don't like doing guided tours. Any info would be appreciated.

From what I understand the only way to access the reef from LFK is via boat. It is on the windward side of the island, this means not the calm quiet of West Bay snorkeling but fighting waves.

Maya Key offers independent snorkeling on the leeward side of their small island or Cocoview is a bit protected from the open water, one would need to pay a day pass at Fantasy Island then swim the channel to Cocoview's Front Yard.

It may be possible to contact one of the restaurant/ accommodation in Sandy Bay, they may offer a lunch/adult beverage along with allowing you to use their pier to access the reef. I know people have down so while staying in West Bay.

From what I understand the only way to access the reef from LFK is via boat. It is on the windward side of the island, this means not the calm quiet of West Bay snorkeling but fighting waves.

Maya Key offers independent snorkeling on the leeward side of their small island or Cocoview is a bit protected from the open water, one would need to pay a day pass at Fantasy Island then swim the channel to Cocoview's Front Yard.

It may be possible to contact one of the restaurant/ accommodation in Sandy Bay, they may offer a lunch/adult beverage along with allowing you to use their pier to access the reef. I know people have down so while staying in West Bay.

Thanks. Do you know if the snorkeling on Maya is decent?

• 1 month later...

We didn't enjoy the snorkeling at LFK. There really isn't snorkeling from the beach, a few small fish but it's a sandy bottom no coral. We took the boat out to the reef but it was a bit rough and dark. This is fine for some, but me and my daughter didn't enjoy it much. We prefer more shallow clear snorkeling.

• 1 month later...